VDR server with multiple clients/frontends

• Hi!
    I want to build multi-user VDR system that obviously consists of a server part and multiple clients. Now I have several DVB source devices (SkyStar2, AirStar2, WinTV-NOVA-HD) and I want the system to be HD capable.

But I cant understand some of the basics. I know that streamdev plugin is used to stream content to VDR clients and its necessery to run a separate instance on the server for each of the client. And, as I understand, it makes problems with timer. But why several instances? Look, I did some test here:

Now I have some about year old VDR installation which I have experimented with and used occassionaly. Its a PC with DXR3 card, one SkyStar2, running VDR 1.4.7 with dxr3 plugin and vompserver for MediaMVP settopbox.
    I can see one channel on dxr3 output, second different channel on MediaMVP, and I can open another couple instances of VLC connected to single streamdev and displaying couple different channels which means one single VDR instance can provide 4 different channels! Of course I am limited to one transponder since I have just one DVB-S card in that PC but I will get second in and test if I can make it use both cards. Unfortunately I dont have more MediaMVP settopboxes to test it..

Anyway, what I am up to: Why run several VDR instances if its not necessary?
    Since I plan to run server with multiple clients I want to understand the architecture of the multi-user VDR system. I am not sure if my findings mean something but at least I can see that VDR handles at least several output devices perfectly!

I believe I am not the first person who wants to build multi-user VDR system. What is the best solution? I am looking for most lightweight and clean solution. I dont feel like running separate VDR instance for every client is best solution..
    lIf this has been already discussed somewhere please direct me to the resource.

Thanks!

• Streamdev-server is multi-client/multi-channel and it can co-exist with plugins like vompserver. No need for multiple VDR instances. With multiple DVB cards you will of course be able to watch as many transponders simultaneously.

Guess what you have come across are instructions for streaming with xineliboutput. xineliboutput is multi-client but single-content. In other words: if you have one xineliboutput server, all xineliboutput clients will see the same thing (even replay of recordings and including OSD). If you want multi-channel with xineliboutput, you will need one VDR instance for each independent xineliboutput client. Either all of these VDR instances use dedicated DVB cards or one VDR instance gets all the cards and the other instances connect with streamdev.

The combination of xineliboutput and streamdev allows different ways to deploy the components as there are two network connections: streamdev-server/streamdev-client and xineliboutput/xineliboutput-frontend. Many people like the idea of having all VDR instances on one machine for easy maintenance. Streamdev-server and -client run on the same host in this case (connecting to 127.0.0.1). The xineliboutput-frontend is the only component which must be installed on the client. But this approach fails, if the client VDR needs access specific hardware on the client (e.g. LCD display, FF card, HD extension). Put the VDR instance on the client in this case.

Once you have a VDR server and some VDR clients you will probably want to use plugins from http://vdr.schmirler.de e.g. for programming timers on the server.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!