vdr to dvd-r

• Hi,

the way I see it, you got two options.

Option A: You burn the data directly to DVD. No conversion needed. You'll only be able to play the content with VDR itself or maybe mplayer. To do so you can use growisofs from dvd+rw-tools (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/). In its man you will find proper examples.

Option B: (I take it you don't want real format conversion like with divx) You install vdrconvert and loads of programs (including xfree) it is depending on. Then you let vdrconvert build a dvd from recordings and burn it. This way you can play the VDR recording on every DVD-Player.

I guess somebody would give a walkthrough on how to properly install and setup vdrconvert. But maybe there's already a guide in English.

Does anyone know a guide fo vdrconvert in English?

• Hi

thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to use option 2, and tried to install vdrconvert as a guess, but became really confused during the install and how it interfaces with vdr.

Does anyone know it a english tutorial exists or can someone start me off?

thanks

• hi,

first you should know how vdrconvert works
    its a collection of scripts wich use a lot of programs
    an example for dvd would be
    1. convert (MPEG2 PES->ES/PS) and fix a vdr recording (errors, missing frames)
    2. transcode the mpeg2 video to a dvd conform format (depending on the recording, either it is dvd conform or you want produce non conform dvd´s you can skip this time and processor consuming step)
    3. generate dvd menues from the stored epg infos of the recording
    4. author a dvd titleset or image from the trancoded recording
    5. burn that stuff

if all is installed and configured correctly you will select the recordings you want to store on dvd in the vdr recordings menu, after that you start the process via the vdr commands menu, the rest eill run completele for its own to the titleset or written dvd (using nice, so vdr will run and work in that period without problems)
    usualy the problem with installing vdrconvert is the fact that you need a lot of packages (some in the right version)
    thats the point where a linux distribution with ready preconfigured packages for vdrconvert pays off - i.e. the c´t (debian) distribution, wich can be all between a "run only" up to a "i will do all myself with my bare hands" version, beside this there are some "good run only" ditributions like linvdr or mulimidix (usualy a harde way to make it a version to complie things by your self if you miss something)

• Hi

when i attempted to install vdrconvert a lot of the required files were not found and i had no idea how to install them. What's the easiest route for me to take? Once installed will vdrconvert perform all the things i need or do i need other packages as well??

thanks

• Hi!

If you use the vdrconvert install script it will tell you what it wants, but you already said it did. Anyway, you gotta have xfree or xorg, transcode, netpbm and dvd+rw-tools. How about posting the output of the install script in here, or even better (it's kinda long) attach it.

Laters

mic

• the first time i tried to install it i downloaded the zip file from the author's site. The seconf time i used the install script and it seem to fail half way. Do i need to use the install script? and start with vdrconvert?

thanks again

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!