0.3: Testing VDR 1.7.20 - problems with dist-upgrade

• Could you please tell me what you mean by "disk-level backup" ?

Just do a backup of your necessary data, make sure you have everything you need in a second location what ever kind, in case the update does fail. One way could be bit based image copy of your installation ...

Does the testing repo contain the packages of yavdr 0.4 with the new features like the channelpedia?

Like seahawk1986 did mention, channelpedia is not part of it and I don't think it will ever by part of this branch, rather it'll be reserved for the upcoming version 0.4 and further versions. There hasn't ever been the plan to provide a major upgrade for yaVDR 0.3 nor there is right now one. It just have been a offer for experienced users to get a newer VDR version on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) on their own responsibility.

Are you running on a 32 bit architecture and is the resulting system that you could stable?

Well, yaVDR 0.3 has always been 32-bit installations. It's possible to use 64-bit packages from the Lucid repository, but this is a installation on your own manner.

regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

• Zitat

Just do a backup of your necessary data, make sure you have everything
    you need in a second location what ever kind, in case the update does
    fail. One way could be bit based image copy of your installation ...

In other words, it is similar to having a clone of yavdr as a backup. (Usually, when I have doubts about an upgrade, I usually create a clone in a free partition and try to upgrade and test the clone before upgrading my main system.)

Zitat

Like seahawk1986 did mention, channelpedia is not part of it and I don't
    think it will ever by part of this branch, rather it'll be reserved for
    the upcoming version 0.4 and further versions. There hasn't ever been
    the plan to provide a major upgrade for yaVDR 0.3 nor there is right now
    one. It just have been a offer for experienced users to get a newer VDR
    version on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) on their own responsibility.

I think that I get the picture now: natty are the repositories of yavdr 0.4; but some newer packages will also be made available for experienced users for yavdr 0.3 in the lucid repositories. So, it is the underlying ubuntu release that determines whether we are on yavdr 0.3 or yavdr 0.4: the former is in lucid, the latter in natty. Is this correct?

cheers

• In other words, it is similar to having a clone of yavdr as a backup.

Well, this is a choice and might be of the faster ones, in case the update does fail or you don't like it, just revert to your bitmap clone ...

Whereas it is normal IT behaviour to do backups in prior to any (major) updates ... so, choose wether way you prefer, but just do a backup ... ;)

So, it is the underlying ubuntu release that determines whether we are on yavdr 0.3 or yavdr 0.4: the former is in lucid, the latter in natty. Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct, 0.4 does base on Natty and is 64-bit from ISO installation, 0.3 has been 32-bit based on Lucid.

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Quoted

Just do a backup of your necessary data, make sure you have everything
    you need in a second location what ever kind, in case the update does
    fail. One way could be bit based image copy of your installation ...

Yes, I just wanted to mention that during the tests I always put back this backup before I made a suggested upgrade method.

Hardware: Antec Fusion 430, Asus M2A-VM HDMI, AMD Athlon64 X2 4050E, GeForce GT 240, 2GB RAM, 4GB SSD, 320GB HDD, ASUS MYCINEMA-P7131, Technisat SkyStar HD 2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!