Way to see is recording HD or SD in web interfaces? (SOLVED)

• I am running headless VDR server and I have no access VDR GUI in normal Ubuntu. The problem is that only way to see is my recoding from HD or SD channel is to look it in computers file manager and check the folder filesize. That is a decently working method but it would be nice to see that in Live or VDRAdmin-AM websites. I some cases I can see used codec in VDRAdmin-AM but not always. I believe in DVB-S2 stores the codec but not DVB-T2 so that is not a only clear indication about recoding resolution.

It would be nice to have information is recoding resolution or filesize as an addition to recording length and aspect ratio I can currently see. Is there a setting for this or is this just a missing feature in web interfaces?

VDR 2.4.1

Live 2.3.1

VDRAdmin-AM 3.6.10

Ubuntu 20.04

• VDR Live 3.1.3 does this. There is a clear HD/SD logo in front of each recording. However it seems not to be 100% correct. Satellite based HD seems to belong category HD but DVB-T2 based antenna HD seems to go on SD category. Is this somewhere adjustable with settings?

Also I have some recordings from Olympic games wit 4k resolution and that belongs to category HD though it should be UHD or something like that.

So this works but not yet perfectly. If you take mouse in top of that quality logo it tells you what was the channel where recording was made and that gives a clear indication which was a SD and HD channel. So problem solved though there is still some further development needed. Thanks to all involved and us who will not compile by ourselves this works too as I am just consuming Ubuntu repositories maintained by someone else. Thumbs up for all great work. My contribution will be just some further bug reports as I clearly see some in this version now in use.

• Is this somewhere adjustable with settings?

Live does rely on stored recording information by VDR, so recordings info file. I'm pretty confident it is not checking each video containers, what type of recording it is.

So, you may investigate the content in "info" from recordings where live doesn't show correct information and compare it with correct displayed ones ...

HowTo: APT pinning

• Hi,

The SD/HD information uses the stream information sent by the broadcasters.

If they follow the specification 'ETSI EN 300 468, Chapter "6.2.8 Component Descriptor"', the displayed information is correct ....

For UHD, do you have an icon I could use for that?

Regards, Markus

Client1: ASUS P5QC, Dual Core 3G, Cine S2, Ext. Board von TBE, Xubuntu 20.04, VDR 2.6x

Client2: RPI3

Server: RPI4, Sundtek SkyTV Dual 2x

• OK - then the problem is that local DVB-T broadcaster is not using the tag in correct way. This will not be a suprise as plenty of other things will not go by the book by them.

The only way I could compare recordings was to open .ts files to VLC and see what it says for each stream. Used codec etc. was clearly similar in DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 streams and very separable from codecs used in SD broadcast via DVB-T and 4K broadcast via DVB-S2. So in VLC codec etc. was shown logically in VDR recordings. Why live sees DVB-T2 based HD as a SD is still open question. I need to now learn a bit how I could read from VDR recordings what local broacaster writes in Component Descriptor as at the moment I do not know how to confirm that.

For UHD logo - I have none. The test files I have are 4K UHD from olympics. They are stored for system testing mainly for streaming the data to Kodi but this is also a one test. I can look their description status too to see does it follow the same spec. Logo should be something 4K as there could be in future be broadcasts for 8K too. So I do not have a logo, but maybe official logos can be used for 4K and 8K??

ps. if this is a place to give feedback for developer the only bug I can curently see in 3.1.3 live is that it fails to change channels due ongoing timer all the time thougd there is no timers going on at all. This is no big deal as system works all the time but live just fails to change channels. Live version I am using is fnu repository based. The new things - web streaming etc works perfectly so this old channel changing just fails now in live interface.

• Hi tikola,

You can post the info file of a recording, where the SD/HD information is wrongly displayed. I can explain why live decides for SD or HD.

For other bugs in live, please create a new thread, here in this forum.

~ Markus

Client1: ASUS P5QC, Dual Core 3G, Cine S2, Ext. Board von TBE, Xubuntu 20.04, VDR 2.6x

• That tiny info file is enough? Not index or actual .ts? I will read those files through by myself before bothering you and based on that it looks that at least G value follows the SD/HD marking 40/41 are the values of it.

After some further testing I will report the channel switching bug. Need to bit google translate first as Deutsch is not my strong languages and there already might be a thread about it.

• The SD/HD information uses the stream information sent by the broadcasters.

If they follow the specification 'ETSI EN 300 468, Chapter "6.2.8 Component Descriptor"', the displayed information is correct ....

The problem is that the Component Descriptor contains only the codec (MPEG2 / H264 / H265) - not the resolution.

So it's always a good guess that MPEG2 is SD, H264 is HD and H265 is UHD.

But for DVB-T this guess is not correct.

• Exactly. And we had this discussion in the past already. VDR does not know if a recording is HD or SD. The only reliable way would be to create a new "plugin specific" config file in the recording directory. If it does not exist, then the icons should not be displayed. And to fill it with actual information it would be needed to run a short script which actually queries the resolution by reading it from the actual .ts file.

• The problem is that the Component Descriptor contains only the codec (MPEG2 / H264 / H265) - not the resolution.

So it's always a good guess that MPEG2 is SD, H264 is HD and H265 is UHD.

But for DVB-T this guess is not correct.

In my case it is clear that VLC reads codecs correctly when playing pure .ts file. That defines is transmission SD, HD or 4k. In VDR live these got mixed in a way that DVB-T2 based HD stream is shown in live as SD and DVB-S2 based 4K stream as pure HD like non 4K DVB-S2 streams. So clearly Live fails here a bit compared to VLC.

This is not very significant failure but failure still.

Here is my four separate info files from Tokyo olympics partly from Eurosport DVB-S2 and partly from Finnish national broadcaster DVB-T/T2. Value G follows SD/HD markings in VDR and that clearly fails with antenna based HD stream....which could be a broadcaster failure for sure.

DVB-T SD

C T-8438-4097-33 Yle TV2

E 62060 1627248300 7500 4E 1A

T Tokion olympiakisat, triathlon

S miesten kilpailu

G 40

X 1 02 eng MPEG-2 Video

X 2 03 fin AudioFin1

X 2 03 sve AudioSwe2

X 2 03 eng AudioEng3

X 3 02 eng Teletext

X 3 03 fin

F 25

P 50

L 99

DVB-T2 HD

C T-8438-8193-1502 Yle TV2 HD

E 62060 1627248300 7500 4E 1B

T Tokion olympiakisat, triathlon

S miesten kilpailu

G 40

X 1 02 eng MPEG-2 Video

X 2 03 fin AudioFin1

X 2 03 sve AudioSwe2

X 2 03 eng AudioEng3

X 3 02 eng Teletext

X 2 05 fin

X 2 05 sve

X 2 05 eng

F 25

P 50

L 99

DVB-S2 HD

C S1.0W-70-48-7205 Eurosport 1 HD (F)

E 32440 1627248600 9000 4E 4

T Triathlon: Kesäolympialaiset, Miehet

D (/s2021) Suora lähetys. Selostus Peter Selin ja Toni Roponen.

G 41

X 5 0A fin

X 2 03 fin

X 2 03 sve

F 25

P 50

L 99

DVB-S2 4K UHD

C S1.0W-70-34-7550 Eurosport 4K

E 460 1627248600 9000 4E 16

T Triathlon: Summer Olympic Games

S (/s2021) Olympic Games in Tokyo 2021.

D All the latest news

G 41

X 5 0A eng

X 2 03 eng

F 50

P 50

L 99

VDR 2.4.7 and Live 3.1.3 from fnu repository

• Ok, analyzing according to EN 300 468 ...

DVB-T SD

C T-8438-4097-33 Yle TV2

X 1 02 eng MPEG-2 Video

X 1 02 means: MPEG-2 video, 16:9 aspect ratio with pan vectors, 25 Hz

DVB-T2 HD

C T-8438-8193-1502 Yle TV2 HD

X 1 02 eng MPEG-2 Video

here also: X 1 02 means: MPEG-2 video, 16:9 aspect ratio with pan vectors, 25 Hz

DVB-S2 HD

C S1.0W-70-48-7205 Eurosport 1 HD (F)

X 5 0A fin

X 5 0A means: "reserved for future use" - so this is a non-standard stream.....

on my recordings it's e.g. "X 5 0B deu HD-Video"

DVB-S2 4K UHD

C S1.0W-70-34-7550 Eurosport 4K

X 5 0A eng

same here: non-standard stream.

I checked with the latest available ETSI Spec 300 468 1.16.1 from 2019-08

You can check if the component definition matches the recording files yourself with:

Code
    #ffmpeg -i 00001.ts 2>&1|grep Stream
      Stream #0:0[0x14e7]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive), 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 50 fps, 50 tbr, 90k tbn, 100 tbc
      Stream #0:1[0x14e8](deu): Audio: mp2 ([3][0][0][0] / 0x0003), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
      Stream #0:2[0x14e9](mis): Audio: mp2 ([3][0][0][0] / 0x0003), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
  • Thanks - this means

First two coming from local antenna vendor and both claiming to be MPEG2 - though second is based VLC truly H264

Last two coming from Thor satellite and both claiming to be non standard. First one is H264 and second one VLC says H265. Last two shown with HD logo in Live and first two with SD logo.

So conclution - Live shows SD&HD and information at least semi correct. This category is however based on value in data which truly is more or less nonsense in my case. So I keep pushing vendors for this but I do not have high hopes it will be fixed soon. Proper solution would be reading it from .ts file as now clearly .ts and info files are conflicting.

However this is a minor issue as if I hover my mouse in top of recording it shows me the channel that was used for recording and it gives me clear info is it HD or SD. SHowing filesize together with recording lenght would do the same thing.

I will test a bit more and formulate my wishes as a proper feature request/bug reports in a time. Nothing urgent really - browser based streaming is already shuch a big leap ahead that these issues are not very important.

• can you create an UHD icon? For HD & SD,

What icons you mean?

https://github.com/MegaV0lt/vd…ster/icons/default/hd.png

or the one for resolution? For example: https://github.com/MegaV0lt/vd…ons/default/1920x1080.png

• Made some logos for UHD

https://github.com/MegaV0lt/vd…d54b8a50c0655d058beb09293

Implemented in Skin only for default theme right now. please test. I do not have UHD ;(

• The problem is that the Component Descriptor contains only the codec (MPEG2 / H264 / H265) - not the resolution.

I know, this was also mentioned in another thread, but it is not correct. Please read 'ETSI EN 300 468, Chapter "6.2.8 Component Descriptor". Example from this document:

stream_content component_type Description
    0x1 0x09 MPEG-2 high definition video, 4:3 aspect ratio, 25Hz (see note 2)
    0x5 0x01 H.264/AVC standard definition video, 4:3 aspect ratio, 25 Hz (see note 2)

NOTE 2: In table 26, the terms "standard definition", "high definition", "ultra high definition", "25 Hz", "30 Hz", "50 Hz", and "60 Hz" are used as defined in ETSI TS 101 154 [9] clauses 5.1 to 5.4 for MPEG-2 and 5.5 to 5.7 for H.264/AVC, and clauses 5.14.2 and 5.14.3 for HEVC respectively. The terms "HDR", "HLG10" and "PQ10" are used as defined in clause 5.14.3 of ETSI TS 101 154 [9]

• Note: For stream_content 0x9 (UHD) I do have a problem, as VDR does not save the "stream_content_ext" ID

• Implemented in Skin only for default theme right now. please test. I do not have UHD ;(

Logos looks just like needed :thumbup:

I have one UHD 4K recording from Tokyo Olympics from Eurosport but as commented earlier its stream type indicator is nonsense. In generally VDR usage with that 4K file works like any other file. My need is just to get it streamed from VDR via VNSI to Kodi clients at my network and that works well. If someone wants that recording for testing purposes we can invent a way to deliver that over the web.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!