VDR problem with CI and vnsiserver - no data

• Hi all

I have headless VDR 2.4.1 with Digital Devices DVBT and DVBS tuners (4 of each), CI slot from Digital Devices with CAM module and card

I'm having a problem for which I do not know where to start debugging. When I start VDR, Kodi connects to VDR and usually I can switch channels 5-10 times and after that I can no longer switch. I get vnsi error no data on screen.

I start VDR with root privileges on Ubuntu 18.0.4

/usr/local/vdr/bin/vdr --log=3 --video=/usr/local/vdr/spool/video --epgfile=/usr/local/vdr/spool/epg --config=/usr/local/vdr/etc/vdr --lib=/usr/local/vdr/lib -Pvnsiserver -Pddci2

I use Kodi with vnsi plugin

At first I thought it was problem with MTD patch so I rebuilt vdr without patching it, and with newly downloaded plugins, disabled camtweaks in setup.conf and it is the same.

For example in log that is attached, problem started when I switched to Fox Movies. Before that I could switch multiple times to some other channels.

vdrlog.txt

Then I stopped VDR and started TVHeadend, disabled vnsi plugin in Kodi and enabled tvheadend plugin and I switched channels 100 times without an issue.

Even before I started using VDR (which was 5 days ago), I never had any problem in tvheadend. Only reason I switched to VDR is MTD, which is not possible in TV Headend.

DVB-T channels work always.

I do not know if this is issue with vnsiserver, vdr, ddci2 plugin or even how to determine what should be fixed?

Yesterday when it happened, just to investigate a bit further, I didn't exit from Kodi, I started Kodi on another PC and I could switch channel. But later it happened also on this particular Kodi.

I am quite new to VDR and I would appreciate if anyone could help me because I promised my wife she would be able to watch her soap operas in bedroom while I watch movies in living room :)

Thanks

• Found some time today to play with it again, tried to make it work.

No success :(

I installed streamdev-server just to test if it works, and it works without issues that were happening before.

So it must be an issue with vnsi-server

Has anyone had this issue and found a way to solve it (except changing UpdateChannels to 4)?

Thanks

• Seems I was mistaken, after more testing same thing happens with streamdev-server.

I compiled rc of vdr 2.4.2 with only streamdev and ddci2 plugin, again same thing like with 2.4.1

Problem is that I can switch to channels at the beginning several times. Sometimes 2 times, sometimes 10 times, and then no channel (encrypted dvb-s) works.

DVB-T2 unencrypted works normally.

Log gives no visible error. I started VDR with log level 3

Code
    Jun  7 14:49:21 localhost vdr: [2706] Streamdev: Accepted new client (HTTP) 10.12.177.136:57279
    Jun  7 14:49:21 localhost vdr: [2706] CAM 1: assigned to device 1
    Jun  7 14:49:21 localhost vdr: [2767] device 1 receiver thread started (pid=2674, tid=2767, prio=high)
    Jun  7 14:49:21 localhost vdr: [2769] streamdev-livestreaming thread started (pid=2674, tid=2769, prio=high)
    Jun  7 14:49:21 localhost vdr: [2770] device 1 TS buffer thread started (pid=2674, tid=2770, prio=high)
    Jun  7 14:49:21 localhost vdr: [2768] streamdev-writer thread started (pid=2674, tid=2768, prio=high)

Because of this I haven't made permanent change from TVHeadend to VDR, so I still have TVHeadend on same system. I just stop the service when I want to play with VDR.

In TV Headend I don't have such issues with decoding encrypted channels with CAM inserted in CI slot of digital devices ddbridge. But MTD is important to me so I would like to find a reason why this happens.

I tried updating drivers, didn't help.

Could someone help me with some ideas, what to try?

Thanks

• I compiled rc of vdr 2.4.2 with only streamdev and ddci2 plugin, again same thing like with 2.4.1

Was this test with or without the camtweaks.patch and was MTD in use? With MTD you should find such a line in the log:

CAM 1: supports multi transponder decryption (MTD)

Helmut

HelmutB passed unfortunately away on July 21, 2022 ... RIP 🖤

• Hi HelmutB

It was without MTD patch. I wanted to test if I will have same issue without any modifications.

Unfortunately I can not test if I would have same issue on VDR OSD screen, because it's headless machine.

But I must say it's frustrating when I don't know where to look..

I thought that maybe it's something with diseqc not beeing set correctly so channel doesn't switch correctly sometimes, but I see VDR is background scanning all positions..

I still didn't ruled out diseqc as cause, but I don't know how to be sure.

• Hi dock !

I looked into your vdrlog.txt from your first Post. For me, there are some irritating messages regarding your channels:

First, it seem's that you have no signal on channel 55:

Second: FOX Movies has two entiries - Channel No 116 and No. 72 :

And third: "Travel Channel" exists as No. 62, but later VDR creates a new "Travel Channel" as No.198:

Code
    Jun  2 16:09:32 localhost vdr: [17649] changing pids of channel 62 (Travel Channel) from 0+0=0:0:0:0 to 4501+4501=27:4504=eng@3:4541=hrv,4542=srb,4543=mac:0
    Jun  2 16:09:32 localhost vdr: [17649] changing caids of channel 62 (Travel Channel) from 0 to B00
    Jun  2 16:09:39 localhost vdr: [17649] creating new channel 'Travel Channel,;A1 Broadcasting' on S16.0E transponder 111637 with id 366-50900-1944-0
    Jun  2 16:10:44 localhost vdr: [17649] changing pids of channel 198 (Travel Channel) from 0+0=0:0:0:0 to 4501+4501=27:4502=bul@3,4504=eng@3:0:0
    Jun  2 16:10:44 localhost vdr: [17649] changing caids of channel 198 (Travel Channel) from 0 to B00

So, maybe (in this cases) you get the "no data 16" errors because you simply switch to invalid channels.conf entries?

Helmut

• Hi Helmut

Thanks for taking time to look.

It is really weird stuff going on in my setup,

Yesterday, when I finally calmed down after spending a week without success trying to figure out what's wrong, out of desperation I tried starting VDR with commandline limit allowing specific dvb-s adapter. So I have 4 tuners in single DD card, and numbering starts from 0-3. When I start VDR just with adapter 0, it have same issues. Either I can't switch to any channel, or if it works, it works only few times switching and than it stops. I can't even switch back to channel that worked previously.

For any other adapter, it works without any problem if UpdateChannels is set to 3 or less.

I figured that our yesterday.

So I switched cables from adapter 0 to adapter 1 and vice-versa, and after that both adapters doesn't work correctly. Only adapter 2 and 3 now works.

I feel like taking a hammer and take a few swings at it...

I asked guys to come and climb to roof to check if everything is OK with diseqc boxes and LNB's. I have 3 quad LNB's and 4 uncommited diseqc switches.

I will let you know the result :)

• Hi HelmutB

I now came home from work so I plugged cables like they were before I switched it from 0->1 and 1->0

I started VDR just with --device=0 for testing

As you can see it have

Code
    Jun 18 17:48:00 localhost vdr: [1452] frontend 0/0 lost lock on channel 45 (Viasat Explore), tp 211554
    Jun 18 17:48:02 localhost vdr: [1452] frontend 0/0 timed out while tuning to channel 45 (Viasat Explore), tp 211554
    Jun 18 17:48:12 localhost vdr: [1452] frontend 0/0 regained lock on channel 45 (Viasat Explore), tp 211554

Then it just waited without lock for 10 seconds, then it regained lock and 3 seconds later it logged Audio stream change and picture showed.

Later I couldn't change to other channels, always no data, then I switched back to Viasat Explore, it showed it, then I switched to some other channel it worked once or twice, after that I couldn't change to any channel any more.

When I started VDR with devices 1,2,3 it works and I don't get lost lock/timed out/regained lock problems.

• When I started VDR with devices 1,2,3 it works and I don't get lost lock/timed out/regained lock problems.

Does that mean if if you disable only the first DVB-S adapter, you can use all 3 others without problems?

Jun 18 17:48:12 localhost vdr: [1478] ERROR: need to implement multi packet CAT handling for MTD!

This is the reason why you don't get subscription updates in MTD mode: Due to the pid mapping the CRC32 checksum has to be recalculated, but this is not yet supported for multi-packet CATs. So, you have temporarily switch off MTD or camtweaks on the first day of every month to receive the new subscriptions.

For any other adapter, it works without any problem if UpdateChannels is set to 3 or less.

I will send you a patch tonigth or tomorrow to log some more information with UpdateChannel 4 and 5.

BR Helmut

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!