Beiträge von JTe1828

Dr. Seltsam thanks for pointing out the correct audio settings. I must have been accidently changing mine when playing with the menus. So currently you can only set those by editing the /etc/vdr/setup.conf -file.

With the settings pvrinput.HDPVR_AudioEncoding = 1 and pvrinput.HDPVR_AudioInput = 2 I have again the AC3 5.1. sound!

To connect the HDMI cable of the setup box to the HDPVR I have been using this with a component video cable for more than 10 years now:

https://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfury3manual.pdf

Extra Item for HDFury | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI
    Accessories available : 6' HDMI Cable 6' HDMI to DVI-D 6' Jack Optical to SP/DIF 6' USB 5V Cable for HDF1&2 BLUE RGB Cable (HD15 VGA) for HDF1&2 BLUE…
    www.hdfury.com

It is a little bit pricey, but has very good picture quality, a lot of settings, and also digital SPDIF output. You can find quite good second hand deals with some googling.

To get the coaxial SPDIF of HDFury to optical (HDPVR has an optical input) you can use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/spdif-optical-converter/s?k=spdif+to+optical+converter

Or as I had on my self a HDMI ARC Audio extractor (with optical SDPIF output and passthrough HDMI) you can also use one of those:

https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-arc-adapter/s?k=hdmi+arc+adapter

With this setup I have never had problems with HDMI connectivity.

Do you have any recordings in 5.1 surround sound over SPDIF?
    My recordings with the 1212 have only stereo 2.0 AAC over SPDIF.
    I use an HDMI audioextractor myself, too.
    What kind of sound output do you get from your set-top-box (bitstream, PCM, AC3, ...) for recording in 5.1 with the HDPVR1212?

I did check few recordings and if I run ffprobe I get:

Code
      Stream #0:0[0x1011]: Video: h264 (Main) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, bt709, top first), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 50 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
      Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: ac3 ([6][0][0][0] / 0x0006), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s

So it shows ac3 with the channel stream type 0x6, which corresponds to 5.1 surround sound.

I have the following settings in /etv/vdr/setup.conf to get the ac3 and SPDIF audio input:

Code
    pvrinput.HDPVR_AudioEncoding = 0
    pvrinput.HDPVR_AudioInput = 2

Dr. Strange & don-baba I am using the Philips TNT Sat Astra, and the audio encoding of the box is:

Zitat

Décodage audio : - Stéréo 2.0 : MPEG1 couches I et II MPEG2 couche II - Multi-canal 5.1 : Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital Plus

I have also updated the HDPVR box to the newest firmware level (you need a windows system for that).

mrjoe The picture quality is less crisp than the original (we are doing Digital->Analog->Digital conversion. You can have better picture quality with higher bitrate, but then also recordings will take more space. Currently I am using 10000 kbit/s and the VBR (variable bitrate mode). I have no problem on stability of channel logos with these settings (neither with burned in subtitles).

mrjoe I have sometimes similar problem with the pvrinput plugin if the satellite reception is interfered by heavy rain, the picture will freeze. Switching channel back an forth helps.

I have been also playing a little bit with the TBS2603 hdmi to Etherent encoder and managed easily to get the streaming and picture with the vdr-plugin-iptv. But to be able to switch channels VCL & scripting would be required.

One alternative solution would be to change the vdr-plugin-iptv to include a ability to run a script when changing channel (like with the pvrinput). That way you could just directly (without vlc) receive the stream and switch the channel (stream) with the script.

You can find more information of the TBS2603 at:

H.264/H.265 HDMI IP Video Encode + Decoder PoE, 424,00 €
    TBS-2603 PoE is a professional H 264/H 265 HDMI video Encoder & Decoder with Power over Ethernet (PoE) support, it is compatible with NDI®|HX from NewTek, a
    tbs-technology.de

For better prices it is good to google a bit around.

I have a few questions for that:
    1. Which kernel module do you use or do you use an external module?
    2. Can you record 5.1 surround sound via SPDIF from your set-top-box?
    3. Can you paste your channels.conf entries for the hdpvr channels?

1. I am using the standard hdpvr kernel module (my box is HD PVR model 1212 with analog video inputs).

2. Yes 5.1 works over the SPDIF connection. It is also confirmed on the MythTV HD PVR page at:

Hauppauge HD-PVR - MythTV Official Wiki

3. here you can see my French TNT channels.conf entries. The channel number (the service id field) actually has the set top box channel number coded in (it is 90 + channel number, eg 9013 for channel 13 on the set top box). You will find the syntax of the channels.conf (>= vdr 1.7.13) at:

GitHub - yavdr/vdr-plugin-pvrinput
    Contribute to yavdr/vdr-plugin-pvrinput development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Which hardware revision / model number of the HDPVR do you use? The driver is part of the kernel?

I have the HD PVR model 1212 with analog component video inputs and SPDIF optical sound input, the kernel driver is part of the kernel (hdpvr).

Yes, you cannot get them new, but frequently they are available at Amazon and Ebay.

When used together with a setup box the switching time of a channel can be quite long as you need to wait the set top box to switch the channel and only after the video stream is stable you can exit the externalchannelswitch.sh script (you can see I have a sleep 2.2 command at the end). A HDMI source without channel switching delay would probably not require that (long) sleep command.

I have solved the HDMI input problem by using the pvrinput plugin. My setup is as follows:

For HDMI video:

HDMI to Componenet video converter -> Hauppauge HDPVR (R-G-B input) -> vdr-plugin-pvrinput

For HDMI audio (audio will be direct digital audio):
    HDMI to SPDIF Optical Audio Extractor -> Hauppauge HDPVR (SPDIF input) -> vdr-plugin-pvrinput

To control the HDMI source (a set up box) I use lirc IR buster and the externalchannelswitch.sh -script of the vdr-plugin-pvrinput. That can be done at yaVDR like this (when using mceusb ir-blasterr):

Create udev rule for the ir-balster device symlink for clarity by adding file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/80-lirc.rules

Code
    SUBSYSTEM=="lirc", KERNEL=="lirc*",  DRIVERS=="mceusb", SYMLINK+="lirc-blaster"

Create a system service file for the ir-blaster:

/etc/systemd/system/lircd-blaster.service

Create a lirc configuration file for the ir-blaster (this is my example, use the codes for your setup box):

/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/irblaster.lircd.conf

Then enable the ir-blaster service by running:

sudo systemctl enable lircd-blaster.service

Create a file for pvrinput channel switching at:

/var/lib/vdr/plugins/pvrinput/externchannelswitch.sh

Enable pvrinput by configuring its settings in

/etc/vdr/setup.conf

To enable better sound with the HDPVR create file:

/etc/modprobe.d/hdpvr.conf

Code
    options hdpvr boost_audio=1

To adjust some colours create file (you can adjust these)

/etc/udev/rules.d/90-hdpvr.rules

Code
    SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2040", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4903", PROGRAM="/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --device=$devnode --set-ctrl=brightness=112 --set-ctrl=hue=16 --set-ctrl=saturation=48 --set-ctrl=sharpness=256 --set-ctrl=contrast=64"

I have been running the setup for several years and just upgraded to the newest yaVDR version. Here are some observations I have made:

-channel switching works very well, though takes more time

-recordings work well

-the HD picture quality is fine on my plasma screen

-I managed to get the HDPVR running stable, but you should take care of not to let the HDPVR to get too hot as it will the get unstable

I have also noticed thast using vdr-plugin-softhddevice-cuvid gives much better picture quality with pvrinput and HDPVR thanvdr-plugin-softhddevice.