[yavdr 0.5] RotorNG broken

• Hi,

I am the maintainer of the rotorng source.

Firstly, congratulations on yavdr 0.5.0. It is the fastest, most pain free installation of VDR/YAVDR that I have ever completed - only 1-2 hours to totally rebuild my HTPC. The remote and sound worked out of the box on my system! Amazing!

However, as part of the upgrade from vdr-1.7.22 to 1.7.27 (both within my previous yavdr 0.4 installation using "apt-get upgrade" and from yavdr 0.4 - 0.5) the rotorng plugin has broken. This is shown in the syslog when I try to send a disecq command: -

vdr: [8287] ERROR: frontend 1/0: Invalid argument

Just to recap, the patch within YAVDR VDR source (opt-44_rotor.patch) adds another method to cDvbTuner: -

+bool cDvbTuner::SendDiseqcCmd(dvb_diseqc_master_cmd cmd)
    +{
    + cMutexLock MutexLock(&mutex);
    + if ((frontendType!=SYS_DVBS2 && frontendType!=SYS_DVBS) || SendDiseqc)
    + return false;
    + diseqc_cmd=cmd;
    + SendDiseqc=true;
    + newSet.Broadcast();
    + return true;
    +}

and modifies cDvbTuner::GetFrontendStatus with: -

cMutexLock MutexLock(&mutex);

+ if (SendDiseqc) {
    + CHECK(ioctl(fd_frontend, FE_DISEQC_SEND_MASTER_CMD, &diseqc_cmd));
    + SendDiseqc=false;
    + }

Has anything changed in YAVDR, or perhaps the driver that means this no longer works the way that it used to? I've spoken to Klaus on the VDR mailing list and he can't think of anything in core VDR.

Previously we found that the dynamite plugin broke rotorng, but dynamite is still disabled in my setup.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to debug this problem.

Regards

• Hi,

I will have a look into this within the next days, most likely on Wednesday.
    I'm also not aware of any change in this area.

When I checked the patches for our next packages (vdr 1.7.31) I found that the rotor-patch was disabled. I'm not sure if it also got disabled for 1.7.27.

Lars.

• I'm not sure if it also got disabled for 1.7.27.

Most probably they are disabled, because patch name is rotor.patch and not rotorng.patch. The old rotor plugin did not build anymore since ancient versions. So, how to now what patch is related, if nobody does feel responsible. And on top obviously nobody did test VDR 1.7.27 with vdr-plugin-rotorng, the VDR version we offered since February 2012 (!) in our testing repository. Honestly I'm not willing to take care, sounds like another patch and function where we could get rid of, which does make our live much easier and we get another tiny step closer to vanilla vdr ...

Within main audience of yaVDR, the yaVDR team, nobody does use any dish rotor ... 8)

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

• Hi,

I'm willing to integrate rotor-support into yavdr's vdr-packages, esp. with dynamite support.
    Please give me some time to investigate this problem. Wednesday evening is my "vdr evening" every week... :)

Lars.

• Hi,

In the source I couldn't find anything that looks like an error.
    The message in the syslog is a hint, that vdr tries to send it but the driver responds with "invalid argument", so the "patch-part" of rotorng seems to work.

Do you use "linux-media-dkms"? Which kind of dvb adapter do you use?

Lars.

• Zitat

And on top obviously nobody did test VDR 1.7.27 with vdr-plugin-rotorng, the VDR version we offered since February 2012 (!) in our testing repository.

Thats not totally correct ;) In May i noticed that the plugin was broken and mini73 offered his help to solve the problem. We did not found a quick solution back then.

E-tobi:Funktioniert das Rotor-Plugin mit VDR 1.7 unter Debian?

Anyway i am still willing to help/test in any way i can to get the plugin back working :)

Greetings,
    MrNike

Hardware: Zotac ION F, Cine S2 V5.4 DVB-S2, 1.5TB HD, 2 GB Ram
    Software: Ubuntu Precise
    64bit, yavdr:vdr-unstable ppa, xbmc
    www.coinflip.de

• MrNike

Well ok, I missed that. But to be honest, the rotor stuff is not from our team nor our responsibility. Yes it's a shame that nobody does take care about that plugin and that it is still a patch needed for VDR.

From my point of view, this patch should be part of VDR like DiSEqC, SCR, DeviceBonding etc. not the function itself, I'm fine with a plugin. But we're neither responsible for VDR nor for vdr-plugin-rotorng.

If mini73 does fix it, I would guess it will become part for the next VDR version in 0.5, something like 1.7.31. I don't see it coming into 1.7.27 ...

Regards
    fnu

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Hi,

No I am not using linux-media-dkms. Card is: -

[ 9.254979] cx88[0]: subsystem: 0070:6906, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2 [card=69,autodetected], frontend(s): 1

This adapter has always been fine until I updated from yavdr 4.0 to 5.0.

• Hi Fnu,

I am the maintainer of the plugin, I'm trying to take care of it by finding out what this issue is!

Yes, I wish rotor was included in VDR, but Klaus hasn't implemented it and I have asked him before. The Rotor plugin kept crashing, that is why I put the rotorng plugin together. I'm not a developer, I just tried to come up with a solution to the problem. The plugin is bundled with YAVDR and I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't work....

• morfsta

Thanks for the information, I will treat my crystal ball hard not to mention this, at the day coming back from maintenance ... :rolleyes:

This is very good news, because this rotor stuff does give us a hard time with each VDR release. If you feel responsible and stay engaged, it might much easier to keep that functionality in each VDR distro, not only yaVDR.

mini73 is IMHO the best counterpart for things like this. I wouldn't be surprised, if the research does result in a patch, which is acceptable for Klaus, and the plugin could build against vanilla VDR.

Do you maintain any source repository? Might you think it's possible to put in http://projects.vdr-developer.org/git/, or so?

Cheers
    fnu

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Hi,

HVR4000(Lite): does it only have a DVB-S/S2-tuner? I know of some, that have an additional DVB-T-tuner (which adds a frontend1 to the adapter which can't be used simultaneous to frontend0 and vdr doesn't know that).

The error message from your first post says that vdr tries to use adapter1/frontend0 to send the diseqc command.
    Does this match to your setup?

Lars.

• It is just a single tuner, it is the HVR4000 Lite which doesn't include DVB-T just a single DVB-S/DVB-S2 tuner.

Here is DMESG: -

Code
    [    8.742546] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Philips TDA10045H DVB-T)...
    [    8.749206] cx88[0]: subsystem: 0070:6906, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2 [card=69,autodetected], frontend(s): 1
    [    8.988869] cx88[1]: subsystem: 0070:9002, board: Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T [card=18,autodetected], frontend(s): 1
    [    9.247288] cx8802_alloc_frontends() allocating 1 frontend(s)
    [    9.632488] DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Conexant CX24116/CX24118)...
    [    9.632818] cx8802_alloc_frontends() allocating 1 frontend(s)
    [    9.752176] DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (Conexant CX22702 DVB-T)...

Here is dev tree: -

MrNike, you are using a different card to me and have the same problem?

Thanks & Regards

• morfsta

Yes, I saw the entry under projects, but I meant more an entry like "vdr-plugin-rotorng" as GIT repo ... ;)

Cheers
    fnu

• Hi,

Do you use "linux-media-dkms"?

If yes, that would contain recent drivers. If you don't need them and linux-media-dkms is installed, you may try to remove it and use the in-kernel-driver.

The error message from your first post says that vdr tries to use adapter1/frontend0 to send the diseqc command.
    Does this match to your setup?

Code
    [ 8.742546] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Philips TDA10045H DVB-T)...
    [ 8.749206] cx88[0]: subsystem: 0070:6906, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2 [card=69,autodetected], frontend(s): 1
    [ 8.988869] cx88[1]: subsystem: 0070:9002, board: Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T [card=18,autodetected], frontend(s): 1
    [ 9.247288] cx8802_alloc_frontends() allocating 1 frontend(s) [ 9.632488] DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Conexant CX24116/CX24118)...
    [ 9.632818] cx8802_alloc_frontends() allocating 1 frontend(s) [ 9.752176] DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (Conexant CX22702 DVB-T)...

It looks like adapter1 is your DVB-T-adapter, not your DVB-S/S2 which should be used.

I think I added some patches that removed some inconsistency at finding the "ActuatorDevice", but they don't seem to be there anymore.
    At the weekend I'll search my harddrive at home for these patches and will send them to you.

Lars.

• Zitat

MrNike, you are using a different card to me and have the same problem?

I use a Cine S2 Dual Card. In the older vdr versions rotorng worked with both devices.
    The error message i get is:

Code
    Oct 20 00:24:58 Isomaniac vdr: [23643] ERROR: frontend 0/0: Invalid argument
    Oct 20 00:24:58 Isomaniac vdr: [23643] ERROR (rotorng.c,1628): Operation not supported

I will have a look at my frontend later but i think they should be correct adressed.

EDIT:
    Frontents are correctly detected here:

Code
    root@Isomaniac:~# dmesg | grep DVB
    [   26.654416] ngene: Found Linux4Media cineS2 DVB-S2 Twin Tuner
    [   28.615206] DVB: registering new adapter (nGene)
    [   28.615216] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...
    [   28.656768] DVB: registering new adapter (nGene)
    [   28.656777] DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (STV090x Multistandard)...

I use the dkms driver for some time now and had the pluging working with the dkms package.

Greetings,
    MrNike

Hardware: Zotac ION F, Cine S2 V5.4 DVB-S2, 1.5TB HD, 2 GB Ram
    Software: Ubuntu Precise
    64bit, yavdr:vdr-unstable ppa, xbmc
    www.coinflip.de

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MrNike ()

• Yes, something went wrong between vdr-1.7.22 and 1.7.27 on both yavdr 4.0 and when I installed 5.0.

When I get a moment I am going to try to see whether it works on vanilla VDR compiled up from source.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!