[Solved] Cannot upgrade VDR 2.4.6 to VDR 2.4.7 and Plugins

• Hi all,

I have Yavdr based on Ansible:

Zitat

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Description: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Release: 20.04

Codename: focal

I can see that I can upgrade VDR 2.4.6 and its plugins to VDR 2.4.7 but apt-get upgrade reports that the update will not be performed.

Here is the output of the command:

What I am doing wrong?

How to update VDR and the plugins to the newer version?

Thank you.

Server: YaVDR Ansible VM (VDR 2.4.8) as a VNSI Server and Streamdev Server. DD CINE S2 + 2 x DD Duoflex S2 (6 tuners)

VDR1 Client- ASUS AT3IONTI, 4gb RAM, 32GB SSD, MCE Remote, Custom case, YAVDR 0.6.2

VDR2 Client- ASUS AT5IONTI, 4gb RAM, 128GB SSD, MCE Remote, D-Vine 5 HTPC Case, YAVDR Ansible, Ubuntu 20.04.2

VDR3 Client- Modified Reelbox AVG II with working display: Gigabyte C1037UN-EU + EHD + 4GB ram + 32GB SSD. Streamdev client only.BM2LTS

UNRAID - 110 TB storage, Supermicro X10SRL -F + Xeon E5-2680 v3 + 256 GB DDR4 ECC Ram.

• Please show the output of apt policy vdr and sudo apt install --dry-run vdr

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Thank you, Seahawk.

Here is the output:

Server: YaVDR Ansible VM (VDR 2.4.8) as a VNSI Server and Streamdev Server. DD CINE S2 + 2 x DD Duoflex S2 (6 tuners)

VDR1 Client- ASUS AT3IONTI, 4gb RAM, 32GB SSD, MCE Remote, Custom case, YAVDR 0.6.2

VDR2 Client- ASUS AT5IONTI, 4gb RAM, 128GB SSD, MCE Remote, D-Vine 5 HTPC Case, YAVDR Ansible, Ubuntu 20.04.2

VDR3 Client- Modified Reelbox AVG II with working display: Gigabyte C1037UN-EU + EHD + 4GB ram + 32GB SSD. Streamdev client only.BM2LTS

UNRAID - 110 TB storage, Supermicro X10SRL -F + Xeon E5-2680 v3 + 256 GB DDR4 ECC Ram.

• I think this happens because you used apt upgrade instead of apt dist-upgrade resp. apt full-upgrade - although I am not completely sure which package would be removed by updating the packages (maybe the virtual vdr-abi package?).

Code
    upgrade (apt-get(8))
               upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on
               the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will be 
              installed if required to satisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be 
              removed. If an upgrade for a package requires the remove of an installed package the 
              upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
               full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed
               packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.

• If I understand correctly I need to perform apt dist-upgrade

What is strange is that I was successfully upgrading available packages in the system up to this moment with apt-get upgrade. The problem occurred once VDR 2.4.7 and the respective plugins came available (for upgrade) and I got message that they are not going to be upgraded by a reason unknown to my knowledge.

I am a little bit hesitant to perform apt-dist upgrade if you think there is a risk to break something as this system is my main living-room one and the family is using it all the time, and it is working very stable and reliable.

Edited: Just performed apt upgrade instead of apt-get upgrade

This time it worked:

All packages updated correctly. Here is the output from vdr -V

Thank you.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Alexandro77 ()

• I am a little bit hesitant to perform apt-dist upgrade if you think there is a risk to break something as this system is my main living-room one and the family is using it all the time, and it is working very stable and reliable.

On Ubuntu apt dist-upgrade simply updates all packages within the release (instead of upgrading to a newer stable release like in Debian). The thing you don't want to do for a yaVDR installation is calling do-release-upgrade without checking if there is a working upgrade path and yavdr packages for the newer version.

• Great. Thank you once again.

All packages upgraded successfully and the system is working as it should.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!