Satellite rotor/motor configuration

• Yes, of course, I'm reading and trying to understand everything! Sorry if I missed a part of information:(
    Confused me that I thought Openelec has a stable older version!

Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Clients: notebook, netbook, desktop, Pi2, WP
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380

• Can you please help me with this, how can I configure VDR for these satellites and providers?

For an USALS motor following configuration should work.

LNB with voltage/toneburst control (DiSEqC ON):

Code
    S360E   11700 V  9750  t v W20 P W20 t v
    S360E   99999 V 10600  t v W20 P W20 T v
    S360E   11700 H  9750  t v W20 P W20 t V
    S360E   99999 H 10600  t v W20 P W20 T V

For a DiSEqC motor must diseqc.conf for each satellite have its own entry. (DiSEqC ON):

Source.

Albert

• But how do I link the channels in channels.conf to the correct positions?

This is not necessary. For understanding.

- The channels.conf needs no special modification for the motorized dish.
    - In the diseqc.conf P means that at this point for the positioning necessary DiSEqC sequence will be inserted.
    - If in the diseqc.conf only P stands there, the position is taken from the first parameter of the corresponding row in the channels.conf (eg S28.2E), calculated and reported to the motor.
    - Stands there P followed by a number (eg P1), then to the motor will reported only this number, the position previously stored in the motor at this number.

Albert

• You will also need to setup correct latitude and longitude for your place. This is done in setup.conf or over OSD.
    This are setting which i use in Vienna:

Code
    DiSEqC = 1
    SiteLat = 482
    SiteLon = 164

And the USALS settings in diseqc.conf are same as the one which ATD posted.

I am posing here some channels which you can use to tun on these satalite positions.

If you put updatechannels to 5 in setup.conf it will insert all channels on that TP and add other TP. More to reader here DVB

Code
    UpdateChannels = 5
  • You will also need to setup correct latitude and longitude for your place. This is done in setup.conf or over OSD.

I have assumed that it is trivial. Do it better with the OSD. The VDR can not know where on earth the dish was placed. ;)

Albert

• So much thanks for all of you! This is what I call support! I'm glad to be part of this community!
    Now everything is clear, at least I hope so!

Regarding the USALS coordinates: it was clear to me that I have to enter those, just I was very confused of what can be done in OSD and what by editing the conf files. Basically now I have a complete picture, thanks to you guys!

Now I need to find some time to configure everything (it is a little bit a challenge now, as my wife and my little daughter have different plans with me regarding the weekend:)).

One more question regarding channel scan:
    is there a way I could scan just a given provider? For example, what should I do and how if I want to scan only the channels of UPC Direct on 0,8W Thor? I can do this on my STB (and later I delete the channels that are by UPC but for different country).

Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380

• is there a way I could scan just a given provider? For example, what should I do and how if I want to scan only the channels of UPC Direct on 0,8W Thor?

I think this is unlikely. You can only search for all channels and sort them later. In the future, any new channels found will be inserted at the end of the channel list.

For the satellite at the position 28.2E you can find channels in channelpedia. You have two options to scan channels for the other satellites:

The first is that you use the function "automated background scan" of the VDR. To do this you need to set "UpdateChannel" to value 5 in the setup.conf. This can also be done with the OSD.
    Please note, this only works if you have more than one tuner and at least one functioning channel for the satellite to be scanned!
    If you are manually editing setup.conf or channels.conf, then the VDR must be stopped before, otherwise the changes are lost.

The second way is using w_scan. A channel scan with w_scan applies a manual positioning on the respective Satellite advance before scanning.

Code
    w_scan -fs -sS0W8 >> /etc/vdr/channelx.conf
    or
    w_scan -fs -sS16E0 >> /etc/vdr/channelx.conf

After a successful scan you can integrate the content of channelx.conf into the channels.conf.

Good luck. ;)

Albert

• The second way is using w_scan. A channel scan with w_scan applies a manual positioning on the respective Satellite advance before scanning.

Code
    or
    w_scan -fs -sS16E0 >> /etc/vdr/channelx.conf

After a successful scan you can integrate the content of channelx.conf into the channels.conf.

Thank you and sorry for the late reply, I'm basically overwhelmed with work, no time to configure HTPC:(

Is there an option in w_scan to scan only predefined frequencies? To give only the frequencies of UPC Direct for example.

With the
    command all the available frequencies will be scanned on 0,8W if I understand it correctly? That is a lot of time and channels:)

• Zitat von atd

A channel scan with w_scan applies a manual positioning on the respective Satellite advance before scanning.

It's easier to position before, but not a requirement. Also possible to pass a rotor config file && specify position.
    However, create that config may be more effort then positioning at all. ;)

Is there an option in w_scan to scan only predefined frequencies? To give only the frequencies of UPC Direct for example.

Not foreseen - as it's not wanted.
    If thats what you want, use dvbv5_scan or scan-s2.

Zitat

command all the available frequencies will be scanned on 0,8W if I understand it correctly? That is a lot of time and channels:)

So what?
    The program works without you sitting in front of desk..

• Is there an option in w_scan to scan only predefined frequencies

Sorry, I can not give a definite answer to you. I do not use w_scan, so I only know that it exists and what it does. You can type w_scan -h or w_scan -H to see the (advanced) options.

all the available frequencies will be scanned on 0,8W if I understand it correctly

The developer of w_scan has answered your question.

Also possible to pass a rotor config file && specify position.

I've already read it. Options -r and -p (/usr/share/doc/w-scan/examples/rotor.conf).

So what?

I don't think he likes sort a lot of channels. ;)

Albert

• Thanks for your help!

It's easier to position before, but not a requirement. Also possible to pass a rotor config file && specify position.
    However, create that config may be more effort then positioning at all. ;)

I agree. It is no effort at all to position the sat one time for channel scan. I will add all the satellites I can see and lock, one FTA channel from each, then later I can always use USALS to position the sat and scan, should I need something fro that satellite.

Not foreseen - as it's not wanted.
    If thats what you want, use dvbv5_scan or scan-s2.

Strange, but no problem. I mean, what do you do if you just want to update a single frequency from a provider?

So what?

No, not the scanning time, but rather the amount of channels on some satellites, since I don't need 95% of them. This makes me wonder, what do you do if a provider adds a channel or changes the frequency? You scan the whole sat again? I know about auto update option (5 if I remember correctly), but it requires at least two tuners if I'm correct.

• I don't think he likes sort a lot of channels. ;)

I guess it's not just me:) Anyway, i will do this and sort all the channels, when I have it, I can upload to the site where you have said 28.2E channel list is uploaded. I see that the version for Thor is rather old now.

I always think that a software is as much powerful and good when it is stable and has many customizations available:)

• I know about auto update option (5 if I remember correctly), but it requires at least two tuners if I'm correct.

One Tuner is enough, you can force an EPG-SCAN (e.g. by sending SCAN via svdrpsend or pressing the red button within the EPG-Settings), if you want to (or just let the VDR do it after an inactivity timeout).

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Guys, this is truly a great community! You are all very helpful and as a n00b I'm very thankful for this!
    I think I have all the necessary information to set up my system, and I truly hope I wont encounter any difficulties. I will let you know once I manage to do everything.

I know I should open a new topic for this, but just a few quick question regarding timeshifting and recording:

- is there a way to set the skip back/ff steps in seconds? Or to configure as it is in MediaPortal, which is great, like if you press once the back then it jumps back in buffer 15 seconds, press again, jumps back 30 seconds, again 3 minutes, etc, you can configure the seconds and minutes as you wish

- can I configure the place if timeshifting buffer and recordings, single seat setup. I don't want to have tshift and rec on SSD but on my other HDD

- is it possible to map functions/customize the remote to given commands?

• I guess it's not just me:) Anyway, i will do this and sort all the channels, when I have it, I can upload to the site where you have said 28.2E channel list is uploaded. I see that the version for Thor is rather old now.

I always think that a software is as much powerful and good when it is stable and has many customizations available:)

As long as they follow the basic ideas of the program.
    And the basic principle is here: do a channel scan on a digital network without knowledge of it's detailled services.

• And the basic principle is here: do a channel scan on a digital network without knowledge of it's detailled services.

I see the real benefit of this and I completely agree!

• gurabli, is English your native language? Don't worry, but I ask not without reason. ;)

Albert

• ATD, sorry for the late answer, I'm extremely busy with work and family.

No, English is not my native language, but let's put it this way: it's almost my second native language:) I don't worry at all, but I'm curious why are you asking:)))

• No, English is not my native language, but let's put it this way: it's almost my second native language:) I don't worry at all, but I'm curious why are you asking:)))

I have a job for someone. A professional translation would be desirable. I can't do it themselves, not without it seems ungainly. :(

The job.

Native speakers with mathematical skills are of course an advantage. ;)

Albert

• I'm more than happy to help with translation, and I have quite a lot experience with translations. One problem is, if I'm correct, the source is in German? My German is unfortunately very basic, and the other problem is, my maths skills are extremely poor:(
    I have a feeling that I'm not the best pick for this job:)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!