ATSC EPG not working

• Hi,

I am a new VDR user. I am running VDR 1.7 on Debian (testing branch). I live in the U.S. and am using an HDHomeRun device for over-the-air ATSC recording. Everything seems to be working beautifully, except no guide data is showing up.

What might be the problem?

Thank you

• There is a plugin for ATSC channels, maybe this can help: http://www.fepg.org/atscepg/

- Client1: Thermaltake DH 102 mit 7" TouchTFT * Debian Stretch/vdr-2.4.0/graphtft/MainMenuHooks-Patch * Zotac H55-ITX WiFi * Core i3 540 * 4GB RAM ** Zotac GT630 * 1 TB System HDD * 4 GB RAM * Harmony 900 * satip-Plugin

- Client2: Alfawise H96 Pro Plus * KODI
    - Server: Intel Pentium G3220 * DH87RL * 16GB RAM * 4x4TB 3.5" WD RED + 1x500GB 2.5" * satip-Plugin
    - SAT>IP: Inverto iLNB

• Thanks.

I had already seen that plugin, but the latest version was released in 2009 and I did not know if it would still work.
    I also did not know if VDR could read ATSC EPG data without a plugin. None of the documentation I found mentioned it.

• I dont know much about ATSC and VDR 1.7 is also not the most recent version. ;) So the plugin should work with 1.7, but probably not with VDR 2.0.4 (stable) or VDR 2.1.2 (developer version).

- Client1: Thermaltake DH 102 mit 7" TouchTFT * Debian Stretch/vdr-2.4.0/graphtft/MainMenuHooks-Patch * Zotac H55-ITX WiFi * Core i3 540 * 4GB RAM ** Zotac GT630 * 1 TB System HDD * 4 GB RAM * Harmony 900 * satip-Plugin

- Client2: Alfawise H96 Pro Plus * KODI
    - Server: Intel Pentium G3220 * DH87RL * 16GB RAM * 4x4TB 3.5" WD RED + 1x500GB 2.5" * satip-Plugin
    - SAT>IP: Inverto iLNB

• 1.7.28 is the version in the repository for Debian testing. I'm not very experienced with compiling my own packages.

I was able to download the atscepg plugin and after some fiddling got it to compile.

I now have a file atscepg.o but I don't know how to install the plugin. Do I just place the file somewhere or do I need to edit a conf file somewhere as well?

• Can anyone help me with this?

I've tried placing the file in the plugins directory, but VDR doesn't seem to see it.

One other issue is keeping me from switching entirely to VDR from MythTV:
    VDR shuts down by itself if I leave it running. I have opened vdr-sxfe a couple times and found a message on the screen similar to this: "VDR will shut down in 1:20". The time value varies, but why is this happeneing?

Thanks

• The time value varies, but why is this happeneing?

It's a countdown starting 5min before VDR will shutdown itself as defined in setup. You see time decreasing from 5:00 in 10sek steps.

AFAIR the default setting is 120min without any user interaction, it'll shutdown by itself as defined. I'm not familiar with the english OSD, but I guess you find the item under "Setup / Miscellaneous / Min. user inactivity" ... or so ...

But I can't help with your EPG from ATSC Problem, no experience here with it in Europe ... sorry.

Merry christmas.

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Would VDR still shut down if a recording was scheduled to happen?

No, this function is pretty smart.

It only shuts the VDR down if it is running and there is no user interaction for the defined time. User interaction means, key press due remote control or thru CLI "svdrp", which does triggers the same functions.

VDR does realize if the VDR has been started automatically by a schedule (e.g. acpiwakeup) or manually by pressing power button, because user just wanted to watch TV or any recording. In case it has been started automatically by a schedule, it'll shutdown immediately after finishing that recording action. Otherwise the defined time of inactivity starts always new after each key press on the remote control, also in case VDR has been woken up automatically by a schedule and there is sometime a key press due remote control. Vice versa it's no problem if VDR came up by user action and there is a schedule starting in between. It'll not shutdown until the end of recording action nor it'll shutdown by remote control. For sure you could force the shutdown by pressing power twice, it'll ask you on screen, but this will destroy your recording. Same if you trigger "reboot" or "shutdown" from command line, these are system commands and will stop each service incl. VDR service ...

If you want to disable it, define this time to "0".

There is a wiki available for VDR, parts has been translated to english language, I'm not sure how much and how actual they are. This is the URL to the manual: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/VDR_User%27s_Manual

===

Regarding your ATSC EPG issue, I could guide you possibly to a point where you have the plugin run. But I do need some information, what kind of Debian installation do you have? Squeeze, Wheezy or Sid, whereas the easiest base right now would IMHO be Wheezy. The official Debian maintainer Tobias Grimm for these VDR packages does also provide a own repository with more actual VDR packages, VDR 2.0.3, for Wheezy:

Code
    deb http://e-tobi.net/vdr-experimental wheezy vdr-multipatch base addons
    deb-src http://e-tobi.net/vdr-experimental wheezy vdr-multipatch base addons

You need to have the package "vdr-dev" installed, so you could build a Debain package locally, using source for that plugin from yaVDR repository:

Alternatively you go directly to Ubuntu LTS 12.04 an do use the stable repository from yaVDR or install yaVDR from ISO, "vdr-plugin-atscepg" is ready to install in the PPA, but honestly due to it's nature the team cannot test it here in Europe ...

Regards
    fnu

PS:: It might be necessary to change this thread's topic to include "ATSC EPG ..." in the subject ...

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Thanks again.

I'm running Debian wheezy. I'd strongly prefer to remain with only the wheezy repositories if possible.

I'm hoping to get the plugin working. I feel like I'm missing some step.

• I'm running Debian wheezy. I'd strongly prefer to remain with only the wheezy repositories if possible.

I would stronly suggest to switch to the above mentioned repository:

• The debian packages are maintained by Tobias Grimm and his co-workers, the mentioned repository is therefore from the official Debain maintainer.
    • VDR 1.7.28 is a development version, official stable versions are VDR 1.6 and it's follow on VDR 2.0. There has been no VDR 1.8, it became directly 2.0 due to HD capabilities.
    • There has been a bigger change in the plugin framework in developer VDR 1.7.33. So it might be possible, that backporting a plugin optimized for stable VDR 2.0 to developer 1.7.28 does need additional work ...

Regards
    fnu

• I will look into that.

Honestly I was hoping this would be a lot simpler than it has been. I've been running Mythbuntu and feel it is too big/slow/buggy/complex for my needs. I was hoping to just install a few packages in wheezy and be done, but I've already had to compile the dvb driver for my device (Silicon dust HDHomeRun) and fiddle around with far too many things for my liking just to get basic TV recording working. It's not that I'm not technical. Far from it. But I only have limited time available and TV recording is something that I don't want to spend a great deal of time on. Sorry, I didn't mean to rant.

One more thing: Is there a way to automatically run a command against a recording when it is complete? I don't actually use the VDR interface for watching anything. I do all my viewing on a raspberry pi running raspbmc and it tends to choke on HD recordings unless I convert them to h264 first using HandbrakeCLI.

• One more thing: Is there a way to automatically run a command against a recording when it is complete?

Of course, you simply have to read the INSTALL file (http://projects.vdr-developer.…vdr.git/tree/INSTALL#n246) and the README.Debian for the debian specifics for the vdr package (documentation for your vdr version should have been copied to /usr/share/doc/vdr/):

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von seahawk1986 ()

• Thanks seahawk1986. I see the details on recording hooks in the README.Debian file now.

I actually had skimmed over that file much earlier when I was fighting to get VDR working but it lacked most of the information I needed, so I forgot about it.

My biggest source of frustration was not having access to the VDR interface until I did the following (If this sounds like a complaint against VDR, it is not. It's just a list
    of the pain points I encountered while trying to get it working.):

Figure out how to get my network tuner to show up as a dvb device. *
    Figure out that vdr wouldn't run until I had a valid channels.conf.
    Figure out how to generate one, since every tool I tried required an initial file, but nothing mentioned where to find the initial file.**
    Figure out that my network tuner requires xinelibout plugin and vdr-sxfe to see the interface.
    Figure out that the interface (once I got it running) would not respond to any input from my keyboard until I set up a remote.conf with keyboard commands I found on the internet.***
    :wand

*This was a real pain. Debian doesn't include the dvb headers in the kernel headers package.

** Eventually I used w_scan since it doesn't need an initial file, and only afterward did I
    discover initial files are stored in another debian package: dvb-apps,
    even though the tools that require them are in dvb-utils and there is no
    dependency between the packages.

*** I still haven't found a comprehensive list of keyboard commands anywhere.

• *** I still haven't found a comprehensive list of keyboard commands anywhere.

The vdr will ask the user to learn all keys if started without a remote.conf. However without an output plugin which immediately shows an output as soon as the vdr is started this function is quite hard to use...

In Order to do it manually you need to know the vdr keys (defined here: http://projects.vdr-developer.…t/vdr.git/tree/keys.h#n16 - the name in the remote.conf is used without the leading "k") and the X key symbol names, you will find for example here: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org…yms_Recognised_by_Xmodmap

So e.g. mapping Return/Enter to Ok ("kOk" in vdr's key definition):

Code
    #<input name>.<vdr_key> <key name>
    XKeySym.Ok Return

So for example to get this mapping:
    [Blockierte Grafik: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/960809/yaVDR-Keyboard.png]
    the remote.conf looks like this:
    https://github.com/yavdr/yavdr…r/remote.conf/50_keys#L47

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Honestly I was hoping this would be a lot simpler than it has been.

If it would be simple, there wouldn't be space for a internet portal like this one ... 8o

I know you will stick on Debian and I really appreciate their 20 years of brilliant work for the Linux community, I'm Debian user since the 1990s. Unfortunately there is no ready to rumble VDR ISO based on Wheezy out there. So maybe it might be a good idea to use a ready to use ISO, just to get a feeling what you need, learn how it works and get something like a success due to it.

Install yaVDR 0.5a from ISO, it's based on Ubuntu LTS 12.04, not far away from Wheezy, so you'll feel at home, at least in 98% of the system ...

Regards
    fnu

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Thanks. I finally got a successful timed recording today. :)

I had one set for yesterday that failed. It looks like the dvb driver failed somehow and vdr could no longer communicate with my tuner. I reset the machine and today's recording worked fine.

I think I will give up on the EPG for now. It's not really a big deal for what I need anyway.

My needs are pretty simple - record the occasional show at a fixed time. That's it. No live TV, no playback, no on screen display, no remote control. Just simple recording.

• M51

Great to hear, have fun.

But VDR can be much more than a simple recording service for manual scheduled recordings. A day one feature is to cut the recordings, e.g. get rid of the additional start and end times of a recording and advertising in between, you need video output/frontend here. "vdr-plugin-markad" is able to set crop marks automatically to the right beginning and ending of the broadcasting and ad-breaks in between. vdr-plugin-epgsearch can hunt for broadcastings you want have just due simple keywords. Yes, indeed you need to have epg for the latter ...

You could even grab epg information from external, e.g. XML format, and put it into VDRs epg database with vdr-plugin-xmltv2vdr. vdr-plugin-live or vdradmin-am does give you a handy webinterface to manage your schedules, search timers and other things ... ^^

If you want to give the "vdr-plugin-atscepg" another chance, you may try this with root rights on your system:

Code
    #/> cd /usr/src#/> mkdir -p vdr/plugins/atscepg#/> cd vdr/plugins/atscepg#/> apt-get install vdr-dev build-essential debhelper devscripts cdbs gettext dpatch#/> dget -xu https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+archive/stable-vdr/+files/vdr-plugin-atscepg_0.3.0+hg20100616-22yavdr6~lucid.dsc#/> rm *lucid*#/> cd vdr-plugin-atscepg-0.3.0+hg20100616#/> dpkg-buildpackage -tc -us -uc#/> cd ..#/> dpkg -i vdr-plugin-atscepg_0.3.0+hg20100616-22yavdr6*.deb

This version has been proven built against VDR 1.7.2x, don't forget to restart VDR service or the system at all.

Regards
    fnu

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!