Beiträge von tikola

Update this topic - time will fix it. So difference in DVB-T and DVB-S is that in Terrestial side EPG data comes more or less immediately when channel is tuned but in Satellite broadcasts it seems to take a while. And that while in my case might be pretty long but within few days data always gets updated in decent way.

So at least in my case with Thor satellite and Nordic satellite operator it seems that EPG gets updated in fairly tiny pieces day by day and eventually within a week it gets as it should be. This was clearly visible when one channel I typically follow changed location and I retuned it. In first few days EPG was very unrealiable but within a week it started to look normal.

Terrestial antenna broadcasted EPG gets fullfilled more or less immediately. It is probably related on way EPG data is uploaded in broadcast.

So nothing really done but problem fixed by time

Still one thing what I am not sure. If I do not tune to certain channel from DVB-S for a while will it update EPG despite that. I have feeling that not watching some channels for a while might cause some lack of EPG data in satellite broadcast. However I am not sure about this or is it just a wrong impression. The significant EPG lacks are pretty rare in my systems nowdays.

Ubuntu 20.04 using most recent VDR binaries from Ubuntu and some other repositories (fnu, seahawk etc.). More or less everything I want works but I would like to set up certain settings via VDR GUI in Ubuntu desktop. That has never started in this new setup. If I click the VDR application it opens and goes away immediately. In same time it writes something like this in log:

I have searched in forum. So far following things tried without success

• allowed_hosts.conf should be allow all mode
    • That symlink trial in one thread is done - no success

Bascially my guess is that it might be related on following things

• Graphics driver issues
    • Could that LIRC have some role - I have tried to disable it totally but here it jumps on list
    • Some firewall issues?

This is no major issue. I have been using this setup for several months and it does all the things I need. I am running desktop computer in basement acting as a VDR server and media itself is used via Kodi and other apps all over my home network. So seeing VDR running on Ubuntu desktop is just a final last thing that does not work in my setup and need is just minor configuration/settings need every here and then. Some settings are just handier setup using GUI than settings files.

I am running headless VDR server and I have no access VDR GUI in normal Ubuntu. The problem is that only way to see is my recoding from HD or SD channel is to look it in computers file manager and check the folder filesize. That is a decently working method but it would be nice to see that in Live or VDRAdmin-AM websites. I some cases I can see used codec in VDRAdmin-AM but not always. I believe in DVB-S2 stores the codec but not DVB-T2 so that is not a only clear indication about recoding resolution.

It would be nice to have information is recoding resolution or filesize as an addition to recording length and aspect ratio I can currently see. Is there a setting for this or is this just a missing feature in web interfaces?

VDR 2.4.1

Live 2.3.1

VDRAdmin-AM 3.6.10

Ubuntu 20.04

Now two days up and running - if it runs over the weekend then I am sure that problem is solved :thumbup:

Error message amount in log still minor - and all I get makes reasonably sense. I past I get a bunch of errors while computer unexpectadly was shut down but those are gone now and just few errors in different things per day - so looks promising.

Without calling the vdr-shutdown.wrapper the vdr won't be able to shutdown the system or set a wakeup timer.

My case is 24/7 up and running desktop computer acting as a VDR server in my home network so no need for wakeup timers etc. computer is always on. Otherwise your hint is worth of thinking - for now trial is removing that one line out from startup command. Tomorrow or maybe couple of days after that I can confirm did it the trick or not?

Remove the line

--shutdown=/usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.wrapper

restart vdr

Done - I will report in few days did it solve the problem. The key question in my perspective is that will VDR manual start, restart and shutdown procedures stay as they used to be. At least first start after shutdown went just in past so I am pretty sure all things work in future too. I will update this thread in few days after seeing will my system stay up for now.

00-vdr.conf

In nutshell first trial is comment out --shutdown line - or will it cause troubles in normal command line VDR shutdown that is occastionally needed?

FIle /usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.wrapper seems to be binary so I can not edit that but /usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.conf is editable and based on Tobias Grimm eTobi. However this probably just affects on VDR own shutdown and I am seeing now a result of that binary shutdown.wrapper

timo

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 using most recent VDR (2.4.1) I can easily get to it. System is server style and tries to be up and runnning 24/7. Now there is some instablity in computer which ends up shutting it down every few days. These shutdowns are related on failed timer setup in VDR which starts vdr-shutdown.wrapper and eventually shuts down whole computer

Process can be seen from second line in log below

I have used VDR settings (conf.d) to disable shutdown but no success. Decent workaround is server autoreboot and I can manage with this issue but fixing it would be more elegant. Bascially I want that if timer fails it just fails and computer keeps up running. There is no need to shutdown it due failed timer.

Or is my diagnosis wrong and shutdown wrapper is just a result from some other shutdown process. The phenomena is repeadetly same - epgsearch sets up some timer and that triggers computer shutdown. And this happens on daily basis or every second day so I guess timer setup is succesfully 99 times out of 100 but then comes the one that crashes things.

Thanks - thought mainly Notepad++ to find right lines but indeed grep makes it too - and probably easier. In the beginning I just find the possible lines in channels.conf and tune system to those channels to see what they broadcast. I am pretty sure that I am not missing anything interesting but with few trials I will see what I miss currently.

With quick test I saw bit of Hungarian Hercule Poirot so clearly some theoretically interesting channels might be there. Of course next challenge is that they might be dubbed to local language and no subtitles which makes it bit hard but we will see.

Still troubles to find right search terms to find right lines as I still get plenty of encrypted channels but for that I need to study a bit of this:

https://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/in…p/Syntax_of_channels.conf

The goal is to avoid all radio channels and get out FTA channels with some sensible broadcast. Contents of broadcast is easily seen in VDR Live EPG dialog

And of course sites like this will assist in process:
    https://en.kingofsat.net/

This works - almost 700 FTA channnels- though most mainly radio and test channels ":0:0:" string in channels.conf returns that in Notepad++ and if I learn still a bit more I should be able to find really correct ones. Now focus is how to search pattern in certain location from the end of line. So this turned now to Notepad++ learning task.

When that is done I will focus how to find just those channels that my decryption encrypts.

VDR GUI is no option as it does not work in my setup just now :)

This was the answer - so I read my Channels conf with suitable search logic and it should give me FTA channels. What I am not getting then what channels my paid encryption unlocks but this is a good step ahead. That is a then a next step.

In nutshell automated search is a character count between last letter and end of the line.

Brilliant - I will test this immediately,

Thanks - Timo

I have almost 2000 channels in channels.conf mainly from satellite. 100 of them comes from DVB-T. Via free to air and decryption I currently have roughly 50 channels visible and rest do not show just black in my display. EPG data tells that clearly something is transmitted on those. Is there any automatic way to see which channels are visible to me? Some tag in channnels.conf? Some tick in some Web GUI etc.? Or is only method simply open them occasionally one by one - which is quite boring process :)

Currently what I do is that I occasionally look the end of channels.conf and check those channels manually. That is the place where new channels appear and they are easiest to find but somewhere in the middle of channels.conf might be some visible transmissions that I am totally unaware.

DVBapi plugin failed - or its oscam connection. Otherwise everything worked well. So this repository may not work just now (2.4.4) with encrypted systems or then its dependable where encryption tools are originated. Any guess how far we are getting html5 live tv version of live plugin to these repositories? That is currently the main issue I am missing from my current setup but not that much that I would start learning compiling my own plugins.:)

Neighbour tested in VU+ and he had similar issues. On the same time he had ancient operators receiver and that read all the EPG well. So there is definetlty something system dependable but hard to say what.

For a week or so I have had a full EPG data. So this issue starts to turn to form where my operators data upload seems to be a key player related maybe on receivers capability to read it. I will ask my operators support how they work with EPG but as knowing their service my hopes are not too high.

So all good now but I am not sure will it stay like this in future.

It definetly receives data - it is just some data not all data and I am not sure is it transmission or receiving that fails. Based on local VU+ forums I thought that it is receiving but when I look those random locked channels from same satellite I am not sure anymore. I have complete data in some Hungarian channels and only my local ones are the poor ones. So poor EPG is definetly related on my local satellite operator but as I have not seen EPG in any other systems I am not sure where problem actually lies.

The solutions I am looking for are

1) Tune up EPG receiving to be more "active"

2) Force certain DVB-S2 channels use same EPG as their conterparts in DVB-T2.

3) Setup internet based epg for some channels

I have full EPG data in DVB-T2 signal in those channels but I am preferring DVB-S2 versions due better bitrate in signal. Of course I can give up and start using antenna versions but that is not my first option due image quality.

I am looking for someone to blame - either it is VDR setup or local satellite operator and plenty of things start point towards my operator 8o

Next step I will try is to knock someones door that has a satellite dish and ask can I see their EPG data. That confirms was that VU+ forum statement I got correct or not?