New to VDR - install

• Hi, i am a long time TVHeadend user with DVB-T, DVB-S and DVB-C, Linux Kodi as my front end, and I want to take a look at VDR, but I just can not get it working with my setup. Could someone help me out a bit please.

I have a TBS 6281SE DVB-T/T2/C card, which I am trying to run in DVB-C mode. I already have this setup with working channels in TVHeadend.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 server, I have installed my TBS card drivers and can see those installed.

I then install VDR using

Code
    sudo apt-get install vdr
    sudo apt-get install vdr-plugin-vnsiserver

And start the VDR service:

Code
    sudo /etc/init.d/vdr start

On another VM, I open Kodi and enable the VDR VNSI addon. I then goto 'Client Specific Settings' in Kodi (17.6), this open the VDR settings,

Now this is where I get stuck. Where can I can for my DVB-C channels (I am in the UK), I can't find any 'SCAN' button.

Using this method, only version 2.2.0 is installed, I would like to use the latest version 2.4.0 with Ubuntu 18.04, this I have tried, but was not sue of how to build, I am new to VDR, but would love some help :)

Im sure there is something I am missing, can someone help me please?

Kind regards.

• Hi,

for doing a channel scan you need the Plugin wirbelscan or just do it once via the tool w_scan.

If you have a channels.conf with a channel working normally VDR updates its channels list automatically (if you have set this setting correctly set on "update transponders").

You should install the Live-Plugin to do such settings via a web interface. For streaming, you need the streamdev-server Plugin.

If you want to use the comfortable search for series and automatically setting up timers for them, use the plugin epgsearch.

If you want Ubuntu 18.04 this is more complicated because the standard distributions for VDR use Ubuntu 14.04 at the moment because the work to start everything with systemd is in progress.

You can try the packets for Ubuntu 18.04 with VDR 2.4 in the yavdr repository. But remember this packets are alpha versions, but they should do in you use-case.

regards,

Stefan

Test-VDR1: HP rp5700 Fertigsystem, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, FF-SD C-2300, nvidia Slim-GT218 x1 | easyVDR 2.0 64Bit
    VDR3: in Rente

VDR4: MSI G31M2 v2, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6" gLCD, E5200, 2GB, 3TB WD Red, GT730, 2x TT S2-3200; easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR5: Gigabyte
    GA-G31M-S2L, Intel E2140, Zotac GT730 passiv, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6 " gLCD, 2 TB WD Red, 2x TT S2-3200 (an 1 Kabel) easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR6:
    Intel E5200, GT630 passiv, F1 750 GB, t6963c gLCD, 2x TT S2-3200 | easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Hi Stefan, thanks for your informative reply.

I have located the wirbelscan plugin, but it states its for vdr 2.3.8, and I am, by default, on 2.2.0, I am using Ubuntu 16.04.

Is it best to do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04, and if so, how to install 2.3.8 please?

Kind regards.

• Hi,

Why dont you give easyvdr 3.5 or yavdr a try? It should make everything you want and that

much easier than self making everything. You should give the VDR Frontend a try also.

In easyvdr Kodi 17 is integrated and 18 alpha is possible via our repository to use newer plugins.

Wirbelscan: use the version for vdr 2.2 e. G. from our ppa (src and compile it yourself ).

Regards,

Stefan

Test-VDR1: HP rp5700 Fertigsystem, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, FF-SD C-2300, nvidia Slim-GT218 x1 | easyVDR 2.0 64Bit

VDR4: MSI G31M2 v2, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6" gLCD, E5200, 2GB, 3TB WD Red, GT730, 2x TT S2-3200; easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    GA-G31M-S2L, Intel E2140, Zotac GT730 passiv, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6 " gLCD, 2 TB WD Red, 2x TT S2-3200 (an 1 Kabel) easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR6:
    Intel E5200, GT630 passiv, F1 750 GB, t6963c gLCD, 2x TT S2-3200 | easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Hi,

Ich stimme SurfaceCleanerZ zu: Wenn du auf yavdr oder easyvdr aufbaust, kommst du wahrscheinlich schneller an dein Ziel, weil vieles schon vorgefertigt ist.

Über easyvdr kann ich nicht viel sagen, da ich yavdr nutze; aber für yavdr gibt es eine Installationscd, die dir eine sehr schlanke Version von Ubuntu 14.04, VDR 2.2 und Kodi installiert. Damit wärst du meiner Meinung nach ziemlich schnell am Ziel, besonders, wenn es dir darum geht, den VDR zu testen, um ihn mit tvheadend zu vergleichen.

Yavdr von der Installationscd bietet dir dann auch noch eine Webfrontend, wo du einige Einstellungen durchführen kannst; wie zum Beispiel Kodi als Frontend zu konfigurieren, wenn ich mich recht erinnere. Ein wesentlicher Unterschied zwischen VDR und tvheadend ist nämlich, dass VDR ein eigenes Frontend für den TV-Schirm hat. Zum Fernseh und Aufnahmen schauen benutze ich zum Beispiel das Frontend des VDR; wenn ich in meine Filmbibliothek gehen möchte, rufe ich Kodi mit der Fernbedienung auf.

Für ein moderneres Ubuntu und VDR 2.4 gibt es yavdr ansible, das etwas hilft, aber noch nicht vollständig und ausgereift ist.

MfG

Ludi

• I have located the wirbelscan plugin, but it states its for vdr 2.3.8, and I am, by default, on 2.2.0, I am using Ubuntu 16.04.

Instead of using a vdr plugin for an initial channel scan, you could also use w_scan. Just remember to stop all services which are accessing DVB devices before running it.

Code
    sudo apt install w-scan
    sudo systemctl stop vdr
    sudo w_scan -c GB -fc > /var/lib/vdr/channels.conf
    sudo chown vdr:vdr /var/lib/vdr/channels.conf
    sudo systemctl start vdr

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Hello, I am also considering VDR due to trouble getting MTD to work with my DigitalDevices CI CAM and TVHeadend. Only problem is that VDR is a bit complicated, especially when you install from scratch. I have tried with Mint 19 with some success. Got channels scanned and also installed ddci2 plugin and got channels descrambled. But I really would like something a bit more userfriendly. So my question is, should I install easyVDR or YaVDR rather than fiddle with Mint? I saw a youtube video on YaVDR with channel manager, that looked quite cool. But which VDR distribution do you reccommend? Keep in mind that I have only basic skills in German, so I need the UI and settings to be english... :P

Footnote; even if I got my Mascom Conax CAM to work I still havent managed to descramble two channels on two different tuners with my single CAM, even though it is supposed to work on VDR 2.4 with the DD CI and my CAM with ddci2. This is also something I need to overcome to finally transition from Windows (mediaportal/tvmosaic user today).

• Hi,

easyvdr uses VDR 2.2 at the moment, so it is not the 1st choice for your problem, if you need 2.4.

Eventually you can try yavdr ansible, which has some features working, but not the additional ones like webbrowser and that.

The problem of newer VDRs is that there was a big code basis change and some plugins do not work anymore.

regards,

Stefan

VDR6:
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Hello, I have now installed ubuntu 18.04 with yavdr experimental repository. VNSI, DDCI2 and VDR 2.4 works just fine. Still I get only 1 channel descrambled. Not sure how I can enable VDR to descramble two channels at the time.

I can install yavdr ansible to give it a whirl but the main problem is the MTD problem. Not able to find any documentation how I set this up either...

• Hi,

I think you should ask Jasminj directly:

https://www.vdr-portal.de/index.php?user/28188-jasminj/

Stefan

VDR6:
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Hello, I am trying this right now :)

Just a think I was wondering. In many other TV software you have to "bind" the channels to the tuner. Is such a thing needed in VDR? I cannot get my head around if this is needed.

Since I am on a debian system I will have to navigate the patching a bit carefully. Working on it. :)

• Thanks for the help so far but I am struggling to do this. I have been able to add the patches and compile but since I am on a debian system I thought perhaps that I could just change the prefix path in the Make.config to "/usr" but after I install I cannot get plugins to work. Maybe these must be recompiled as-well. Is there some easier way to make this work?

• Okay, some progress. I have GIT downloaded plugins to the PLUGINS/src folder and it works well for most plugins but I struggle with OSD.

When I start VDR I get the following message in the log:

The patches seems to work cause I get the camtweaks.conf for instance. All the features in xineliboutput are enabled (checked with ./configure).

Still why do I get the "no OSD provider availabile". After this the start stalls and I get stuck....

These are the plugins in PLUGINS/src

ddci2 epgtableid0 hello osddemo pictures servicedemo skincurses status svdrpdemo vnsiserver xineliboutput

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von corvy () aus folgendem Grund: add full log

• I don't see any loaded plugin in your log.

In my log it looks like this (after "found n locales" and before "loading .......conf"):

Code
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] no locale for language code 'ara'
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] loading plugin: /usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-ddci2.so.2.4.0
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] loading plugin: /usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-xineliboutput.so.2.4.0
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] loading plugin: /usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-osdteletext.so.2.4.0
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] loading plugin: /usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-femon.so.2.4.0
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] loading /etc/vdr/setup.conf
    gentoo2 vdr[10328]: [10328] loading /etc/vdr/sources.conf

Helmut

HelmutB passed unfortunately away on July 21, 2022 ... RIP 🖤

• Thank you Helmut! :) you pushed me in the right direction!

I reinstalled VDR into /usr/local prefix and manually started VDR with the command

/bin/vdr --user=vdr -Pddci2 -Pvnsiserver

Plugin xinelibserver does not work for me, but I do not think I need it either. I can still configure VDR from Kodi. Went into the OSD and enabled the CAM tweaks, my conf file looks like this:

My CAM is supposed to be able to decrypt 8 concurrent streams but I have only 4 DVB cards so setting it to 5 is more than I need. And now it works! :D Jay!

When these patches gets into a release I can go back to the debian packages but for right now I just have to run VDR manually with a custom boot script.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!