vdr-plugin-satip on DSI-400 and clones

• arel

As far as I understand all proposed changes, hints and other findings have found it's way into the upstream versions, whereas 0.3.1 is the latest public available version/snapshot ...

Looking into plugins short history and rofa's awesome work, I think progress and usability is far further then I ever expected. For me it's close to stable, but the journey has just begun, I guess everybody does see some minor issues. It's not always clear that plugin is the cause and it seems there's room for kind of dialects in the specs. So, every box does obviously work slightly different. What LSB release do you use, Precise or Trusty?

Regarding DVBAPI, well, due it's nature I guess you won't see it ever, as vdr-plugin-satip does not provide kernel drivers, which do provide DVBAPI version. So, to decode channels you need to use manio's vdr-plugin-dvbapi in the latest release in a so called network mode.

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

• fnu
    Thanks for your fast feedback. I´m using Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (precise)
    Concerning DVBAPI I´´ve already used "network mode", but I cant get succes...but this is an other story. Maybe I will try manios "release" an compile it on my own. I thought "yours" which was included in your repo has this feature...

The satip plugin is a real awesome development into the "right" direction...in germany a 4 tuner device like the gss.box DSI400 costs less than 130 Euro.....in comparison a 4 tuner TBS card which is as far as i know the cheapest solution, cost more than 200 Euro....and has NO functionality without a pc ;)

today I will test MLD 4.0 (where the satip plugin is already also included) and check if this could be an option (based on Raspberry Pi)

If someone is interested in my experience concerning the tests of the plugin etc. I can open a new thread and keep you informed...

kind regards
    arel

• Maybe I will try manios "release" an compile it on my own. I thought "yours" which was included in your repo has this feature...

It does, you don't need to built it yourself. But you need to use a proper OS... Revision, r9574 and newer, recommended is r9580.

Well I wrote it in an other thread already, not the cheap DSS or similar are the root cause for that plugin, the very good Octopus Net from DigitalDevice has been the reason for that plugin. DD did sponsor developement and test, all other vendors have done nothing, they and, sorry for that, all their users do just sponge of that work ... 8o

Regards
    fnu

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• fnu

I did not know that DigitalDevices offers SATIP boxes :-(....I have just read their product page...really impressing "mixed" tuners are possible...

I also own a DD cine S2 dual tuner card...the best card I ever bought ! ...sad now I already have spend money for the gssbox :(

Thanks for the hint of Os... version, I´ll try my best to test what´´s possible with "network mode" etc.

kind regards
    arel

• Hello,

just one other comment here (might help someone with limited knowledge like me ...) Setting up a headless vdr with only a DSI-400 as receiver was working, but showing some weird behaviour with regards to sometimes missing EPG data. Only after I have configured the "dummydevice" plugin, EPG is working reliably. Up so far I had only built headless vdr setups with DVB cards which worked without the dummydevice plugin. But as my new vdr instance (running in a libvirt VM) now does not have any local dvb cards any more, it seems that dummydevice is needed.

Cheers,
    Michael

• Only after I have configured the "dummydevice" plugin,

Hmm, I had also the impression, the EIT scan could be somewhat more reliable, it's not that it doesn't work. Thanks for the hint with dummydevice, I'll try it and maybe confirm that.

Regards
    fnu

• I seem to have no problem with the EPG, but I will also put the dummydevice

Regards from Barcelona

• Hello,

just one other thing that I am currently playing with and which might be helpful for somebody else: Even though the vdr with satip plugin is working stable for me, I am able to lockup the DSI400 in rare cases when I do use two vdr instances (one with -d3 to get three tuners and the other one with -d1 to only get one tuner) and one of the vdr instances crashes. The behaviour I do see is that the DSI400 is returning 404-Errors (which are not correctly handled in the satip plugin and make vdr crash). What I have to do in the error case, is to reboot the DSI400 (web interface is still working in that situation). To be able to automate this task, I have written a small script to do the reboot. I am now using the script in my runvdr when vdr is crashing in a short period very often.

I thought that someone might be interested in the script too and will share here:

Cheers,
    Michael

• Hello

Really? I don't see why they would make the VDR to crash - the plugin should just try to retune the channel after 5 seconds. I'd like to see syslog entries during the malfunction.

I was seeing that sessionM was undefined in case of 404 errors and thus the following code (from tuner.c, line 245 in vers 0.3.2)

Code
    if (nextServerM && nextServerM->Quirk(cSatipServer::eSatipQuirkSessionId) && startswith(*sessionM, "0"))

crashes vdr, as the startswith function tries to access memory through an undefined pointer. But I have to admit that I have to reproduce this with version 0.3.2 (I definitely was seeing the crash with 0.3.1).

But: I really would prefer to have vdr exiting if we do get repeatedly 404 errors. Going in an indefinite retune loop would not help in this (very rare and probably not for a lot of people relevant) case. If vdr ends (preferrable with an error state), I can do the reboot of the DSI400 in the runvdr script and restart vdr and things will start working again.

And again: For me this is a rare case and needs usage of the DSI400 with multiple vdr instances and some hard crashes. It is not easy to reproduce. I will see if I can catch one of the crashes to further investigate.

Cheers,
    Michael

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!