Looking for an alternative for vdr-plugin-pvrinput to use my Hauppauge USB-Live2 analog video capture (USB)

• Hi all.

I have been using VDR with a PVR-150 Card to capture TV channels, from a RCA connector connected to a Local TV Cable STB operator in my country.

I use lirc to change channels in my TV CABLE Set top box and vdr-plugin-pvrinput to feed vdr. I used w_pvrscan to generate a vdr channels.conf file.

Now I want to replicate same system in a raspberry but instead of a PVR-150 I have a Hauppauge USB-Live2 analog video capture (USB).

This USB-Live2 capture device is currently supported by linux since kernel 3.14 and up. and It is V4L2 compatible.

Please see: https://www.hauppauge.de/pctv-…en:linux:usb-live2-how-to

Unfortunately vdr-plugin-pvrinput neither w_pvrscan do not support this USB capture dongle. Is there any alternative? I want to continue using VDR.

Please advice and thanks in advance for any hint to use vdr with this capture adapter.

Francisco.

• The Hauppauge PVR USB2 is supported by pvrinput.

I don't know any other plugin which supports v4l sources.

http://vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/HauppaugePVR

Lars

• USB-Live2 has no hardware encoder and can't be used with pvrinput.

pvrinput only works with certain hardware encoders. Supported USB devices are: PVRUSB2, HVR1900 and HVR 1950. (In case of HVR 1950 make sure you don't get an unsupported successor: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/i…/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1950)

All devices are no longer sold and even on ebay hard to find. The current status of HVR 1955 and 1975 is unclear - I saw patches for the pvrusb2 driver, but it seems they never made it into the linuxtv git.

Using an analogue device with software encoding under Linux will be difficult. A lot of people reported lip-sync problems. For usage with vdr (which is a DVB prog) you would furthermore need a way to deliver the stream to vdr. Maybe the iptv plugin in combination with a Script for vlc using the v4l2 protocol could be used for that. But I don't know of anybody who got this working in a stable und usable way.

My advise is to look for a used PVRUSB2.

VDR1: ACT-620, Asus P8B75-M LX, Intel Core i3-3240, 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz, passive Geforce GT1030 von MSI, Sandisk 2TB SSD, 2xWinTV DualHD, Atric-IR-Einschalter. SW: Xubuntu 20.04 auf 64GB Sandisk SSD.

VDR2: Odroid N2+ mit CoreELEC und Ubuntu in chroot, WinTV DualHD

VDR3: Tanix TX3 mit CoreELEC und Ubuntu in chroot, WinTV DualHD

• Hi,

Or use digital TV instead. Most cable networks have this already.

Regards Stefan

Test-VDR1: HP rp5700 Fertigsystem, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, FF-SD C-2300, nvidia Slim-GT218 x1 | easyVDR 2.0 64Bit
    VDR3: in Rente

VDR4: MSI G31M2 v2, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6" gLCD, E5200, 2GB, 3TB WD Red, GT730, 2x TT S2-3200; easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR5: Gigabyte
    GA-G31M-S2L, Intel E2140, Zotac GT730 passiv, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6 " gLCD, 2 TB WD Red, 2x TT S2-3200 (an 1 Kabel) easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR6:
    Intel E5200, GT630 passiv, F1 750 GB, t6963c gLCD, 2x TT S2-3200 | easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Many Thanks Dr. Seltsam. I will explore and study iptv plugin. I spent some hours trying to configure it but it seems it is not easy....

Could you please give me more details regarding: "Maybe the iptv plugin in combination with a Script for vlc using the v4l2 protocol could be used for that."?.

As far as I could see, I could define an entry in channels.conf (for example, to access an internet video stream) and with a vlc2iptv script I could play "or manipulate" that stream. The point is to use vlc2iptv script to "access" /dev/videoX stream video coming form USB-Live2?. Thanks in advance for your comments and clarification.

Again, thanks for your kind response.

I will be back with some questions. Thanks all.

• Hi,

Or use digital TV instead. Most cable networks have this already.

Regards Stefan

Thanks for the advice. My cable network set top box has a RCA output connector and a HDMI connector. Any HW recommendation regarding feeding from HDMI to vdr? Note: that HDMI signal is clear (not encrypted).

• The point is to use vlc2iptv script to "access" /dev/videoX stream video coming form USB-Live2?.

I never tested this myself. Maybe these links can help you:

https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Modules/v4l2/ (have a look in section examples)

This describes how to use the iptv-Plugin with Internet-Streams

https://sites.google.com/site/…dr-linux-ubuntu-14-04-lts

I guess you need to combine this 'anyhow'.

It is not easy. Another member failed:

IPTV + WEBCAM + vlc2iptv

VDR1: ACT-620, Asus P8B75-M LX, Intel Core i3-3240, 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz, passive Geforce GT1030 von MSI, Sandisk 2TB SSD, 2xWinTV DualHD, Atric-IR-Einschalter. SW: Xubuntu 20.04 auf 64GB Sandisk SSD.

VDR2: Odroid N2+ mit CoreELEC und Ubuntu in chroot, WinTV DualHD

VDR3: Tanix TX3 mit CoreELEC und Ubuntu in chroot, WinTV DualHD

• Thanks for the advice. My cable network set top box has a RCA output connector and a HDMI connector. Any HW recommendation regarding feeding from HDMI to vdr? Note: that HDMI signal is clear (not encrypted).

VDR is hard+software to replace your settop box. You need a computer (up from a raspberry to NUC or your gaming computer :)) and one or more cable-tv receiver cards or usb devices which must be supported by linux drivers.

• If you want to change from VDR you can look for nextPVR. There you can use your set-top-box with an digital HDMI input.

And the set top box will be controlled by the PVR.

https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki

NextPVR with HDPVR2 / Colossus

Wohnzimmer: NUC10I3 - Logitech z-5500 - Panasonic 55" TV - Hauppauge Dual DVB-C Stick - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - yavdr ansible
    Schlafzimmer: NUC10I3 - LG 42" TV - Hauppauge Dual DVB-C Stick - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - yavdr ansible

Streamingserver: -im Aufbau-
    diverse Test Clients: -Raspberry Pi + openelec, i3 mit Geforce1030

• Thanks don-baba. Interesting alternative I am going ti check it. It seems from video url that cx231xx decoder present in my USB-Live2 dongle is supported...

Is this colossus2 card supported by vdr?

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_colossus2.html

Best regards. Fco

• Thanks Dr. Seltsam . Great sources of information.

It is worth a try during this black down period of time.

I will study those links and let you know my progress.

Thanks again.

• No there are no Linux drivers die Colossus..

But you can, maybe put it in a Windows VM...

Wohnzimmer: NUC10I3 - Logitech z-5500 - Panasonic 55" TV - Hauppauge Dual DVB-C Stick - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - yavdr ansible
    Schlafzimmer: NUC10I3 - LG 42" TV - Hauppauge Dual DVB-C Stick - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - yavdr ansible

Streamingserver: -im Aufbau-
    diverse Test Clients: -Raspberry Pi + openelec, i3 mit Geforce1030

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!