VDR show scheduling but NOT recording.

• I want to find a show in the EPG and select it to watch. Then when the time comes, VDR will switch to that channel but NOT record. Is there a way to do this or will it be an option in the next update of VDR?

Sometimes you just want to schedule to watch shows but not actually record them. I'm using version 1.3.12 btw. Really suprised this feature isn't included (that I can see)!

Thanks.

• IMHO there is no sense in such a feature. When you want to see a show, you can record it and watch the recording that time YOU want to watch it. When deleting recordings is as easy as with VDR, there is no reason not to record it.

mfG.

Andreas

• Every other DVB has this feature except VDR so it must make some sense to have it! Also, there's no reason to use the hd if you don't need to. Recording everything is just extra steps that are unnecessary. And also, what if the VDR system isn't designed to record in the first place? A lot of guys have installed VDR onto very old and SMALL harddrives they had laying in a closet.

• hi folks,

well there is the "switch-only" patch which does exactly what you want. i've installed the so called "mini-patch" (includes "switch-only") on vdr 1.3.6 which extends the standart channel information, shown wenn switching channels.
    as lang as the channel-information is visible you you have the following options

red: does nothing
    green: displays the content information for the running show
    yellow: display the content information for the upcoming show
    blue: sets a "switch-only" timer for the upcoming show

if i hit the yellow key followed by the red key a real recording is programmed for the upcoming show.
    in addition the normal timer-menu is extended by a blue switch-only button so you are able to programm switch-only timers for every show listed in the epg.

hth,
    schelli :sonne

Scenic D6 Umbau; Asus-P3B-F; Celeron 633Mhz; 256MB; 360GB; DVD+-RW; DD5.1; GLCD 240x128; 1x DVB-S Rev. 1.6

• Zitat

Original von jinx
    Every other DVB has this feature except VDR so it must make some sense to have it! Also, there's no reason to use the hd if you don't need to. Recording everything is just extra steps that are unnecessary. And also, what if the VDR system isn't designed to record in the first place?

VDR stands for Video Disc RECORDER.

Zitat

A lot of guys have installed VDR onto very old and SMALL harddrives they had laying in a closet.

Why are they using VDR, when they don't want recording? Wouldn't it be much cheaper and more comfortable for them to use an simple DVB-Receiver for 50€ that boots up in 10s and makes no noise than bying an expensive FF-DVB-Card for a PC and not using the features of it.

mfG.

Andreas

• Zitat

Original von agebel
    Why are they using VDR, when they don't want recording? Wouldn't it be much cheaper and more comfortable for them to use an simple DVB-Receiver for 50€ that boots up in 10s and makes no noise than bying an expensive FF-DVB-Card for a PC and not using the features of it.

Do receivers like you described have the requested feature?
    I don't think so.

By the way:
    Why do you try to convince someone that his idea is (in your opinion) nonsense?
    Anyone who wouldn't like a feature like that doesn't have to use it, I don't understand the discussion?

And besides: I would have liked to have a feature like this a couple times, too.

Not every show is THAT important that you need it recorded. If it's on and you're too: fine, better than watching junk. If not: don't bother to consume space on the HDD. That's the simple idea behind that.

• I also searched for a patch or plugin to to get non-recording-timers in vdr...
    my father owns a Dreambox (which has such timers) and this is the only feature I'm really missing (in vdr)...
    I only found a patch (the one mentioned above), but it doesn't work anymore for current versions of vdr (but I have to say, that I didn't try very hard to get it to work)

Is there a way to implement this feature in recent or future versions (1.3.12+), I don't yet know?
    Or is there a chance to "persuade" the developer to include a record/non-record option in the normal settings of the timer...?

Mav

hardware: zotac hd id41 - tt s2 3600
    betriebssystem: yavdr 0.4/0.5alpha1

• Zitat

Original von agebel
    VDR stands for Video Disc RECORDER.

why then is there a mp3/vcd/dvd/etc. plugin?!
    i don't see the point why there shouldn't be such extensions just because VDR stands vor video disc recorder. please explain!

schelli :sonne

Scenic D6 Umbau; Asus-P3B-F; Celeron 633Mhz; 256MB; 360GB; DVD+-RW; DD5.1; GLCD 240x128; 1x DVB-S Rev. 1.6

• Zitat

Original von schelli

why then is there a mp3/vcd/dvd/etc. plugin?!
    i don't see the point why there shouldn't be such extensions just because VDR stands vor video disc recorder. please explain!

The original poster wanted this feature implemented in core-VDR. And I think that this is not the way. This is additional functionality that could easily added by a plugin like mp3/dvd/etc. functionality is added by plugins. I think one of the main goals of VDR-development should be to keep it as simple as possible to increase stability and keeps the user-interface easy.

mfG.

Andreas

• Zitat

Original von agebel
    The original poster wanted this feature implemented in core-VDR. And I think that this is not the way. This is additional functionality that could easily added by a plugin like mp3/dvd/etc. functionality is added by plugins. I think one of the main goals of VDR-development should be to keep it as simple as possible to increase stability and keeps the user-interface easy.

Well it appears there are several people who would like this feature, which should be included in the VDR core in my opinion considering it's a BASIC function, whereas playing MP3's and DivX are not.

There is no issue of stability. All the necessary components to make it work already exist in VDR and are stable. It takes a very small piece of code to have such a function and if I knew c++, I would add it myself.

Hopefully Klaus will read this thread and decide to include it since it takes very little code & very little time to add.

• Just an update to this... I have talked to Klaus and he has told me that YES this scheduling feature is in the TODO list. We can only hope to see this feature implimented soon. Everyone please contact him and tell him you would like it.

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!