VDSB (Video Data Stream Broken) and Cine DVB-S2 V6.5 (SOLVED)

• This is a topic that is widely discussed in German side but as my German language is limited to Google Translate I hope someone can assist me in most correct thread. Case is Ubuntu 16.04 VDR 2.2.x from Ubuntu binaries and VDSB issue. I have dual DVB-T2 (DVBSky) and dual DVB-S2 (DD Cine V6.5) tuners and issue happens when two satellite channels are recorded simultaneously. Two DVB-T2 channels will not cause the issue. It was way minor when server was new but now it has clearly increased and starts to be a showstopper. Single DVB-S2 works perfectly so it happens just when one card handles two bands. I have SCR setup running which might play a role here. The questions are

1) Is this just card driver issue? I have used so far Ubuntu kernel DDBrige drivers and to work out issue I have tried DDDVB-DKMS from YaVDR, but it kills my DVBSky totally so that is not option. The other side of coin is that I have tested with TeVii S480 card and generated exaxtly same issue there. So is there a high hope that new driver complilation will solve the case? How far is Ubuntu 4.4 Kernel drivers compared to most recent one? Modinfo reports 0.5 for ddbridge so I guess it is pretty far from 0.9.28 currently dowloadable? In thread I have found latest NGENE drivers will solve the excactly same case but as my card is more recent version I assume NGENE is no option as this one requires DDBridge?

2) Can this be SCR issue? VDSB is simply just lack of input so is it possible that my SCR is not working as it should and some hardware changed in cables or LNB might change the thing?

3) Could this be a lack of RAM issue? My motherboard has been pretty odd and so far I have been found just one memory to make it work stable. That is just 2Gb of RAM. WHen going to dual recoding it will go to 80-90% of its capacity. So finding more compatible RAM and growing it at least 4Gb is anyway one step I will do.

4) Could this be a motherboard issue? As commented in last bullet my motherboard is odd. I am building second computer to test it but it will take a while and until that making this work would be best option.

5) Could be this slow recording disk space issue? I have RAID-6 on Linux and its in some cases bit clumsy in reading too. Could this be too slow writing capability issue? In my perspective VSDB is input signal thing and by that no affect on writing side. Error there should be something else.

EPSG update etc. things told in Wiki tested - no help. SO clearly issue is connected on multiple DVB-S channel simultaneous recording.

Any comments and point to most correct german thread?

Timo

• Hi,
    I think it is hard to help you because you dont mention the kernel version, you are using and the driver version, you are using.

In 14.04 there is the option to use the experimental dkms driver package of EasyVDR3.0, which should do it. Or you might test the new ddvbdkms replacement, which user nst develops here. This probably makes your DD work with newer driver.
    Treiber der Cine-CTv6/DDBridge/CI in den Kernel integrieren

Regards, Stefan

Test-VDR1: HP rp5700 Fertigsystem, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, FF-SD C-2300, nvidia Slim-GT218 x1 | easyVDR 2.0 64Bit
    VDR3: in Rente

VDR4: MSI G31M2 v2, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6" gLCD, E5200, 2GB, 3TB WD Red, GT730, 2x TT S2-3200; easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR5: Gigabyte
    GA-G31M-S2L, Intel E2140, Zotac GT730 passiv, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6 " gLCD, 2 TB WD Red, 2x TT S2-3200 (an 1 Kabel) easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR6:
    Intel E5200, GT630 passiv, F1 750 GB, t6963c gLCD, 2x TT S2-3200 | easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Ubuntu 16.04 - kernel 4.4 and just realized that ddbridge from kernel is just 0.5 so that is pretty far from current 0.9.28 - so I guess first trial is to upgrade ddbridge. However if I use yaVDR dddvb-dkms I can easily upgrade it to 0.9.28 but it kills my DVBSKy DVB-T2 device totally (lost in /dev/dvb) and though DD Cine is found it tunes out nothing - so that is not optimal solution yet either. Maybe compiling is the thing if there is no suitable working dddvb-dkms package to my Ubuntu Xenial AMD64 bit.

Or is there some configuration files for dddvb-dkms that might enable my system work? From Kernel with ddbridge 0.5 most of the things works except the issue described in first post.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tikola () aus folgendem Grund: Added some infromation

• Ubuntu 16.04 - kernel 4.4 and just realized that ddbridge from kernel is just 0.5 so that is pretty far from current 0.9.28 - so I guess first trial is to upgrade ddbridge. However if I use yaVDR dddvb-dkms I can easily upgrade it to 0.9.28 but it kills my DVBSKy DVB-T2 device totally (lost in /dev/dvb) and though DD Cine is found it tunes out nothing - so that is not optimal solution yet either. Maybe compiling is the thing if there is no suitable working dddvb-dkms package to my Ubuntu Xenial AMD64 bit.

With dddvb-dkms you can't use mixed devices, beside sundtek sticks. You would need media-build-experimental-dkms instead.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• That is true, it doesn't exist for xenial. Xenial is currently not supported by yaVDR, and the developers of yaVDR don't use mixed tuner setups. So for us the dddvb-dkms package is all we need.
    You could try to use the trusty package anyway. We have no experiences with this approach, but the package has no dependencies that would make problems on xenial.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• OK - I will give a shot with media-build-experimental for trusty - lets see what happens. With quick search it is bit hard to find AMD64 variant of that. Of course compilation is one way but as I have managed in life without it so far I prefer not to do it now either. I am not sure is it smart but thats how I have worked until now.

What is the actual reason why dddvb kills my DVBSky - why DD driver affects on other vendors card? What if I buy older V5 dd cine that uses ngene. Is there hope that it will do things smoother with 4.4 kernel?

• OK - I will give a shot with media-build-experimental for trusty - lets see what happens. With quick search it is bit hard to find AMD64 variant of that.

It is a source packages that will be build automatically on your system. So it has no architecture at all, because the sources are the same for x86 and amd64. It makes no sense to provide two packages that would contain the same.

What is the actual reason why dddvb kills my DVBSky - why DD driver affects on other vendors card? What if I buy older V5 dd cine that uses ngene. Is there hope that it will do things smoother with 4.4 kernel?

The dddvb package patches core dvb modules. After this the older dvbsky modules get incompatible to this now newer dvb core modules.

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

• Agreed - trusty based media-build-experimental made no change at all in my xenial setup.

I am slowly thinking that my SCR solution and LNB used in it might play a role. So my next trials are

- New old style Cine card running with ngene drivers
    - New LNB to see is this one faulty with unicable
    - tune up SCR settings in VDR as current ones are picked up from forum and left as it is as things started to work

I have slight feeling for LNB as things worked well in the start for a while and this issue has increased all the time. That feels bit like some electronical component is bit giving up. Also fact is that two totally separated cards have repeated this issue equally. VDSB issue is missing signal problem by principle and thats why I am thinking my cable, LNB or SCR might have a role here - in top of card driver issues.

• Hi,
    why dont you try without SCR? Your LNB should have a normal output also. Just for testing: Connect a wire and a VDR...

Regards,
    Stefan

Test-VDR1: HP rp5700 Fertigsystem, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, FF-SD C-2300, nvidia Slim-GT218 x1 | easyVDR 2.0 64Bit
    VDR3: in Rente

VDR4: MSI G31M2 v2, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6" gLCD, E5200, 2GB, 3TB WD Red, GT730, 2x TT S2-3200; easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR5: Gigabyte
    GA-G31M-S2L, Intel E2140, Zotac GT730 passiv, Digitainer2-Geh., t6963c 6 " gLCD, 2 TB WD Red, 2x TT S2-3200 (an 1 Kabel) easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR6:
    Intel E5200, GT630 passiv, F1 750 GB, t6963c gLCD, 2x TT S2-3200 | easyVDR 3.5 64bit
    VDR-User #1068
    www.easy-vdr.de

• Without SCR is bit hard as I have just one cable coming from LNB to tuner and reason why I need SCR is that getting second cable is VERY hard. Of course I can setup temporary additional cable but that is not the final solution due family reasons (it does not look good says my wife). Also the fact is that even with my SCR setup on single channel works well - so problems start when more than one program is watched at once.

So SCR works....at least when no multiple channels simultaneously used.

Just thought that if it is SCR issue would it make sense to test another LNB instead of just replacing card and drivers.

timo

• Just to ask ... do you use the "msi=0" parameter for your ddbridge module?
    Put a file "ddbridge.conf" into /etc/modprobe.d which contains "options ddbridge msi=0"
    and try if that helps.

• There may be some i2c timeout errors in your syslog. Just 'grep -i "i2c timeout" /var/log/syslog'.
    If you have none ot these, forget the msi=0.

• LNB replaced to see was it something physical. It probably had some effect but no breakthorugh. I will continue within following topics:

1) SCR/Unicable settings - do I have now all parameters as I should?
    2) Planning to install second cable to get rid of Unicable
    3) Still one more DVB-S2 receiver replacement to see does that have a role

So process continues - no major breakthroughs yet.

• One step ahead - this typically happens in HD channels and nowdays mainly on my DVB-T2 tuner too. The issue is mainly that It loses tuning every here and then and in worst case it will not recover never for those DVB-T2 HD channels it has lost until reboot. Now I noticed significant detail. It happens now mainly with single DVB-T2 antenna and while those connections are totally lost card itself works as another DVB-T2 antenna and S2 HD channels works.

So I am comining to conclution that this is probably a broadcasting issue for one antenna and provider. Other users in Finland has reported bad tuning for that same antenna when using Enigma devices.

So question can be transferred to form. What are best practises to tune up system for bad or even faulty transmission in DVB-T2 (or HD generally) and how to adjust VDR capabilities for recovery from these incidents?

• Ancient post but lets update as problem is solved. This was most likely a hardware issue where the receiving card may not be only one who had role but generic hardware could be causing it too. Now new Ubuntu 20.04 server and new hardware (including DVB-S2 card) and no broken video data streams. I have not tested but I bet the problematic Cine card will work without errors in new hardware too. I will test that someday - in coming years :)

Currently the main error message generator for my VDR server seems to be VNSI server for Kodi usage but as it is not critical to my use it will not harm much. In longer run it would be nice to find a streamdev server compatible media reader for Apple and Android TV so I get rid of unmaintained VNSI. However still VNSI&Kodi works extremely well still so there is no rush but getting Streamdev server capabilities for more client softwares would be a good step ahead.

• Streamdev is not currently causing me error messages as VNSI does so either it works more solid or it reports its actions worse than VNSI. As a VLC usage Streamdev works pretty solidly still but of course VNSI does same thing too - just way more error messages in log.

Actually the real preferred need would probably be a Plex plugin so that Plex will be the frontend in my all media players but that plugin is probably in quite ancient state also. I am running VDR and PlexServer in same computer so if Plex learns to read VDR stream and pushes that out to all Plex clients that would be a optimal solution as then single client tool would work in all media devices in my network. Now I mix use VLC and Kodi as VDR clients and Plex for non VDR based medias. Less plugins would proably mean less troubles in long run.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!