Posts by vpv

vpv :

Fixed in V03, please test it. Thanks for reporting.

Unfortunately it still crashes, this is a build that includes the fix.

After installing from V03 current, markad seems to be segfaulting. Here's a snippet of the log:

I think it works if I run it manually, but I haven't really had the time to test yet. Edit: Yes, it works when I run it manually from the shell.

vpv Please test with branch V03. It includes now a fix for the calculation of the timestamp in the marks file for such type of recordings.

Works great, thank you! I think it now also works better with the Finnish "Frii HD" channel, which airs Discovery programs, but I have too few saved recordings to be sure.

Hi!

I'm having problems with the Finnish Nat Geo HD channel. The show is Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER. For some reason the ad marks are always late, sometimes a minute, sometimes about three minutes. The start of the ads is detected late and also the stop of the ads is detected late. This might be because Nat Geo has two sets of ads. Ads for their own shows are separate from the other ads that they run.

I have compiled markad manually, I'm currently running commit 83fc08bfrom the branch V03. kfb77 if you have time to look at this issue, I can post logs.

Thank you once again, kfb77 ! These discussions have been useful. I'll send you a PM, but getting things ready will take a while.

Edit: I noticed this specific recording has a "Tokyo 2020" Olympic Games sign below the logo. I'm guessing that affects the logo detection.

Because I have not saved all the logs, the situation is not quite like I first thought, sorry. I have looked at two recordings. The second recording was actually fine during recording and fine when using manual markad. Contrary to what I said, there is no case where markad by VDR works and manual markad does not.

The first recording is more interesting. I have uploaded the log as markad-successful-7-tries.txt. In this recording, markad says "no logo found in recording, retry in 6nd recording part" and then "cMarkAdStandalone::CheckLogo(): logo search failed". This is what confused me, I always stopped markad after these messages. But when markad goes to ProcessFiles, it finds the logo!

When I add --cut to this recording's markad run, markad segfaults. It tries to load 0004.ts, which does not exist. I have uploaded that log as markad-segfault.txt.

The "logocachedir /tmp" tells markad to search only in /tmp for logos. With "autologo 2" markad will generate logos and store them there as well.

You need to specify "logocachedir=/var/lib/markad" for your demand.

I'll try to explain what I mean. It would be nice if markad could detect the logo automatically from each recording without me saving the logos manually to /var/lib/markad (or anywhere else). The logos tend to change over time.

I used /tmp to get markad to use an almost empty directory where it has access to. In that case the automatic logo detection does not work with a manual markad run. If I set --logocachedir /var/lib/markad when running markad manually, then it will detect the logo (named Kutonen_HD-A16_9-P0.pgm) from the recording and mark ads correctly.

I also set -l /tmpin /etc/vdr/conf.d/50-markad.confand when markad is running during the recording, started by VDR, it will detect the logo from the same channel and same show. It seems to me I've found a case where manual markad runs and automatic markad runs produce different results.

I tested automatic logo detection. So far I have saved the logos under /var/lib/markad and let markad use those. I found out that when I run markad manually, it can't find the logo in my recordings from the Finnish channel 6 (or "Kutonen"). However, when markad runs automatically by VDR, it will find the logo.

Has anyone seen a case like this? I'm calling markad like this: markad --log2rec --loglevel 3 --autologo 2 --logocachedir /tmp - 2021-07-22.19.58.6-0.rec/

kfb77 I can send you logs if you want to debug this.

This is a brave approach. I would recommend, keep both, post the log file and I will look into it.

I'd be willing to take the risk. I just re-built my VDR setup and I feel like even if I lost an episode completely, it would not be that serious. I may contact you at some point, though. I'm in Finland and I took a look at the markad source code. It seems to have special quirks for some (German?) channels. If I find any issues, I can send you logs of markad handling the Finnish recordings and channels.

Does anyone have a script to use with markad --cut which would check that the cut recording is of sensible length and then use it instead of the original .ts files? I'm guessing VDR would also need a --genindex run after moving the cut recording to replace the original?

I could write such a script myself, but many people working together on the same script would be more useful.

I watch some of my recordings with Plex so there's no way to trigger the VDR cut function. Losing a few minutes of a show due to markad not recognizing something does not matter that much. Skipping the ads manually with Plex on an iPad is much more annoying.

I tried using this, because I would like to test Kodi with tvheadend. After activating the PPA, "apt upgrade" says:

Code
    1. The following packages have been kept back:
    2. kodi

So I won't let it upgrade.

If I then do "apt install kodi", it says something like this:

Code
    1. The following packages will be REMOVED:
    2. kodi-x11
    3. The following NEW packages will be installed:
    4. kodi-bin libcdio19 libiso9660-11 libmariadb3 libudfread0 libva-wayland2 libwayland-client++0 libwayland-cursor++0 libwayland-egl++0 mariadb-common python3-pil python3-pycryptodome
    5. The following packages will be upgraded:
    6. kodi

Removing kodi-x11 and installing wayland stuff seems dangerous. What's wrong?

(Sorry for the English)

Thank you for the good answers! I was motivated by what you wrote and bought a new SSD for the old HTPC and installed Ubuntu 20.04 on it. I then added the yavdr ansible stuff. The VDR setup itself was quite easy, though I had to google how to get softhddevice to be the primary output. Then I hit some issues with NFS etc. which are not directly VDR-related. I spent about three evenings during the week to set this thing up. Pretty much everything works now, picture from VDPAU, acpi wakeup and such things.

As per Dr. Seltsam recommendation I ordered a WinTV dualHD, as it's less than half the price of a quadHD and I think I would rarely need to record from three muxes at the same time. It hasn't arrived yet, ordering from a Danish store was about 25 euros cheaper than buying from a Finnish shop.

I've seen some issues with a distorted picture with the FF card but in general it works quite well, also with QAM256. I'll be able to use it for testing until the dualHD arrives. We still have H264 for HD channels here in Finland and I have not heard anything about H265. So the old HTPC works quite well.

Also, thank you Dr. Seltsam for the hint that you can switch from VDR to Kodi with yavdr. I did not know it's that easy. I might still test Kodi with TvH, that should be easy.

I haven't yet figured out which remote to get, my old MCE remote is quite worn out. Also with whatever menu changes yavdr does, quite a lot of the texts are in English, which is not a real problem but having two languages in the menus is a bit irritating.

It's a long message, thanks in advance for those who take the time to read it.

I'm considering coming back to running a Linux-based DVB setup after being away for two years. I live in Finland, I studied German in high school and have basic understanding of the language. That's enough to mostly understand the titles on this forum and deciding which threads to read with Google Translate.

It seems like the "Linux DVB scene" is a bit inactive these days. Which software should I spend my efforts on to get a usable setup? Or should I go for a Vu+ box? A Vu+ Uno 4K SE would cost about 280 euros here, so that's the baseline and I would not want to use more money than that on this setup. Some people seem to say that also the Vu+ stuff does not see that much development.

We moved from a DVB-T flat to a DVB-C flat two years ago and that was when I stopped using my old HTPC. I took a two year subscription of an Arris streaming box from my ISP (Telia), but I do not like that thing. To keep using it now, they would charge me 20 euros per month, so with the cost of one year of that subscription I could get some new hardware to do this myself and actually own my recordings.

I have a NAS running Proxmox in our home office, so I could run basically anything as a VM on it, but I can't get an antenna there. I don't want to run the NAS in the living room where the only antenna socket in the whole flat is. I also have a very old HTPC that I used to run two years ago, it has an nVidia GT 610 card and one PCIe 1x slot which I guess I could use for a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD card, but that costs 150 euros here. I actually found my old full-featured DVB-C card that I used back when I lived in a student apartment. I was able to install tvheadend on the outdated Fedora I have on the HTPC and I can see the HD channels from our cable. So that's a success.

I have used Plex running in a VM on my NAS to watch recordings that I'm able to download from the Finnish public broadcasting company (Yle) website (Areena). The Plex VM even has HW transcoding with the Intel integrated GPU that the NAS CPU has. I like it, but I've read online that the PVR functionality in Plex is not that great. For using tvheadend as a backend for Plex, LiveTVH.bundle and Antennas have gotten their last serious updates in 2018. However, there's a fork of tvhProxy in https://github.com/chkuendig/tvhProxy which seems to be maintained at the moment.

I could run Kodi in a VM on my NAS and use either VDR or tvheadend as the backend. But I'm not sure how to actually get the picture from a Kodi instance to my TV. Maybe that would require an nVidia Shield, which costs about 220 euros and I would still need to run something else for the DVB tuner in the living room.

Some ideas:

• If I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8 GB of RAM, a case for it and a Hauppauge WinTV dualHD USB tuner for it, that would cost about 210 euros. I'm guessing that would not use too much electricity. Then I could run Kodi and tvheadend on that. But it would only have two tuners, which should mostly be enough, though. USB tuners were not too realiable back in the day, but maybe it's better now?
    • If I bought a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD for my old HTPC, I could run tvheadend or VDR on it, maybe even Kodi, but the system only has 2 GB of RAM ( ! ). That system would probably use more electricity, but I've used ACPI wakeup on it before and it would only need to be running when we actually need it.

I used to be one of the maintainers for the Fedora VDR packages back in the golden days of VDR, so I'm not a total Linux or VDR newbie. I would probably run the yavdr ansible stuff on Ubuntu today, if I were to choose VDR.

Any help or ideas? What are you using and what would the best option in your opinion?

I did some more tweaking and it seems ACPI wakeup works after all :)

I disabled the BIOS' own wakeup options and then did everything just as told on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ind…akeup#Initiate_manually_2

I'll need to do some more testing to see if it really works reliably, but so far everything seems alright. Fedora 10 has kernel 2.6.27.4, so the wakeup related bug(s) should be fixed.

In general the motherboard seems quite nice, but I haven't yet been able to get HDMI working or 50Hz signal from the VGA output.