Burning DVD with subtitles

• Hiya folks,

My vdr is up and running nicely. Since I live in Finland I've installed the subtitles-plugin (we don't overdub our tv-shows). The subtitles work just fine. Now, I'd like to be able to burn a DVD with a movie I've recorded, complete with subtitles and all. I don't need to be able to switch the subtitles on and off - they can be stuck on top of the movie.

I've fiddled around with utilities like ProjectX and transcode in order to be able to achieve this. Unfortunately I haven't yet succeeded. Could some kind soul try to tell me what to do, almost step by step! What should the transcode command line look like, what format shoud the .vdr-file be transformed into, and so on.

Thx in advance for any reply.

Mike

• Thx, mate, for the quick reply. I did some quick checkups on the burn-plugin, but didn't immediately see how the ProjectX is linked to it. Could you maybe tell me in more detail how to go about it?

Cheerio,

Mike

• Can you tell more to your system?

you must have java jre and projectx on the system (paths see in vdrburn-dvd.sh) and other programms to demux/mux the dvd - see the readme files witch came with the plugin.

If all is installed correct, burn will integrate subtitles automaticly if there in the *.vd stream, there is nothing to do.

• Hiya,

Well, actually I have the ProjectX installed, and working. I'll have a peek into the burn-plugin (install it and try to fiddle around). I'll get back to ya all if it doesn't work out.

thx,
    Mike

• Hiya,

Now I've downloaded burn, and fiddled around with the installation for a while. Verdict? Way too much work. Just compiling the required boost libraries took 60-90 minutes and gave me the final messages

...failed updating 8 targets...
    ...skipped 8 targets...
    ...updated 1265 targets...
    Not all Boost libraries built properly.

So, I'm just looking for a way to do it manually. All this advanced Linux geeking just bores me. I've managed to pick the vdr-file apart into one m2v-, one mp2 and one sup-file (using ProjectX 0.90.4), now I want to reassemble them into a file I can burn to a DVD. The subtitles should be included, and can be hardcoded onto the video stream. I have transcode (1.0.2), and I can use a command line. What should the next step be?

Wonders

Misha

• Hiya,

> Why you dont use the boost package from LordJaxom (the burn author) from here

Because I didn't know it existed before you told me.

And my system is Ubuntu 6.06, vdr is 1.4.0. Transcode is 1.0.2 and ProjectX is 0.90.4. And what I basically want to know is if ProjectX or transcode can convert my audio-video-subtitles-combo of files into one file (mpeg2-format). Both are installed and running, thus independent of my system. But I'll be more than happy to answer any other questions regarding it.

Cheerio,

Misha

• transcode cant extract subtitles (?)

ProjectX:
    load the vdr file
    in "Pre settings" (strg + s) or in the X.ini:

Code
    SubtitlePanel.SubpictureColorModel=YLE
    SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat=SON

SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat_2=SUP
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage1=149
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage2=150
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage3=777

Format SON for Finland TV Stations,
    Format SUP for german TV Stations.
    You can use both also at same time.

As "Action" use "demux"
    Then you become files:
    mpv or m2v = video stream
    mpa or mp2 = audio stream
    sup = german subtitle file
    son = finland subtitle file (not sure, ev other name)

Then i have test this files with gui_for_dvdauthor under windows xp

Under Linux i havent testet yet any more programs.

• Thx mate, that solved it! I already knew how to pick the file apart with ProjectX, but the gui_for_dvdauthor was new for me. Everything works like a charm right now. Thx ever so much, one headache less!

Mike

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!