NA EIT Guide data not populating in yaVDR.

• I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get North American eit guide data
    to populate in yavdr. I can see SOME info pop up but then it
    disappears immediately. The NA EIT patch (newest on last page of na eit
    thread) over at DVBN patches cleanly and I built package and installed
    package fine after patch but text2skin and yaepghd cause vdr to crash
    constantly, when switching channels, when opening guide in yaepghd and
    also when trying to display guide info in vdr's osd program menu. If
    the guide info pops up with NO EIT PATCH applied there must be some
    setting in vdr's setup.conf that fixes this issue. Could I please get
    some help from some of you yavdr developers? Thanks in advance. :tup

yaVDR 0.3.0 with "unstable" PPA vdr-1.7.17

Everything works GREAT except for guide data not populating....

• Hi,

You might know this already: All EPG data is stored within /var/cache/vdr/epg.data. You can check this file regularly to see if it grows.

Could you post a URL to the latest NA EIT patch at DVBN?

Did you check all the patches already included in our VDR packages? There might be a chance that those packages should work already without the need to recompile.

Cheers,
    hepi

• If
    the guide info pops up with NO EIT PATCH applied there must be some
    setting in vdr's setup.conf that fixes this issue.

I don't understand what makes you think that. You have a patched VDR that crashes, and an unpatched VDR that don't crash, and you think the reason is a setup.conf that is even not changed by the patch?
    Sorry, but I don't think that you are right. The reason for the crash is the patch, not the setup.conf.

Could I please get some help from some of you yavdr developers?

The yaVDR developers create the distribution yaVDR, not the vdr or its plugins. You should ask the developer of the patch for help, as it is the reason for the crash.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• I really appreciate the response! I checked the epg.data file and it IS growing in size. Just isn't populating fast for EVERY channel here in NA. Here is the most current NA EIT patch that works with a vanilla vdr source 1.7.17.

REMOVED patch source. Same source as fepg.org but one minor ac3 fix for vdr-1.7.17

• Could you explain why the plugin vdr-plugin-atscepg (available from yaVDR repos) doesn't work for you? Where are the functional differences between the plugin and the patch?
    http://www.fepg.org/atscepg/readme/

Cheers,
    hepi

Thanks for the replies yet again my friend. I couldn't post for a few days due to some forum error. Anyway. I use Satellite not ATSC OTA here in the states. I use the NA Patch with vanilla vdr and it works great for a 9 day guide in yaepg-hd. So far I am loving everything about yaVDR except not being able to use the guide. Is there a Schedules Direct plugin in the same form as vdr-plugin-tvtv? This plugin is the only alternative I can think of for NA Guide population. I guess I could look at the source package of that plugin and see if there is a way to add schedules direct into the server options.

On another note yaVDR DOES have the epg.data and it does populate and grow the file BUT it does not get used for some reason in yaepghd. I can see some info days down the road in the epg.data file but no info for immediate program info when yavdr is started up. Hope some of you developers of yaVDR can help so us in the States can help with development. Cheers - Gfunk

• Try to simplify your local setup to minimize the amount of crashes:
    Disable yaepghd for a start and test if VDR runs more stable without that plugin (disable plugin in order.conf)

The EPG/EIT data that is being received by your VDR is accessible even without yaepghd. Please also check epg in VDR Live web frontend (preinstalled on yavdr).

Contact the author of the NA EIT patch Alex Lasnier (URLs in postings above) and ask him about the current status of the patch. His website says, the patch is for VDR 1.7.14, we are now working with VDR 1.7.18 for our next release.

Please discuss with the author :

a) if it is possible to put the functionality into a VDR plugin (as Alex did with ATSC EPG, also have a look at vdr-plugin-eepg that maybe does similar things for European EPG data.).
    b) Why is the patch necessary? In what way do NA satellite providers disobey to the EIT standard?
    c) how the patch has to be updated for the latest VDR version
    d) Check which side effects the patch could have for non-NA users. It might be possible that the patch creates problems for European users because no European user has built VDR including this patch in real life until now.

Please also discuss the patch on the VDR mailing list at linuxtv.org (if this hasn't happened already). Let the author of VDR (Klaus Schmidinger) comment on what is the best solution with the patch.

Next to this, if you don't want to wait and you want to test the patch in real life, I suggest you get yourself an account at launchpad.net and create your own PPA there. Get our VDR source packages, patch them to your needs, build them on Launchpad and use them with yaVDR. Copy the necessary VDR plugins from our PPA to your PPA and rebuild them against your VDR core package.

We can also consider to set-up a discussion board at forum.yavdr.com for the needs of US based yaVDR users in case you know a bunch of people who are interested in this, since we don't have the time to read all Satellite-User-Boards on the net so we don't follow most of the yaVDR related discussions outside of VDR-Portal.

yaVDR already ships with the ATSC patch (by Alex Lasnier) enabled in VDR core and with the vdr-plugin-atscepg available to install. That is more than other VDR distributions offer for US-users. Until now, we were not aware of the importance of tha NA EIT patch.

Cheers,
    hepi

• Is there a Schedules Direct plugin in the same form as vdr-plugin-tvtv? This plugin is the only alternative I can think of for NA Guide population.

Please check if this plugin would work with Schedules Direct :
    http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Xmltv2vdr-plugin
    (Sadly, there is no page for this plugin on the English language VDR wiki.)

Please remember that we are German developers in the yaVDR team and the probability is high that we haven't heard of all interesting international projects like Schedules Direct. Please always add an URL to projects you mention so that we can easily find the pages and learn about it without the need to do Google research first. Thanks!

Cheers,
    hepi

• Please check if this plugin would work with Schedules Direct :
    http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Xmltv2vdr-plugin
    (Sadly, there is no page for this plugin on the English language VDR wiki.)

Please remember that we are German developers in the yaVDR team and the probability is high that we haven't heard of all interesting international projects like Schedules Direct. Please always add an URL to projects you mention so that we can easily find the pages and learn about it without the need to do Google research first. Thanks!

Cheers,
    hepi

I think I may have found the reason the guide data is not populating. Looks like the data wants to show up because it always says "No Title" not "No Information" so that must mean something is blocking the data from showing. So I was looking into the epg settings in the setup menu and I saw the no EPG patch has some options like Whiltelist and Blacklist so this must be the problem, noepg patch is blocking the info from appearing. Can I just recompile vdr's source from yavdr ppa and comment out # the noepg patch in the 00list inside the Debian patches directory and recompile without this patch?

• Can I just recompile vdr's source from yavdr ppa and comment out # the noepg patch in the 00list inside the Debian patches directory and recompile without this patch?

you can, but why? The patch is blocking nothing if there are no entries in the blacklist.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• you can, but why? The patch is blocking nothing if there are no entries in the blacklist.

Gerald

Well the reason is because when I adjust settings for noepg patch in the EPG menu for vdr it seems like it effects the population of the guide in some way. I thought maybe not using the patch at all would help because the vanilla version of vdr seems to work fine without this patch. I am just trying to pinpoint the setting that is effecting the guide data. When adjusting the noepg patch settings guide data seems to disappear and reappear with each different setting.

• Does the epg info change when you alter the EPG fault correction level ?

VDRserver : Asrock n3700 + 8 GB ram + HDD Toshiba 3 TB (video) + 2 x 500 Gb (home) + Sandisk SSD 64 GB (OS) + Digital Devices Octopus Cine S2 + DD DVB T/T2-Operating System : Ubuntu Server (headless) 14.04 64 bit mit stable yavdr ppa

VDRclient : Wetek Hub mit Libreelec (8.2 community build von kszaq)

• Do you mean the "Bug Fix Level" ?

Yes.
    Lowering the level may help.

VDRserver : Asrock n3700 + 8 GB ram + HDD Toshiba 3 TB (video) + 2 x 500 Gb (home) + Sandisk SSD 64 GB (OS) + Digital Devices Octopus Cine S2 + DD DVB T/T2-Operating System : Ubuntu Server (headless) 14.04 64 bit mit stable yavdr ppa

VDRclient : Wetek Hub mit Libreelec (8.2 community build von kszaq)

• This discussion started off with the NA EIT patch. Since the existance of the NA EIT patch proves that is has to be useful for something, I don't understand why the NA EIT patch is now being ignored in the follow-up discussion. Like I already suggested above days ago, the right thing to do is to contact the author of the NA EIT patch (Alex Lasnier) to clarify which problems it solves and which not.

Cheers,
    hepih

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!