Recommend DVB-T USB tuner for VDR (Ubuntu Trust and later Vivid)

  • Hi,
    I just got an antenna mounted at the top of the building for DVB-T reception. I'm even very close to the transmitter tower, and the system was made by a professional, the signal is great!


    I'm already running VDR as a backend with a DVB-S2 card for a long time and it is rock solid and stable.
    At the moment I have a cheap Chinese off the eBay tuner for DVB-T. Basically it works, no problems at all, except that it uses mcx connection, so an UF to MCX cable needs to be inserted, and I guess I loose a lot of signal strength on that conversion, as it is a thick cable, but I can't confirm that, no ways to test.


    The tuner is identified as:



    So it is an ITE device, and IT913x bx. I'm on kernel 3.19.0-28-generic #30~14.04.1-Ubuntu, tuner is found without need of media_build.


    The only problem I have is with the HD channels, all the SD channels are working excellent. The HD channels are sometimes working good, there are only occasional pixelations on the screen, however, sometimes the video gets corrupted, and it "brakes/falls apart" and becomes green, and garbage on the screen. Switching to SD channel is perfect. After a restart, it usually works. I get full of this in VDR log:


    Code
    1. Sep 17 08:48:00 serverpc vdr: [3788] frontend 0/0 lost lock on channel 153 (M1 HD), tp 722
    2. Sep 17 08:48:02 serverpc vdr: [3788] frontend 0/0 timed out while tuning to channel 153 (M1 HD), tp 722
    3. Sep 17 08:48:03 serverpc vdr: [3788] frontend 0/0 regained lock on channel 153 (M1 HD), tp 722
    4. Sep 17 08:48:06 serverpc vdr: [3788] frontend 0/0 lost lock on channel 153 (M1 HD), tp 722
    5. Sep 17 08:48:06 serverpc vdr: [3788] frontend 0/0 regained lock on channel 153 (M1 HD), tp 722
    6. Sep 17 08:48:06 serverpc vdr: [3788] frontend 0/0 lost lock on channel 153 (M1 HD), tp 722


    Why could it be, any ideas?


    On the other hand, could you recommend me some cheap USB DVB-T (single) tuners that work fine without any problems on Ubuntu kernel 3.19 and onwards, and VDR?
    Please list some specific names.


    Thanks!

    Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Clients: notebook, netbook, desktop, Pi2, WP
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380

  • I would suggest: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Geniatech_T230


    Nice && modern demod chip, price around 30,-
    Supported from 3.19 (or newer linuxtv drivers).


    btw: i wouldnt expect that the mcx connector is the problem itself,
    but for usage with vdr/vlc/recordings at all, you should avoid cheep indoor antennas anyway.

  • Thanks Wirbel


    I'm not using a cheep indoor antenna at all, I have a professional antenna on the top of the building with excellent reception, mounted by a professional. The coax cable goes to my room where the server is, then I need to connect it with the mcx cable.
    Not sure if my tuner is the weak spot here, as it is working nice sometimes, and then it starts the lost lock, regained lock and HD DVB-T channels. After a server restart it works fine. I assume it must be the tuner I use. Or?


    I will look into the Ganiatech T230, especially if it is a recommended device. I don't see it nowhere except in China stores, any ideas for EU? But first I would like to see if the tuner I have is the problem or something different. Any ideas how to debug this?

    Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Clients: notebook, netbook, desktop, Pi2, WP
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380

  • Just the tuner i personally would recommend, not a general recommendation.


    I got mine from amazon (August T210 v2).

  • The problem looks similar like behaviour of earlier Afatech sticks (af9013/9015).


    Usually unplugging USB and reconnect gives a working device again for a while, but any sw has to open device again.
    Those sticks had also a problem that after some number of frequency tunings: no lock and no data anymore.

  • I'm 99% sure that the problem is with the cheap stick I have. I already ordered the recommended Ganiatech T230, will take some two or more weeks until I get it, but that should be a fine stick and everything should work as expected.
    Once I have it, I will report back here my findings.


    Thank you guys for your help!

    Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Clients: notebook, netbook, desktop, Pi2, WP
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380