Beiträge von tikola

As I receive finnish national broadcasting company basic channels via satellite VDR is pretty often tuned on DVB-S2 channels. I typically leave VDR on that channel. Just now VDR has been tuned on that problematic channel at least since last night and current situation is

Today - full data for next 3-4 hours. Then totally empty until tomorrow morning around 9am where I have full data again for 3 hours. Monday nothing and in tuseday (4th) day 6 hours from 3am to 9 am.

In the same time full data for next 8 days in same channel transmitted in DVB-T2.

I need to make a bit more studies - leave VDR to those problematic channels and see how it affects while tuned somewhere else.

Does your comment mean that if it works it works as well as operator has given the data. Can we see contents of the transmission in someone elses system for example in Germany and compare it to mine? It is for example Finnish Yle TV1 HD from Thor satellites.

Actually when I compare any random Hungarian/Czech channel that I never tune in my VDR the contents of the EPG is much better than in those Finnish channels I am talking about. So your statement that operator has saved money makes sense but in the same time I have comment from local VU+ user group that their EPG is fine. So I am bit confused still - is it data sent by satellite or VDR capability to read it where problem lies as information I am gathering is bit controversy.

Can anyone else see EPG contents from Finnish Yle 1 HD - does it look something similar as attached mine? Ei Lähetystä = no transmission and that is actually no true at all. If nothing there is always at least some text news flashes going on and all other times than "ei lähetystä" should really have some proper EPG info and programs really going on.

I am running VDR with DVB-T2 and S2 tuners and now I have an EPG issue. Basically same DVB-T2 channel gives EPG for almost a week ahead. Excactly same channel from satellite gives sometimes half a day - sometimes just next show - sometimes few days and sometimes there can be few days without EPG data at all.

Satellite provider is Nordic Canal Digital and by that satellite is Thor in position 1.0w

VDR discussion in Finland is bit dead and it is bit hard to find local support. I got hint from local VU+/Enigma satellite users forum that have I used correct EPG update frequency? I have no idea am I using it or not. EPG clearly works but compared on T2 signal there is a significant difference currently and I try to figure out where problem lies. From that satellite forum I got confirmation that EPG data in VU+/Enigma environments in same signal has been decent. So based on that I assume data in signal is better than my VDR currently gets.

At the moment I am not planning to start squeezing EPG from internet as I first want to get out from satellite as well as I can. As a non german speaking search from this forum is bit hard though reading works well via Google Translate. This thread for example falls bit on my issue but here solution is XMLTV which is not the solution I would like immediately go

https://www.vdr-portal.de/forum/index.php?thread/132232-epg-on-canal-digital-dvb-epg-norway/&pageNo=1

So I am asking help how to tune up DVB-S2 receiving get as much of EPG data as possible. Currently I fear that my system is missing something. As a non expert it is bit hard to figure out settings related on this - is it VDR core or EPGSearch settings that affects on this kind of issues? With search I have found only frequency setting for system time in EPG settings but I am happy with my system time - just epg contents is missing information.

If this is more generic issue and other users have similar problems with EPG data then it is acceptable to me also start setting up XMLTV but before that I would like to figure out is that really the only possible solution?

My version is Ubuntu 20.04 - VDR 2.4.x coming out from Ubuntu binaries

New computer with same old DVB-S2 card makes no these errors at all. So either new kernel/ubuntu version or new hardware in computer get rid of these Video Data Stream Errors. Not exactly sure what was the actual fixing detail but some of those as in new computer no errors. Most likely just Ubuntu upgrade to 20.04 was the key thing.

Streamdev is not currently causing me error messages as VNSI does so either it works more solid or it reports its actions worse than VNSI. As a VLC usage Streamdev works pretty solidly still but of course VNSI does same thing too - just way more error messages in log.

Actually the real preferred need would probably be a Plex plugin so that Plex will be the frontend in my all media players but that plugin is probably in quite ancient state also. I am running VDR and PlexServer in same computer so if Plex learns to read VDR stream and pushes that out to all Plex clients that would be a optimal solution as then single client tool would work in all media devices in my network. Now I mix use VLC and Kodi as VDR clients and Plex for non VDR based medias. Less plugins would proably mean less troubles in long run.

Ancient post but lets update as problem is solved. This was most likely a hardware issue where the receiving card may not be only one who had role but generic hardware could be causing it too. Now new Ubuntu 20.04 server and new hardware (including DVB-S2 card) and no broken video data streams. I have not tested but I bet the problematic Cine card will work without errors in new hardware too. I will test that someday - in coming years :)

Currently the main error message generator for my VDR server seems to be VNSI server for Kodi usage but as it is not critical to my use it will not harm much. In longer run it would be nice to find a streamdev server compatible media reader for Apple and Android TV so I get rid of unmaintained VNSI. However still VNSI&Kodi works extremely well still so there is no rush but getting Streamdev server capabilities for more client softwares would be a good step ahead.

Eurosport is sending same cycling competition several times. They mark repeats typically (R). So with clear marking and by using that I could get rid of same legs in multiple recordings. I am using epgsearch and automated recordings configured by VDRLive web interface. There is clearly an option to use blacklist in searchtimer configuration but I have no idea how to make a blacklist entry. Based on google I got an impression that I must make a epgserachblacklist.conf file but as I have no such file in mys system yet I have no idea of format and location of that file.

Is it really so that making that conf file is only way to make blacklist or is there a GUI to do it somewhere else? I have looked from Live plugin and well as Ubuntu normal VDR display with f9 buttons but no success so far.

One step ahead - this typically happens in HD channels and nowdays mainly on my DVB-T2 tuner too. The issue is mainly that It loses tuning every here and then and in worst case it will not recover never for those DVB-T2 HD channels it has lost until reboot. Now I noticed significant detail. It happens now mainly with single DVB-T2 antenna and while those connections are totally lost card itself works as another DVB-T2 antenna and S2 HD channels works.

So I am comining to conclution that this is probably a broadcasting issue for one antenna and provider. Other users in Finland has reported bad tuning for that same antenna when using Enigma devices.

So question can be transferred to form. What are best practises to tune up system for bad or even faulty transmission in DVB-T2 (or HD generally) and how to adjust VDR capabilities for recovery from these incidents?

Thanks guys - I have Ubuntu 18.10 and VDR 2.4 so I can get Quad Core Hauppauge without worries. My wish is basically the pci-e card that has drivers from kernel and as my S2 card has two tuners I will end up max 6 tuners.

Was there a 4 tuner limitation in VDR in some old times??

I old times I remember to read from VDR information that maximum tuner amount is 4. Is that limit still valid? My point is that I am planning to update my DVB-T2 PCI-e card and Hauppauge had a device that had 4 tuners immediately (Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD). I would like to keep my twin tuner DVB-S2 car in use too and currently twin tuner DVB-T2 PCI-e avaialability is limited. I have already DVBSky device in use and I prefer not TBS products due their own closed driver. So is VDR 2.4 still limited to four tuners or not? I did not found that limitation easily so it could be that limitation is vanished over the years.

Die oben erwähnte Nvidea Shield scheint durchaus ein leistungsfähiges und problemloses Gerät zu sein. Das werde ich mir mal genauer anschauen.

My impression is that Nvidia Shield is the best hardware compared to price ratio just now. It could be that my impression is outdated and I am ready accept different opinions but for my personal needs (VDR server in basement - Shield next to unsmart TV in living room) Nvidia Shiled has been the outperforming solution. However my experience is mainly only Raspi3 and full Windows computer whose both has been replaced by Shield.

Buy a TV with Android and run Kodi, that is what I do and it works perfect. For 4k you might need something more powerful. Sony and Philips are better choises than Samsung.

Excatly - this seems to be the most capable way just now. The challenge is that does Android TV run on your new TV until eternity or will it be a two years when TV vendor decides discontinue your product. If I would be buying TV just now that would be the path to use (modern TV with Android TV OS) but as I am not buying TV just now I have worked it out by using NVIDIA Shield or some other Android TV based media device.

With TV manufactures the main problem is that their product lifecycle is something like few years and I preferrably use my TV much longer than that. The hardware will run on TV for a long time but all "smart apps" tends to die a way before TV hardware dies.

LNB replaced to see was it something physical. It probably had some effect but no breakthorugh. I will continue within following topics:

1) SCR/Unicable settings - do I have now all parameters as I should?
    2) Planning to install second cable to get rid of Unicable
    3) Still one more DVB-S2 receiver replacement to see does that have a role

So process continues - no major breakthroughs yet.

I have seen this statement

"Put a file "ddbridge.conf" into /etc/modprobe.d which contains "options ddbridge msi=0"

in http://support.digital-devices…ledgebase.php?article=152

To me it is very unclear what this - "[size=small]Did you have I²C-Timeouts" really means? I can see the wikisite for [/size][size=small] I²C but how do I see do I have that or not?[/size]

I am anyway testing this setting now to see what happens.

Without SCR is bit hard as I have just one cable coming from LNB to tuner and reason why I need SCR is that getting second cable is VERY hard. Of course I can setup temporary additional cable but that is not the final solution due family reasons (it does not look good says my wife). Also the fact is that even with my SCR setup on single channel works well - so problems start when more than one program is watched at once.

So SCR works....at least when no multiple channels simultaneously used.

Just thought that if it is SCR issue would it make sense to test another LNB instead of just replacing card and drivers.

timo

Agreed - trusty based media-build-experimental made no change at all in my xenial setup.

I am slowly thinking that my SCR solution and LNB used in it might play a role. So my next trials are

- New old style Cine card running with ngene drivers
    - New LNB to see is this one faulty with unicable
    - tune up SCR settings in VDR as current ones are picked up from forum and left as it is as things started to work

I have slight feeling for LNB as things worked well in the start for a while and this issue has increased all the time. That feels bit like some electronical component is bit giving up. Also fact is that two totally separated cards have repeated this issue equally. VDSB issue is missing signal problem by principle and thats why I am thinking my cable, LNB or SCR might have a role here - in top of card driver issues.

OK - I will give a shot with media-build-experimental for trusty - lets see what happens. With quick search it is bit hard to find AMD64 variant of that. Of course compilation is one way but as I have managed in life without it so far I prefer not to do it now either. I am not sure is it smart but thats how I have worked until now.

What is the actual reason why dddvb kills my DVBSky - why DD driver affects on other vendors card? What if I buy older V5 dd cine that uses ngene. Is there hope that it will do things smoother with 4.4 kernel?