• Hello everyone. Sorry, I am from the states.... so I only speak English =(

I've recently downloaded and installed yavdr. I have it all up and running, but I can not get any EGP data.

I am using a Happauge HVR-1600 card. I could not get it to work with wirbelscan. It says: No devices found -- exiting.

I was however, able to add channels using "w_scan" ... so we are good there :P

But I can't seem to get any EPG data??? What am doing wrong???

I've also installed atscepg and tried to use it, but when I tell it to scan, it says : Could not open output file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :))))

Thank you guys so much!!

• wangel

Welcome to the vdr-portal and yaVDR.

English isn't a big deal, more your setup ;)

Honestly I do not have any experience with DVB stuff from US, I just know it's different to Europe.

So, might be a good idea to help us each other. You explain a little bit your needs and if we understand them, it'll be much easier to help you.

We cannot test it here, but at the end of your tests, yaVDR may have become a proper PVR solution for US folks.

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Thank you =) I'm glad I found yaVDR.

I've been using xbmc w/ 4 apple tv's now.... so yaVDR is going to be perfect. I already have xbmc configured to connect to my NAS and mysql databases, so it plays my movies and stuff just fine =)

now for the big step of getting EPG to work.

Before I found yaVDR, I had mythbuntu installed... it was displaying EPG. Then a friend told me about yaVDR (He lives in Canada and LOVES it).... so I switched over... and frankly... I'm in love with it now too :))))

Like I said before, I have a happauge HVR-1600 card, hooked up to an OTA antenna, here is my channels.conf file: http://pastebin.com/e3YrRpt2

I found the plugin: xmltv2vdr .... and thought it might work, so I installed it. I setup xmltv, and have been able to pull down schedule data with it to an xml file. I couldn't figure out how to get xmltv2vdr to read that file =/

Also, I've tried atscepg and it gives me the error that it can't open the outfile file, I've tried doing: tail -f /var/log/syslog and watching what happens, but it never says what file it can't output...

What more info do you need? Would you like me to setup ssh access to the box so you can look at configs? Remote Desktop? I think there's a 6hr time difference between myself and you?

I'm willing do help in anyway I can. If other people can benefit from our work --- then I'm all for it!!!! :)

Thanks again for your response!

• I found the plugin: xmltv2vdr .... and thought it might work, so I installed it. I setup xmltv, and have been able to pull down schedule data with it to an xml file. I couldn't figure out how to get xmltv2vdr to read that file =/

http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Xmltv2vdr-plugin

Read "For the developers of the third-party software providing EPG-Data"

cu

• wangel

Well, xmltv2vdr might be a way, a good one, I do use myself to beautify my DVB EPG. But in generell I could live without it, because we get EPG thru the broadcasting stations.

How do you receive your signal, TV stream? Cable, dish … ? Is it not common to receive EPG data due the stream itself?

I really want to understand the needs for a VDR in the US, if it may not be the same for Canada, too …?

Regards
    fnu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I'm receiving the stream OTA (Over the Air or TV Stream- You know, old school :)) ). I have an antenna that is hooked into my hvr-1600.

Yes, the stations do broadcast EPG. So I'm not sure why yaVDR isn't picking it up?

Right now, I have Dish Network (www.dishnetwork.com). I have their VIP722 sat receiver, and I'm going to get rid of them and do my own thing =) Tha'ts why I want a vdr :P

I will keep pursuing xmltv2vdr and see how that goes ... but like I said, EPG is broadcast by the stations.

• @wandel

Ok, got it, the HVR 1600 is a kind of a vintage receiver for old school analogue broadcasting. For the german guys: kind of a PVR-x50 …

Hence, I'm impressed, that you made it with yaVDR, cool. But yes, you need to use any kind of plugin to gather EPG. VDRs root has been indeed DVB, Digital Video Broadcasting. Here in Europe hasn't been sent any kind of EPG information thru analogue signal. I know this is/was different in US due ATSC. So you found the right plugin already, atscepg. Since we're not even able to test it, there's a good chance that it is kind of faulty in our repository. Would be very kind, if you would provide a syslog from time testing it, that we may get a chance to fix issues …

On the other hand, you can use xmltv2vdr, like it e.g. german users do, if they run a similar receiver. But you need to find a provider that offers EPG for your channels list thru the internet. Then somebody or you need to write a handler addon for this provider. An example is included, epgdata.com. Maybe they do provide something for US.

And a personal note, the logical way to use a VDR, would be using it with your dish network, because this is digital broadcasting, or not? Thru this digital streams we get our EPG here, included in the TV signal.

Regards

• It's all about this card, isn't it? http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.html
    I doubt the analog part is working in yaVDR (at least there is no known support for the analog part in pvrinput for this card). AFAIK the analog transmission has mostly been replaced by digital transmission since 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC#Digital_switchover and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D…tion_in_the_United_States).

Here in Europe hasn't been sent any kind of EPG information thru analogue signal.

Except for nextTView (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NexTView)

According to the thread hepi posted earlier today (NA EIT Guide data not populating in yaVDR.) there might be a general problem getting epg data sent by the stations into the vdr - maybe it helps if you try to contact the patch author if he plans a new release for recent vdr development versions.

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Zitat

AFAIK the analog transmission has mostly been replaced by digital transmission since 2009

That's information I want to get from the TO, not a guess from somewhere else on mother earth …

Zitat

Except for nextTView

Ok, how relevant is this information, does it help anybody here? According to the useless link, it hasn't had any relevance in Germany … :(

Almost destructive like an other special guy here, I never read anything helpful new from you. I only read corrections linking known information, obviously to cheat anybody or to let them look like dumbs. Isn't there an other playground where you could increase your number of posts with your pessimistic attitude?

Regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!