Beiträge von CrazyFin

Aribaaaa! :bounce2 :bounce1

I went for a NEW and BRAND clean Ubuntu 12.04.3 install since my tests so far has been experimental to learn about Ubuntu, XBMC and other media/PVR-related stuff under Linux.

And you know what..... UFO! Your driver works now and loads properly!!

dmesg | grep -i ddb shows now the following:

[ 2.555903] ngene-octopus-test: 406ffecccbec6e22da954a07b7398292330bc767 ddbridge: Add ID of Digital Devices Octopus V3.
    [ 2.561690] DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices Cine S2 V6.5 DVB adapter
    [ 2.561776] DDBridge 0000:03:00.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
    [ 2.566954] DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)
    [ 2.566959] DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)
    [ 2.566960] DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)
    [ 2.566962] DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)
    [ 2.785771] DDBridge 0000:03:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...
    [ 2.820757] DDBridge 0000:03:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...
    [ 2.976587] DDBridge 0000:03:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...
    [ 3.012576] DDBridge 0000:03:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 3 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...

This is so nice to see! :strike1

Now I´ll spend some more hours on the remaining and (easy) part... :gap

heinbloed

Yepp, I found a lot of posts about the same error being caused by multiple v4l kernel moduless installed. I saw those warnings in the 1st post but I did not really understand how to remove the wrong kernel versions.

I tried to google around about removing duplicate kernels but I could not find any clear solution on how to do it.

I see the following translated text from post 1:

"It is recommended that before "make install" the "media" directories under
    - / Lib / modules / <kernel-version> / kernel / drivers
    - / Lib / modules / <kernel-version> / kernel / drivers / linux / drivers / staging
    to out of the way, ie from "/ lib / modules / ..." to move out! (Delete is not recommended because you want to restore the previous state if necessary.) "

sorry but this is confusing for me.. ?(
    I do not understand what I should do in this step to remove/move away old kernels?
    Should I for example move away something from the /lib/modules/3.8.0-29-generic/kernel/drivers directory before I make the "sudo make install" command?
    My newest kernel is "3.8.0.32-generic".

Afaik there is no difference. They take the driver, and create a package suitable for yaVDR.

Yes that is what I felt too since the driver names seems to be identical and the process info I see during installing the package from yaVDR-team shows quite much similar info as when I try to build and compile myself.

If the yaVDR package works for you, why do you try to build the driver by yourself?

He he I totally agree that it sounds strange but as an experienced window user I am now trying to move more and more into the Linux world and really want to learn and understand how building and compilation works.

It seems that you do not have much knowledge about driver compilation/installation, so you run into all possible pitfalls. In the first post there are some hints what needs to be done (sorry, in German).

That is also correct and that was the reason why me (among many others) found this interesting thread here with a lot of good info on the Linux driver for the CINE S2 cards from Digital Devices.

I have for example followed the steps at http://support.digital-devices…ledgebase.php?article=124 (which looks almost identical to the steps you have written in post no 1 in this thread)

And step 1 to 4 works fine without any error messages.

It is when I come to step 5 and try to execute the command

sudo modprobe ddbridge (note that on the webpage Digital Devices have actually written the command erroneously: sudo modeprobe ddbridge)

I get the following error message when I try the command above:

/usr/src/media_build_experimental$ sudo modprobe ddbridge
    FATAL: Error inserting ddbridge (/lib/modules/3.8.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/media/pci/ddbridge/ddbridge.ko): Invalid argument

After a reboot I see the following when I do command "dmesg | grep -i DDB":

ngene-octopus-test: 406ffecccbec6e22da954a07b7398292330bc767 ddbridge: Add ID of Digital Devices Octopus V3.
    ddbridge: disagrees about version of symbol cxd2099_attach
    ddbridge: Unknown symbol cxd2099_attach (err -22)
    ddbridge: disagrees about version of symbol cxd2099_attach
    ddbridge: Unknown symbol cxd2099_attach (err -22)

I tried to explain this already, this doesn't scale very good. 3 Minutes for this question, 3 Minutes for another question of another one. Soon there is no free time left for coding, or building new packages. The User needs this 3 hours only one time. The helper has to spend this 3 minutes for an endless stream of questioners over and over again. This user that needs this 3 hours for solving this problem is most often not a big help in the community and very seldom you will see him coming back for helping other clueless users.

Gerald, me and all other user really appreciate all the time you spent for coding and building packages. This is what I am trying to say in my comments. If you can´t help right out do not spend time in commenting on user requests. Better to spend your time on doing the coding and package building which is really good for all us other users.

I really like the work you do so please bare with all us newbies in the Linux-world. I have been a very experienced Windows user (and programmer) for 20 years now and I am trying to move over to Linux more and more.

Anyway, let´s stop this "flaming" now and keep up the good work instead.

swobu: I downloaded the new media driver by Oliver Endriss from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/
    However, I ran directly into problems when I was doing the final compilation with error messages like "Can't locate Proc/ProcessTable.pm in @INC (@INC contains:"
    Google was my friend again (as most of the time) and I found this cool solution written by..... :] Gerald! Cool! 8) Problem with tv tuner installation.

Eventhough I was now able to go through the compilation without any errors (and reboot), Ubuntu could not detect my card completely. It does indeed show my tuner card(s) when I check with

Throwing the command

dmesg | grep -i DDB

I see only

[ 2.511725] Digital Devices PCIE bridge driver, Copyright (C) 2010-11 Digital Devices GmbH
    [ 2.511760] DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices PCIe bridge

I was hoping to see something like:

DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices Cine S2 V6.5 DVB adapter
    DVB: registering new adapter (DDBridge)

As soon as I install the driver package from the yaVDR-team it works directly.

I have no clue why the driver from yaVDR-team works and the driver from Oliver Endriss does not work (for my CineS2 v6.5 cards). Maybe soimeone can explain the difference between those two driver packages? Looks like everyone who has problems with the one from Oliver Endriss when using the Cine S2 cards seems to have success when using the driver from yaVDR PPA?

But you, a tvheadend user, asks for help in the vdr community.

Hold on, I did NOT ask for help on TVHeadend! I asked for help on the driver listed in this thread. It has nothing to do with either yaVDR or TVHeadend.
    And I have asked for help in all kind of Linux VDR / XBMC and other media communities

And one of the VERY few places I have found useful information about getting the Digital Devices CineS2 v6.5 to work under Linux (in my case Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu 13.10) was in this particular thread. And I got help and was able to get it to work properly thanks to all the helpful people in this thread.

I have tested both yaVDR and TVHeadend and I am experiencing exactly the same problem with both those backend PVR systems running under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 13.10, i.e. my tuner card does not get recognized in any of those backend softwares EVENTHOUGH the kernel in these two Ubuntu releases should recognize the card automatically according to the manufacturer Digital Devices:

It was not until I found this thread and the information about the driver found at https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/main that made it possible for me to get the tuner card recognized PROPERLY in Ubuntu.

So instead of yelling at each other about "wrong thread", "I do not want to work for everybody", "go somewhere else stupid" and so on, please help if you can and if you can't help, be quiet instead of being arrogant or rude...

I packed the Driver for the user of yaVDR. This was already enough work. I am not interested to work for everybody.

Gerald,

Nobody is asking for you to work for everybody.

User swobu asked a friendly question about the getting the driver for Cine S2 card to work and was hoping that someone with similar experience might have a working solution. This was not a question about neither TVHeadend or yaVDR but simply about the Cine S2 driver.

Ok so the yaVDR-team has not written the driver? Sorry that was my impression since I found it in the PPA from the yaVDR-team. Who is the author for the driver?

Is it Oliver Endriss and therefore the same driver as can be found at http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/ ?

Gerald,

May I ask you why you are so unfriendly in all your responsens from people searching help on the driver written by the yaVDR-team? ;(

I had exactly the same problem swobu and when I posted questions here you was as arrogant to my search for help as you were to swobu... ;(

Thanks to user heinbloed in post Aktuelle Treiber für Octopus(ddbridge), CineS2(ngene/ddbridge), DuoFlex-S2, DuoFlex-CT, CineCT sowie TT S2-6400 (Teil 2) who was helpful and pointed me in the right direction to solve this problem. :cool1

Gerald, you are right in that the problem is not caused by neither TVHeadend or VDR but due to a bad Linux-driver for the Cine S2 v6.5 card from Digital Devices.

The only driver I have found that is working with is the one found at https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/main and it is your team "yaVDR team" that his written it if I understand it correctly. And I love that driver you have created since it works perfect. Thanks! :thumbup:
    That is the reason why people like meswobu is asking for help on that particular driver in this forum... :huh:

(however, recently I also found the following interesting threads and repos: http://support.digital-devices…ledgebase.php?article=124 and http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss…media_build_experimental/ where Oliver Endriss has recently uploaded an updated driver)

Swobu, look at my recent post in the thread found at TVHeadend forum: https://tvheadend.org/boards/5…/9563?r=9645#message-9645 and you might find some more info you require more help.

No, don't give a report. The packages in this ppa are totally off topic in this thread and I have no interest in any reports for it, as I know the package is working in yaVDR with stock kernels.

Ah sorry! I am obviously totally in the wrong thread then when trying to get help for this issue?

I guess I should go to http://www.yavdr.org/ to find more help on this?

Hi all

I had a fine working setup but I needed to rebuild my chassi and at the same time I thought I do a new clean install since my previous install was a quite messy initial test setup (being a Linux-newbie...)

Anyway, I have installed the Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS version that I downloaded today from Ubuntu.com
    After the fresh and clean install I also ran all available updates according to the Update Manager.

Directly after the above installations and after a reboot and started to add the drivers for my Cine S2 v6.5 card by adding the repository from https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/unstable-main:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yavdr/unstable-main

and then I do:

sudo apt-get install media-build-experimental-dkms

however, the compilation fails at the end giving me system error reports and this is what I find in the make.log after compilation exits with an error:

----------------------

DKMS make.log for media-build-experimental-0~20130831.210530 for kernel 3.8.0-31-generic (x86_64)
    Sun Oct 20 18:46:03 CEST 2013
    make -C /var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/v4l
    make[1]: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/v4l'
    Updating/Creating .config
    make[2]: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/linux'
    make[3]: Entering directory `/var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/linux'
    Unapplying patches
    patch -s -f -R -p1 -i ../backports/v3.2_alloc_ordered_workqueue.patch
    patch -s -f -R -p1 -i ../backports/v3.2_devnode_uses_mode_t.patch
    patch -s -f -R -p1 -i ../backports/v3.8_config_of.patch
    patch -s -f -R -p1 -i ../backports/v3.10_fw_driver_probe.patch
    patch -s -f -R -p1 -i ../backports/pr_fmt.patch
    patch -s -f -R -p1 -i ../backports/api_version.patch
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/linux'
    Applying patches for kernel 3.8.0-31-generic
    patch -s -f -N -p1 -i ../backports/api_version.patch
    patch -s -f -N -p1 -i ../backports/pr_fmt.patch
    patch -s -f -N -p1 -i ../backports/v3.10_fw_driver_probe.patch
    patch -s -f -N -p1 -i ../backports/v3.8_config_of.patch
    drivers/media/dvb-core/dvbdev.c was already patched
    drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-dev.c was already patched
    drivers/media/rc/rc-main.c was already patched
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/linux'
    ./scripts/make_kconfig.pl /lib/modules/3.8.0-31-generic/build /lib/modules/3.8.0-31-generic/build
    Preparing to compile for kernel version 3.2.0

***WARNING:*** You do not have the full kernel sources installed.
    This does not prevent you from building the v4l-dvb tree if you have the
    kernel headers, but the full kernel source may be required in order to use
    make menuconfig / xconfig / qconfig.
    ----------------------

and at the end of the log file I see the following exit error:

---------------
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./scripts/rmmod.pl line 4.
    make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/lib/dkms/media-build-experimental/0~20130831.210530/build/v4l'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

----------------------

I am so confused since on my previous Ubuntu installation this installation of media-build-experimental-dkms package installed and compiled without any errors and I was able to detect the CineS2 6.5 card properly.

Anyone with some tips on what to do?

Aribaaaa!! :respekt

It works on the first attempt after installing the package

"sudo apt-get install media-build-experimental-dkms"

and then when compiling was done (took a while) reboot.

Now the dmesg output shows that the kernel registers the DVB-adapter (4 adapters since it is a quad tuner card). Wonderful!

I was also able to remove the prev package by going to the directory "/media_build_experimental" and there doing

"sudo make rminstall"

Big thank you to the VDR team for this package making a Linux-newbie's life easier! :lovevdr

I can now continue with the next steps in creating my TV-server under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Hopefully I will have a good combo with all modules running nicely during the weekend... :schiel

Zitat

If you are running 12.04, then I would recommend using the media-build-experimental-dkms package of the yavdr team.

With that you would get current Drivers with a simple packageinstall. And with each new kernel the modules will generated automatically. Much easier + much more convenient.

Hint: As the modules will becompiled during the package install, the install may take a while..

Ok great. I will look into that tonight back at home.

Do I have to do some kind of uninstalling of the current package before I install the package from https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/main/

Sorry but since I am pretty new with Ubuntu (and Linux overall) I am not sure of the procedure to install the new package.

Is it just for me to follow the instructions at https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/main/# (under the subwindow "Technical details about this PPA")?

------
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/main/ubuntu 12.04 main (or should I write "Precise" instead of the version number "12.04"?)
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/main/ubuntu 12.04 main (or should I write "Precise" instead of the version number "12.04"?)
    ------

or should I follow the instructions found at https://launchpad.net/+help-soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html ?

I tried to search in this thread but couldn´t find a clean example on the procedure. Sorry.

Ah! Found the following quote:

It's very simple as it requires only installing a package:
    "sudo apt-get install media-build-experimental-dkms"
    Then reboot.

Is the above enough to get the package installed and compiled?

Hi

I am trying to get my Digital Devices Cine S2 rev 6.5 card to work with TVHeadend and I have no success in that. TVHeadends drop-down list where I should be able to select my tuners is empty.

I have tried to follow the instructions in post number 1 by UFO on how to install the driver (and firmware) but unfortunately no success in getting TVHeadend to see the CINE S2 card.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with all the updates until yesterday.

The output of "lspci" shows the following:

====================
    03:00.0 Multimedia controller: Digital Devices GmbH Octopus DVB Adapter
    Subsystem: Digital Devices GmbH Cine S2 V6.5 DVB adapter
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at fbdf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [70] MSI: Enable- Count=1/2 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [90] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0000 Rev=0 Len=00c <?>
    Kernel driver in use: DDBridge
    Kernel modules: ddbridge

04:00.0 PCI bridge: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. Device 8892 (rev 10) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=04, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=32
    Capabilities: [90] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [a0] Subsystem: Device 0000:0000
    ====================

so the card seems to be recognized by Ubuntu?

However, the output of "dmesg" shows the following:

[ 2.511725] Digital Devices PCIE bridge driver, Copyright (C) 2010-11 Digital Devices GmbH
    [ 2.511760] DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices PCIe bridge

I was hoping to see something like:

DDBridge driver detected: Digital Devices Cine S2 V6.5 DVB adapter

It definately looks like the adapter is not being registered at all since I am not able to see the above messages when doing "dmesg"?