VDR suddely crashing

  • I have been running VDR stable for a long time with ddci2 and MCD patch. This afternoon I suddenly struggle with exit errors all the time. Anyone got any tips?


    Logs: https://pastebin.com/2W0rwknn


    I am running on a Linux Mint install, fairly updated. The VDR is 2.4.1 with select patches and Digital Devices video card, multi decoding and Conax CAM. All of which have been working just fine for a long time.

  • According to the logs there is a timer running which does not get a useable data stream (maybe there are to many concurrent timers, so the CAM struggles to decrypt all channels?) - and this causes the vdr to initiate an emergency exit (which can be disabled in the settings):

    Code
    1. Feb 21 21:00:27 timeshift vdr: [4308] ERROR: video data stream broken
    2. Feb 21 21:00:27 timeshift vdr: [4308] initiating emergency exit
    3. Feb 21 21:00:27 timeshift vdr: [3985] emergency exit requested - shutting down

    yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

  • I dont know if it is really related, but this line

    Feb 21 20:59:59 timeshift vdr: [3985] CAM 1/1: reusing MTD CAM slot for tp C-370

    tells me, that you are using the camtweaks-2.2.patch. And exactly this Version does the pid mapping after reusing a Camslot a little different then all others.

    If possible, upgrade to camtweaks-2.3.


    How is it in live view - can you watch a programm with 5 Pids?
    Helmut

  • I saw this /var/lib/vdr/setup.conf.$$$: Permission denied in your log.

    Maybe thats causing troubles? Looks like this file should be writeable for vdr-user.

    MyVDR: yaVDR-Ansible (Ubuntu 18) - softhddevice-openglosd (ffmpeg 2.8) - epgd/epg2vdr - skindesigner estuary4vdr (adaptiert) - 1920x1080@50 Hz | kodi 18 - inputstream + amazon vod
    Aerocube M40 | 300W | ASRock H61M-GE | Intel G530 | Asus ENGT520 | 2 x TT-budget S2-3200 | ASRock Smart Remote (CIR) | 4 GB RAM | 120 GB SSD | 3 TB HDD

  • If channel switching or retuning on encrypted channels remain stable, then i think it had nothing to do with the number of Pids or how the Pid mapping was done in V.2.2. It is more likely this change in V 2.3:

    Code
    1. after a CA_PMT has been transmitted to the module and before the next TPDU will be sent, the system now waits for at least 300 ms.

    This gives the CAM more time to process CA_PMT messages.

    Helmut

  • Yes that sounds right HelmutB . It seems to be crashing when there was many streams being decrypted at the same time. It actually improved when I turned off the machine and powdered it off.


    But now we have many hours if use and no crashing. Very happy wife 👍👍👍

  • The emergency exit is the symptome, not the cause I think.

    Maybe this ERROR: unknown config parameter: EnableCaModuleTweaks = 1 is (part of) the problem?

    MyVDR: yaVDR-Ansible (Ubuntu 18) - softhddevice-openglosd (ffmpeg 2.8) - epgd/epg2vdr - skindesigner estuary4vdr (adaptiert) - 1920x1080@50 Hz | kodi 18 - inputstream + amazon vod
    Aerocube M40 | 300W | ASRock H61M-GE | Intel G530 | Asus ENGT520 | 2 x TT-budget S2-3200 | ASRock Smart Remote (CIR) | 4 GB RAM | 120 GB SSD | 3 TB HDD

  • EnableCaModuleTweaks was the name of the config parameter in the first version of camtweaks. Since version 2 the name isEnableCamTweaks.

    You can savely delete the line with this old name in "setup.conf".


    Code
    1. Feb 24 09:04:34 timeshift vdr: [4026] timer 64 (16 0228-0335 'Kjøp og salg med eiendomsbrødrene (R)') set to event Sat 29.02.2020 02:30-03:25 'Kjøp og salg med eiendomsbrødrene (R)'
    2. Feb 24 09:04:34 timeshift vdr: [4026] timer 65 (8 2028-2110 'Neste sommer (R)') set to event Sat 29.02.2020 20:30-21:00 'Neste sommer (R)'
    3. Feb 24 09:04:34 timeshift vdr: [4026] switching device 1 to channel 11 C-70-2-7015 (TV6)

    Was the programm on channel 11 (TV6) decrypted? If it was, then i miss the assignment of a camslot just before the channel switching, like this:

    Code
    1. Feb 21 20:59:57 timeshift vdr: [3985] CAM 1/1: creating new MTD CAM slot
    2. Feb 21 20:59:57 timeshift vdr: [3985] CAM 1: assigned to device 1
    3. Feb 21 20:59:57 timeshift vdr: [3985] switching device 1 to channel 54 C-70-10-612 (C More Stars HD)

    Otherwise it looks like there was just no data to receive.


    You can enable some debugging in camtweaks by adding 0x1000 to your flags (0x3->0x1003), but i think this is not related to camtweaks because with your setting only CAM-querying will be skipped and there are no modifications in VDR's data handling.
    Helmut

  • I am suspecting a poor cable connection. There are more of these than before:


    Code
    1. Feb 24 12:13:57 timeshift vdr: [670] read incomplete section - len = 264, r = 268
    2. Feb 24 12:14:08 timeshift vdr: [670] read incomplete section - len = 278, r = 158
    3. Feb 24 12:14:21 timeshift vdr: [670] read incomplete section - len = 457, r = 700

    So I will check the cables to see if that works better. Also I have removed the EnableCaModuleTweaks. The TV6 channel was encrypted but it was my wife running the TV at the time so not sure exactly what happened. I have after this error tried the same channel and it works fine.


    I think my next order of business is to double-check the coax signal cable.