Beiträge von tmn505

Continued because of 10000 character limit.

P.S. for anyone wanting to play with Tombea these are more-or-less ordered strings from the app (there is some "devmode" which I don't know how to activate):

Bislang ist es mir nicht gelungen die Firmware-Version zu ändern, wird scheinbar irgendwo intern ausgelesen.

Rename the firmware to "Elgato_UAB_Boot_Image" and place it on a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Plug it in to USB port and reboot. The device should boot firmware from USB stick. This won't leave any permanent changes to NAND flash, so if You want to go back, simply remove the stick and reboot.

I would suggest connecting UART<->USB adapter to UART pins which are populated on J24, (I have the first version with 2 USB ports, might be different for newer one with single USB port), don't connect the first pin:

Code
    ZIM-1900 VER:1.0

J24: 1. VCC 3.3V, 2. TX, 3. RX, 4. GND
         ^

After connecting terminal You'll see also messages from bootloader. If USB is inserted there are these messages:

Code
    ***** USB AUTO FLASH *****
    SPI image Elgato_UAF_SPI not found
    SPI image Elgato_UAF_OTP not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_Boot_FW1 not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_Boot_Loader_0 not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_Boot_Loader_1 not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_UBoot_Env not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_Linux_Kernel_0 not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_Linux_Kernel_1 not found
    Partition image Elgato_UAF_AppFS_0 not found

I didn't test these yet, but I assume each will replace corresponding partition contents on NAND flash.

When I fiddled with the device, my goal was to put Tombea on different ports and block external access to them with iptables, then add minisatip as a client and use that as a server. Unfortunately I had limited time and with none sat cable available (have to change my sat installation) I had to postpone it indefinitely. Along the way I created a very crude build system, which would create a full firmware initramfs ready to be copied to USB stick. The build system needs rpm<=4.15.x, yum and yumbootstrap to create Fedora 8 chroot. The scripts are in attachment. Maybe You'll find some inspiration out of it. The flow of execution is:

1. prepare-source.sh, 2. sudo prepare-chroot.sh, 3. build-firmware.sh

Yess.. Jetzt hat's geklappt! ...Ich glaub ich hab vorher die tar als root entpackt, vllt. lag es daran ^^

Good that's finally working.

The issue is that kernel 6.1 introduced CONFIG_STAGING_MEDIA_DEPRECATED and it guards all the deprecated drivers. Although Debian enables staging media drivers for x86 arch, when config was refreshed for 6.1, maintainer either overlooked this or simply discarded. So if anyone wants these drivers in "bookworm", You'll need to submit a bug report.

Btw the Debian kernel recipe is tracked in this repo: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux (check respective branches for a particular release).

So, I tried to reproduce Your error (had only systems with Debian 10 and 11) but the modules are found without issues by depmod and also load without issues. So You probably compiled against wrong kernel headers or loading modules against wrong kernel. Did You update system (kernel) in-between? For reference this is output of depmod:

Code
    root@debian12:/lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates# depmod -a -v | grep 'updates/'

/lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-core.ko needs "dvb_dmxdev_init": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
    /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-core.ko needs "saa7146_wait_for_debi_done": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/saa7146.ko
    /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-core.ko needs "ttpci_eeprom_parse_mac": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/kernel/drivers/media/common/ttpci-eeprom.ko
    /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-ci.ko needs "saa7146_unregister_extension": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/saa7146.ko
    /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-ci.ko needs "dvb_ca_en50221_init": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
    /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-ci.ko needs "ttpci_budget_debiwrite": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-core.ko
    /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/updates/budget-ci.ko needs "rc_register_device": /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/kernel/drivers/media/rc/rc-core.ko

and dmesg after loading budget-ci:

Code
    [  996.902270] mc: Linux media interface: v0.10
    [  996.914926] saa7146: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
    [  996.914990] saa7146: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
    [  996.917448] saa7146: register extension 'budget_ci dvb'

The issue is that Debian 12 has kernel 6.1. There budget-ci driver got moved to 'staging/media/deprecated' and Debian maintainer didn't notice it or discarded the driver from kernel config. So You'll need to install driver like mentioned in post #2 or try to compile this single module (and dependencies) from kernel sources. Something like this:

1.  apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r) linux-source-6.1.

2. unpack tarball with kernel source from /usr/src to Your home directory (we don't want to compile as root)

3. enter source directory in Your home dir and run (this is one-liner):

make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd)/drivers/staging/media/deprecated/saa7146 NOSTDINC_FLAGS="-I$(pwd)/drivers/media/common -I$(pwd)/drivers/media/dvb-frontends -I$(pwd)/drivers/media/tuners" CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7146=m CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_CORE=m CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_CI=m modules

4. copy all kernel modules (.ko extension) from 'drivers/staging/media/deprecated/saa7146' dir and its subdirs to '/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates'

5. run depmod -a

6. now You should be able to run modprobe budget-ci

Btw. report the lack of driver to the kernel maintainer in Debian, so it gets included.

Edit.

forgot to refresh the site, SHF said it all

biggsmann save this as a file with xspf extension:

Open it in VLC, it should display HSE24 Extra HD channel. Naturally don't forget to stop VDR before.

For the TürkmenÄlem/MonacoSat test use this one:

Should display Persiana Family HD.

Thanks lnj for posting this. I checked if there's something two days before the patch was sent.

Anyway, as already stated, Hans will work on striping analog video parts from the drivers. This will move it from staging back to maintained area. Should be at least easier to bring back the analog capabilities, when the driver is still in tree, if someone wants to do it. Sadly the OSD part of DVB API will go away and I don't think it'll ever come back.

After Hans will post changes to ML, it would be good to see some test feedback. One doesn't need to be subscribed to the ML, You can download raw message from kernel lore (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media), example: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-…rkuil-cisco@xs4all.nl/raw. Open it in Your mail client, hit reply. To not break threading, fill 'In-Reply-To' field with 'Message-Id' of downloaded message (view the source of message to get it). That way it'll show the popularity of the driver.

If I'll be Cc-ed to the patch, I'll notify it here.

I doubt that that is possible.

I'm not sure, but Videobuf seems to be used to transfer the DVB-Data too.

Sorry, I should be more specific, I meant the budget cards supported by ttpci driver (didn't realize that saa7146 also support particular budget cards). From brief look at the source, only ttpci/budget-av.c contains videobuf references.

Btw. when zoran driver was removed and Corentin stepped-up to convert the driver, Hans responded with small check list: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-…c6-ea9036afac3d@xs4all.nl. Hope this helps, for me that's way over my head.

Falls das Anfang 2023 raus fliegt, ist es dann zuletzt in Kernel 6.1 als deprecated und in 6.0 regulär.

Wahrscheinlich wird 6.1 oder vielleicht 6.0 LTS Support bekommen.

Mit etwas Glück hält das bis Ende 2028, mindestens jedoch bis Ende 2025.

The 6.1 seem to be next LTS candidate.

Ich würde mir im Kernel aktuelle und gepflegte Treiber für Budget Karten wünschen.

As already mentioned, the videobuf code should be easily stripped from the ttpci driver. That would cause issues for someone wanting to also convert saa7146 driver, since both drivers currently are entangled with each other, and I personally don't want to do that until last moment.

Das scheint aber nicht möglich zu sein, bei dem derzeitigen Maintener (?).

Well, nobody asked or complained yet on the mailing list or #linux-media IRC channel on OFTC. I'll do that somewhere after Christmas (unless someone beats me to it), just want to give time for anyone wanting to convert saa7146 as well as the ttpci driver to videobuf2, so I don't thwart his/hers efforts.

Regarding the budget cards, aside from converting the driver to vb2, there's also possibility to simply strip the video input capabilities from the driver. We could probably convince Hans to do this himself, as apparently the vendor of Omnicom S2 PCI card is still selling it (https://www.omicom.info/PayPal_Omicom_S2_PCIr3.html, personally didn't try to order it). But as that would create not good position for full-featured cards, I won't post any request to Media ML until someone posts patches for removal of the driver.

As I'm not subscribed to linux-media@vger.kernel.org mailing list, just recently got aware that most part of drivers using videobuf version 1, have been moved to staging/media/depreciated area. This means that at some point these drivers could be removed if not converted to videobuf version 2 (maintainers wrote "some time next year"). The move started with https://lore.kernel.org/linux-…1455527ece2a@xs4all.nl/#t followed by https://lore.kernel.org/linux-…-hverkuil-cisco@xs4all.nl and https://lore.kernel.org/linux-…59-43c0b7f56486@xs4all.nl which in result landed in 6.1 kernel.

This post is to raise some awareness about it, as I don't have skills to do the driver conversion myself. Hope someone in VDR community can step-up and do the task.