Failed timer shutdown whole computer (SOLVED)

• I am running Ubuntu 20.04 using most recent VDR (2.4.1) I can easily get to it. System is server style and tries to be up and runnning 24/7. Now there is some instablity in computer which ends up shutting it down every few days. These shutdowns are related on failed timer setup in VDR which starts vdr-shutdown.wrapper and eventually shuts down whole computer

Process can be seen from second line in log below

I have used VDR settings (conf.d) to disable shutdown but no success. Decent workaround is server autoreboot and I can manage with this issue but fixing it would be more elegant. Bascially I want that if timer fails it just fails and computer keeps up running. There is no need to shutdown it due failed timer.

Or is my diagnosis wrong and shutdown wrapper is just a result from some other shutdown process. The phenomena is repeadetly same - epgsearch sets up some timer and that triggers computer shutdown. And this happens on daily basis or every second day so I guess timer setup is succesfully 99 times out of 100 but then comes the one that crashes things.

• Hi tikola,

See "man vdr":

-s cmd, --shutdown=cmd

Call cmd to shutdown the computer. See the file INSTALL for more information.

Remove this parameter.

~ Markus

Client1: ASUS P5QC, Dual Core 3G, Cine S2, Ext. Board von TBE, Xubuntu 20.04, VDR 2.6x

Client2: RPI3

Server: RPI4, Sundtek SkyTV Dual 2x

• There should be the file /etc/vdr/conf.d/00-vdr.conf (?).

Can you send the content of this file?

Client1: ASUS P5QC, Dual Core 3G, Cine S2, Ext. Board von TBE, Xubuntu 20.04, VDR 2.6x

• 00-vdr.conf

In nutshell first trial is comment out --shutdown line - or will it cause troubles in normal command line VDR shutdown that is occastionally needed?

FIle /usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.wrapper seems to be binary so I can not edit that but /usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.conf is editable and based on Tobias Grimm eTobi. However this probably just affects on VDR own shutdown and I am seeing now a result of that binary shutdown.wrapper

timo

• the /usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown-wrapper is just there to call the script /usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown AS ROOT - a suid wrapper, since shellscripts are not allowed to do that.

When you look at the vdr-shutdown script, you will see it gets some settings from /etc/default/vdr, most important the SHUTDOWNCMD variable.

You may change this one to /sbin/reboot or just "do nothing" like /bin/true.

• Remove the line

--shutdown=/usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.wrapper

restart vdr

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarkusE ()

• Remove the line

--shutdown=/usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.wrapper

restart vdr

Done - I will report in few days did it solve the problem. The key question in my perspective is that will VDR manual start, restart and shutdown procedures stay as they used to be. At least first start after shutdown went just in past so I am pretty sure all things work in future too. I will update this thread in few days after seeing will my system stay up for now.

• The key question in my perspective is that will VDR manual start, restart and shutdown procedures stay as they used to be.

Without calling the vdr-shutdown.wrapper the vdr won't be able to shutdown the system or set a wakeup timer.

You need to adapt your configuration to the exact scenario - e.g. if you don't want an automatic shutdown initiated by the VDR you should set MinUserInactivity=0 in your setup.conf while vdr is stopped (or via the OSD) - see http://git.tvdr.de/?p=vdr.git;…6b9e2028ed7;hb=HEAD#l1080 ff.

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Without calling the vdr-shutdown.wrapper the vdr won't be able to shutdown the system or set a wakeup timer.

My case is 24/7 up and running desktop computer acting as a VDR server in my home network so no need for wakeup timers etc. computer is always on. Otherwise your hint is worth of thinking - for now trial is removing that one line out from startup command. Tomorrow or maybe couple of days after that I can confirm did it the trick or not?

• Now two days up and running - if it runs over the weekend then I am sure that problem is solved :thumbup:

Error message amount in log still minor - and all I get makes reasonably sense. I past I get a bunch of errors while computer unexpectadly was shut down but those are gone now and just few errors in different things per day - so looks promising.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!