Aktuelle Treiber für Octopus(ddbridge), CineS2(ngene/ddbridge), DuoFlex-S2, DuoFlex-CT, CineCT sowie TT S2-6400 (Teil 2)

• Hello,

I recently decided to wipe the filesystem of my HTPC, and start all over again with Ubuntu 13.04 mini. (3.8 kernel)
    My problem is getting my Digital Devices Cine S2 to work. In the past I did get it to work, I think with the help of this thread too ... but I don't remember exactly.

I followed the page 1 howto, and it completed with no errors, additionally I also added ngene_18.fw in /lib/firmware.

The card won't show up in tvheadend.
    Please help! :)

sudo lspci ---vvvnn

It says nothing about a kernel driver in use, is this the problem? Just guessing here.

syslog snippet:

Code
    Oct 22 18:04:18 Media-PC kernel: [	2.473843] nGene PCIE bridge driver, Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Micronas
    Oct 22 18:04:18 Media-PC kernel: [	2.473875] ngene: Found Linux4Media cineS2 DVB-S2 Twin Tuner (v5)
    Oct 22 18:04:18 Media-PC kernel: [	2.475226] ngene: Device version 1
  • The card won't show up in tvheadend.
    Please help!

Maybe then you could let the tvheadend community work for you?

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• Oh ... my bad. I just now realised this is for yavdvr ... :)

not really, but the portal is about VDR. This is the reason why it is named vdr-portal.

Problem is solved now though. Reinstalled 12.04 and then getting media-build-experimental-dkms fixed everything.

This is from yaVDR.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• not really, but the portal is about VDR. This is the reason why it is named vdr-portal.

This is from yaVDR.

Gerald

Well, the card not showing up in tvheadend didn't mean it is a tvheadend problem. The driver wasn't installed and that's why I asked here, seeing as this thread is about installing the drivers for my card. I don't understand why you would redirect me to the tvheadend community. However, the media build package is working and I'm glad for that. :)

• Gerald
    Well, the card not showing up in tvheadend didn't mean it is a tvheadend problem.

This is true, but this isn't a VDR problem either.

The driver wasn't installed and that's why I asked here, seeing as this thread is about installing the drivers for my card.

Why not let the tvheadend community members do the work for you, if you decided to use their software?

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

• Gerald,

May I ask you why you are so unfriendly in all your responsens from people searching help on the driver written by the yaVDR-team? ;(

I had exactly the same problem swobu and when I posted questions here you was as arrogant to my search for help as you were to swobu... ;(

Thanks to user heinbloed in post Aktuelle Treiber für Octopus(ddbridge), CineS2(ngene/ddbridge), DuoFlex-S2, DuoFlex-CT, CineCT sowie TT S2-6400 (Teil 2) who was helpful and pointed me in the right direction to solve this problem. :cool1

Gerald, you are right in that the problem is not caused by neither TVHeadend or VDR but due to a bad Linux-driver for the Cine S2 v6.5 card from Digital Devices.

The only driver I have found that is working with is the one found at https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/main and it is your team "yaVDR team" that his written it if I understand it correctly. And I love that driver you have created since it works perfect. Thanks! :thumbup:
    That is the reason why people like meswobu is asking for help on that particular driver in this forum... :huh:

(however, recently I also found the following interesting threads and repos: http://support.digital-devices…ledgebase.php?article=124 and http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/ where Oliver Endriss has recently uploaded an updated driver)

Swobu, look at my recent post in the thread found at TVHeadend forum: https://tvheadend.org/boards/5…/9563?r=9645#message-9645 and you might find some more info you require more help.

• May I ask you why you are so unfriendly in all your responsens from people searching help on the driver written by the yaVDR-team?

I am not unfriendly, maybe that I am not friendly, but why should I? The yaVDR-Team has not written any Driver, we only packaged them. If you ask for help, then you want that somebody works for you. But I want decide myself when I work for somebody for free.
    I packed the Driver for the user of yaVDR. This was already enough work. I am not interested to work for everybody.

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

• I packed the Driver for the user of yaVDR. This was already enough work. I am not interested to work for everybody.

Gerald,

Nobody is asking for you to work for everybody.

User swobu asked a friendly question about the getting the driver for Cine S2 card to work and was hoping that someone with similar experience might have a working solution. This was not a question about neither TVHeadend or yaVDR but simply about the Cine S2 driver.

Ok so the yaVDR-team has not written the driver? Sorry that was my impression since I found it in the PPA from the yaVDR-team. Who is the author for the driver?

Is it Oliver Endriss and therefore the same driver as can be found at http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/ ?

• Who is the author for the driver?

Is it Oliver Endriss and therefore the same driver as can be found at http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/ ?

As stated here Oliver (UFO) ist "only" maintaining the repository (and keeping the driver alive and improving it). AFAIK Ralph Metzler is the original author.

KODI, tvh, arch x86_64, Octopus net 2 x Duoflex C/C2/T2 , NUC7i3BNH, Crucial MX300 2TB, LG LM 669S

Linux is the best OS I have ever seen -- Albert Einstein

• Nobody is asking for you to work for everybody.

But you, a tvheadend user, asks for help in the vdr community. Most of this communities have many people that ask for help, and only a few members that are able to help. So this members get a heavy workload.
    Why not spread this between the communities?

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

• But you, a tvheadend user, asks for help in the vdr community.

Hold on, I did NOT ask for help on TVHeadend! I asked for help on the driver listed in this thread. It has nothing to do with either yaVDR or TVHeadend.
    And I have asked for help in all kind of Linux VDR / XBMC and other media communities

And one of the VERY few places I have found useful information about getting the Digital Devices CineS2 v6.5 to work under Linux (in my case Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu 13.10) was in this particular thread. And I got help and was able to get it to work properly thanks to all the helpful people in this thread.

I have tested both yaVDR and TVHeadend and I am experiencing exactly the same problem with both those backend PVR systems running under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 13.10, i.e. my tuner card does not get recognized in any of those backend softwares EVENTHOUGH the kernel in these two Ubuntu releases should recognize the card automatically according to the manufacturer Digital Devices:

It was not until I found this thread and the information about the driver found at https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/main that made it possible for me to get the tuner card recognized PROPERLY in Ubuntu.

So instead of yelling at each other about "wrong thread", "I do not want to work for everybody", "go somewhere else stupid" and so on, please help if you can and if you can't help, be quiet instead of being arrogant or rude...

• I have to agree with CrazyFin here.

Information about this niche subject is really hard to find, and when you finally come to the right place only to get told to go away and seek help elsewhere is really unjustified.

This thread has a howto on page 1 for installing the _driver_ for the card. When someone has trouble getting the drivers to work after following the howto, he should reply to the same thread right? I mean, that's how forums work. It is totally irrelevant whether we use TVHeadend or yaDVR. This thread is about the driver. I don't know what more there's to say, CrazyFin already worded it really nicely and I find myself agreeing.

I also don't understand seeing different users as different communities. Why not spend 3 minutes of your time to provide information about something, that would take the user 3 hours to google, or even be impossible to find information about? This is all very specific and there's very few people who have actual knowledge about this. Please, don't make it even more specific by seeing different users as different communities and refusing to help community x.

No offense intended though. I am really grateful that you and yaDVR provide this package that fixed my problem! :)

CrazyFin: did you get to test the endriss media build yet? Any noticeable improvements?

• Why not spend 3 minutes of your time to provide information about something, that would take the user 3 hours to google, or even be impossible to find information about?

I tried to explain this already, this doesn't scale very good. 3 Minutes for this question, 3 Minutes for another question of another one. Soon there is no free time left for coding, or building new packages. The User needs this 3 hours only one time. The helper has to spend this 3 minutes for an endless stream of questioners over and over again. This user that needs this 3 hours for solving this problem is most often not a big help in the community and very seldom you will see him coming back for helping other clueless users.

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

• I tried to explain this already, this doesn't scale very good. 3 Minutes for this question, 3 Minutes for another question of another one. Soon there is no free time left for coding, or building new packages. The User needs this 3 hours only one time. The helper has to spend this 3 minutes for an endless stream of questioners over and over again. This user that needs this 3 hours for solving this problem is most often not a big help in the community and very seldom you will see him coming back for helping other clueless users.

Gerald, me and all other user really appreciate all the time you spent for coding and building packages. This is what I am trying to say in my comments. If you can´t help right out do not spend time in commenting on user requests. Better to spend your time on doing the coding and package building which is really good for all us other users.

I really like the work you do so please bare with all us newbies in the Linux-world. I have been a very experienced Windows user (and programmer) for 20 years now and I am trying to move over to Linux more and more.

Anyway, let´s stop this "flaming" now and keep up the good work instead.

swobu: I downloaded the new media driver by Oliver Endriss from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/
    However, I ran directly into problems when I was doing the final compilation with error messages like "Can't locate Proc/ProcessTable.pm in @INC (@INC contains:"
    Google was my friend again (as most of the time) and I found this cool solution written by..... :] Gerald! Cool! 8) Problem with tv tuner installation.

Eventhough I was now able to go through the compilation without any errors (and reboot), Ubuntu could not detect my card completely. It does indeed show my tuner card(s) when I check with

Throwing the command

dmesg | grep -i DDB

I see only

[ 2.511725] Digital Devices PCIE bridge driver, Copyright (C) 2010-11 Digital Devices GmbH
    [ 2.511760] DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices PCIe bridge

I was hoping to see something like:

DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices Cine S2 V6.5 DVB adapter
    DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)
    DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)

As soon as I install the driver package from the yaVDR-team it works directly.

I have no clue why the driver from yaVDR-team works and the driver from Oliver Endriss does not work (for my CineS2 v6.5 cards). Maybe soimeone can explain the difference between those two driver packages? Looks like everyone who has problems with the one from Oliver Endriss when using the Cine S2 cards seems to have success when using the driver from yaVDR PPA?

• I have no clue why the driver from yaVDR-team works and the driver from Oliver Endriss does not work (for my CineS2 v6.5 cards). Maybe soimeone can explain the difference between those two driver packages?

Afaik there is no difference. They take the driver, and create a package suitable for yaVDR.

Zitat

Looks like everyone who has problems with the one from Oliver Endriss when using the Cine S2 cards seems to have success when using the driver from yaVDR PPA?

If the yaVDR package works for you, why do you try to build the driver by yourself? :rolleyes:

It seems that you do not have much knowledge about driver compilation/installation, so you run into all possible pitfalls. In the first post there are some hints what needs to be done (sorry, in German).

If you have a problem, attach the relevant part of the logfile. Without that no one is able to help you.

CU
    Oliver

• Afaik there is no difference. They take the driver, and create a package suitable for yaVDR.

Yes that is what I felt too since the driver names seems to be identical and the process info I see during installing the package from yaVDR-team shows quite much similar info as when I try to build and compile myself.

If the yaVDR package works for you, why do you try to build the driver by yourself?

He he I totally agree that it sounds strange but as an experienced window user I am now trying to move more and more into the Linux world and really want to learn and understand how building and compilation works.

It seems that you do not have much knowledge about driver compilation/installation, so you run into all possible pitfalls. In the first post there are some hints what needs to be done (sorry, in German).

That is also correct and that was the reason why me (among many others) found this interesting thread here with a lot of good info on the Linux driver for the CINE S2 cards from Digital Devices.

I have for example followed the steps at http://support.digital-devices…ledgebase.php?article=124 (which looks almost identical to the steps you have written in post no 1 in this thread)

And step 1 to 4 works fine without any error messages.

It is when I come to step 5 and try to execute the command

sudo modprobe ddbridge (note that on the webpage Digital Devices have actually written the command erroneously: sudo modeprobe ddbridge)

I get the following error message when I try the command above:

/usr/src/media_build_experimental$ sudo modprobe ddbridge
    FATAL: Error inserting ddbridge (/lib/modules/3.8.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/media/pci/ddbridge/ddbridge.ko): Invalid argument

After a reboot I see the following when I do command "dmesg | grep -i DDB":

ngene-octopus-test: 406ffecccbec6e22da954a07b7398292330bc767 ddbridge: Add ID of Digital Devices Octopus V3.
    ddbridge: disagrees about version of symbol cxd2099_attach
    ddbridge: Unknown symbol cxd2099_attach (err -22)
    ddbridge: disagrees about version of symbol cxd2099_attach
    ddbridge: Unknown symbol cxd2099_attach (err -22)

• He he I totally agree that it sounds strange but as an experienced window user I am now trying to move more and more into the Linux world and really want to learn and understand how building and compilation works.

Then look into the package. There is no magic inside.

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

• CrazyFin
    as you have probabely seen by searching for your error message, that is a common issue.
    You do have multiple versions of v4l kernel modules installed (e.g. ddbridge.ko). and now they do not match (stock ones and the newly copied ones by make install).
    put the 1st post in google-translator , and read carefully, especially below "warning:"

Zum Guggen: yavdr0.6 + Silverstone GD04 + Intel DH57DD + Intel G6950 + Nvidia GT630 + Unicable/Jess-Sat (JPS0501-12) mit DD/L4M Max8 + 4TB WD-red + bequiet SFX300W
    Zum Testen : yavdr-Ansible + GMC Toast + B365M+i3-8100+ Nvidia GT1030 + L4M CineS2v6 o. SAT>IP Plugin mit DD-O'net
    VaaS (VDR-as-a-Service): yavdr06 + ML03+DH67BL+G530+2GB RAM + 2TB WD-EARX + Zotac GT610 + L4M v5.4 + bequiet SFX300W
    Squeezeboxserver: DN2800ML im Streacom F1CS NAS: HP ProLiant MicroServer NL36+ Smart Array P212

• heinbloed

Yepp, I found a lot of posts about the same error being caused by multiple v4l kernel moduless installed. I saw those warnings in the 1st post but I did not really understand how to remove the wrong kernel versions.

I tried to google around about removing duplicate kernels but I could not find any clear solution on how to do it.

I see the following translated text from post 1:

"It is recommended that before "make install" the "media" directories under
    - / Lib / modules / <kernel-version> / kernel / drivers
    - / Lib / modules / <kernel-version> / kernel / drivers / linux / drivers / staging
    to out of the way, ie from "/ lib / modules / ..." to move out! (Delete is not recommended because you want to restore the previous state if necessary.) "

sorry but this is confusing for me.. ?(
    I do not understand what I should do in this step to remove/move away old kernels?
    Should I for example move away something from the /lib/modules/3.8.0-29-generic/kernel/drivers directory before I make the "sudo make install" command?
    My newest kernel is "3.8.0.32-generic".

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!