Possibilities for HDTV VDR

• Hi all,

I've bin reading a lot on this forum (tnx 5 years of german on school), but still did not figger out 100% how to build a HDTV vdr.

I now its still not 100% supported.

On the moment, I'm more or the less possible to watch HDTV programming with the streaming plug in, however, if the em8xx is enabled on the streaming server, it crashes (doh).

So Im considering a new setup. Right now the possibities are (I THINK!)

do's:
    1 - Get a very expensive fat pc, with a fast cpu, video card with some decoding capabilities, soft plug in (very expensive).
    2. - Get a pinnacle showcenter 200 as fronted / and a server for the backend (streaming), requires a fast network. Still, if you want to watch a DVD, you have the put the disk into the server

don't knows (but would be nice)
    3. - Buy a commercial streaming client, like a Kiss DP600 / DP1600, dont have the problem mentioned at 2, but no support/software found yet???

don'ts
    4 - Get a Em86xx PCI card (which you cant get), use the buggy unsupported drivers, and put it in my activy, and hope that it works...
    5.- Use a pcHDTV kart (TL810 or something), and wait until the reversed engineered drivers are finished (never), and use this drivers a backend.

update
    6. - Get a Reel Extension_hd, should work, because reel uses also vdr???

I also could buy a all in one wonder machine, (realbox ore something), neah, doesn't do all the things i want, to expensive, to easy.

Funny thing is, about 2,3 and 4, that those commercial "media extenders" are build on Em86xx, which seems the only chipset is used in this world.

About those points, Am I right. What possibilities are there?

• Hi theeuwke,

right now it's hard to say how to build "the" HDTV VDR. There are so many uncertainties around the driver support of either the DVB-S2 receivers as well as some hardware decoders.

Your best bet short term would be the big fat PC solution, I guess. The alternative would be some (PC based) settop boxes, but I doubt you can use VDR on it - if it not already comes with it like the Reelbox.

Mid/long term we will see... ;)

Regards, ollo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!