New forum skin and software is HORRIBLE!

• Why was the forum changed?

This was necessary from patch point of view. Needed security fixes and features haven't been available for the old forum software version.

Now we have the requested https approach and latest security features for the beloved vdr-portal.de.

This `new` forum wastes a ton of screen space, slow, and is annoying to use.

Well that discussion sounds pretty much familiar, we had exactly that 2009 with the switch to the former forum software version. We are a couple of thousands users, some will love the new version, some not, that's quite normal.

We will find our way into that new vdr-portal.de, as we have done it 2009. Going back to an old version with missing security patches/features doesn't sound like a good idea.

Screen space is adopted from browsers capabilities, give vdr-portal.de a try with a browser on a mobile device ... :)

Regards

fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Zitat

This was necessary from patch point of view. Needed security fixes and features haven't been available for the old forum software version.

Now we have the requested https approach and latest security features for the beloved vdr-portal.de.

That's understandable, although I wonder if this was really an issue to begin with. Or if a better solution would've been proper configuration of the hosting pc. Was the forum under attack of some sort?

Zitat

Well that discussion sounds pretty much familiar, we had exactly that 2009 with the switch to the former forum software version. We are a couple of thousands users, some will love the new version, some not, that's quite normal.

We will find our way into that new vdr-portal.de, as we have done it 2009. Going back to an old version with missing security patches/features doesn't sound like a good idea.

Screen space is adopted from browsers capabilities, give vdr-portal.de a try with a browser on a mobile device ...

No chance I will use a message forum on a mobile device. It's way too inconvenient. Here I only use a desktop + 24" monitor for such things, where there's plenty of screen, easy navigation, and fast typing on a real keyboard.

IMO this forum layout is so terrible it will make me stop coming here and just use the VDR mailing list only. There might be thousands of (mostly inactive) registered users but I bet most of the regular users are going to hate this. Hopefully there will be more themes/layouts offered than this so people won't leave or go inactive.

BTW, I managed to find a language setting. I changed it to English and all the forum texts are still in German.

• +1

Gruß
    Frodo

• No chance I will use a message forum on a mobile device.

But it does work great on my iPhone and iPad ... ;)

• BTW, I managed to find a language setting. I changed it to English and all the forum texts are still in German.

I think, noone has ever translated those texts.

Lars.

• That's understandable, although I wonder if this was really an issue to begin with. Or if a better solution would've been proper configuration of the hosting pc. Was the forum under attack of some sort?

If the software is old and unsupported and has known issues, it must be replaced with an uptodate version, even if it's not under attack. And there has always been waves of spam-attacks.

Lars.

• Its ugly like windooze. old design was much better

• Ich denke, dass auch hier gilt: Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ......

Insofern kann der Betreiber machen, was er will. Wem es nicht passt, kann ja das Board meiden.

Aber davon abgesehen: So was Gruseliges als Boardsoftware habe ich noch nie gesehen.

Ist aber halt meine persönliche Meinung.

Intel NUC 10 NUC10i3FNH, Digital Devices Octopus NET V2 Max M4, 1000 GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, LG OLED 77CX9LA

• MegaV0lt  rkp

You have seen, this thread has been opened in english by a none german nativ? So, please respond in english, thanks :)

Regards

fnu

• Ah, now I understand why there's been no Tapatalk-access to the forum during my trip last week. Will there be a Tapatalk-plugin again?

Reelbox Avantgarde II, 2GB, Turion X2 (TL-66), Kingston SSD (64GB)
    BM2LTS 2.95.1 RC10

Raspi 3, Libreelec 9.2.6

QNAP TS 412

DigibitR1

Zyxel GS1900-24E

Supermicro X11-SCL-IF, Xeon E2176, 32GB, 500GM SSD, 8TB HDD, Ubuntu 20.10, TVHeadend 4.3

• ReelChris

You do not need Tapatalk anymore, use your mobile device's internet browser ... :)

Regards

fnu

• Hm. I like presentation of conversations in text-form in a specialized software for this task since the times of Usenet and never understood the invention of colored, space-wasting, time-wasting forums presented by web browsers. Maybe that's also why I like the app Tapatalk.

Sorry, for me use of Tapatalk is much mure efficient than using a soooo slooowwww browser.

Reelbox Avantgarde II, 2GB, Turion X2 (TL-66), Kingston SSD (64GB)
    BM2LTS 2.95.1 RC10

Raspi 3, Libreelec 9.2.6

QNAP TS 412

DigibitR1

Zyxel GS1900-24E

Supermicro X11-SCL-IF, Xeon E2176, 32GB, 500GM SSD, 8TB HDD, Ubuntu 20.10, TVHeadend 4.3

• Well, in my personal opinion, Tapatalk became worse and worse over the versions, now it just sucks ...

vdr-portal.de with the new WBB is fast with all of my browsers.

Regards

fnu

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!