VDR based commericial boxes

• Is there any existing hardware vendors that sells a box which takes in VDR more or less with single click/image load etc. ? This discussion is raised locally as VU+ users are worried that company selling those is going down. Ten years ago VDR users moved to VU+ etc. set top boxes as it was easier for many users but now it seems that VDR is developing better than those boxes at the moment. So what is the easiest way to start using VDR for newbie? Can they just get it by paying some money?

How about yaVDR/EasyVDR is it something you just load as an image to some existing hardware as I have no experience about it? At least existing images refer to quite ancient Ubuntu versions and by that it is hard to believe it is very well producticed.

• Is there any existing hardware vendors that sells a box which takes in VDR more or less with single click/image load etc. ?

For VDR there was Reel Multimedia, but this company is long gone (there are still some people who sell parts and services). I am not aware of any recent commercial products that use vdr, but there might be service providers who set up vdr systems for clients.

The newer Intel NUC models (Kaby Lake and later) are a viable option if you want a compact box with an integrated IR receiver that can be fitted with some USB DVB tuners or work as a Sat>IP client - except for 4k with HDR (which work in progress, but might take some time until it works out of the box in a VDR distribution), they should do everything one needs.

How about yaVDR/EasyVDR is it something you just load as an image to some existing hardware as I have no experience about it?

The yaVDR Website isn't up up to date - since this project has become mostly a one man show, I moved to a different approach which allows more customization but might require a little more skill to set it up than booting from an image and be done with it: https://github.com/yavdr/yavdr-ansible - this is not feature complete yet and therefore at the moment it is more suitable for people with at least some prior linux command line experience.

The EasyVDR project has dissolved ([easyVDR] Wichtige Links), but there is still some ongoing maintenance and bug fixing for the latest release by some members of the former project team.

Another alternative could be MLD: http://www.minidvblinux.de/home?lc=en

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• So in nuthsell there is no commercial VDR variants at the moment and most likely market is so small that probably such will not exist in future too. I have no need for such as I can live with yours and many others repositories without problems. Basically only theoretic possibility is that community makes Librelec style VDR packaking to some device that raises higher in market but that is always challenging - as there is so many devices and needs in market so that make it match enough user needs is unrealistic. MLD is a step to that direction but there the hardware variability keeps that away from a category that you can call a product.

So answer to my question is no - which is acceptable answer too - we just have to live with it as things work with VDR pretty well even without anyone selling services there in between.

• I think there was (and maybe still is) the vdr sh4 project. The goal on this project is to run VDR on commercial boxes.

• Actually what has suprised me is that why these VU+ or whaerver those vendors are - why they do not use VDR or some other existing software but rather build their own application. Or actually it can be that they use these open source libraries and just make their own skins on top of that. I do not actually know what is hidden inside these commercial boxes.

• VU+ doesn't use Enigma2 by default ?

• Actually the whole market around "TV set top boxes" is stagnating. Most people who just want to record some TV broadcasting from time to time are just happy with what TVs have built in nowadays. For almost all TVs sold these days all you have to do is connecting an USB hard drive and you are able to schedule recordings directly from your TV's EPG.

And people that need more than just basic recording functionality more and more want their "set top box" to do more than just TV and recordings.

I guess in the long term VDR will more and more be used as a extremely stable, feature rich and reliable recording backend to be placed at a central place in the house to provide Live TV and recordings via network to several clients. And for really easy to set up clients all you actually need is LibreElec.

• Actually the whole market around "TV set top boxes" is stagnating. Most people who just want to record some TV broadcasting from time to time are just happy with what TVs have built in nowadays. For almost all TVs sold these days all you have to do is connecting an USB hard drive and you are able to schedule recordings directly from your TV's EPG.

And people that need more than just basic recording functionality more and more want their "set top box" to do more than just TV and recordings.

I guess in the long term VDR will more and more be used as a extremely stable, feature rich and reliable recording backend to be placed at a central place in the house to provide Live TV and recordings via network to several clients. And for really easy to set up clients all you actually need is LibreElec.

Which is excactly what I do - except for frontend I used Nvidia Shield. The local discussion here was mainly what are the options for current VU+ users that are used in set top boxes and conclution here is that VDR is one option but they can not buy it from the shop. It needs to be selfbuilded - at least for hardware part.

When looking the Dreambox/VU+ links above it seems that Dreambox is still existing option for the future and rumour was just that is VU+ fading away. So simplest replacement is just a buy a new Dreambox or some similar variant which seems to be plenty available in the web.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!