softhddevice + nouveau vdpau?

• Is anyone using softhddevice vdpau with the nouveau driver? According to http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration my card (vp4.2) has full support. If this setup works, I want to try it since Nvidia is terrible about keeping their drivers up-to-date with even semi-recent stable kernels. I'm getting tired of having to decompress and apply patches to Nvidia's driver so if nouveau vdpau works then I'm willing to give it a try.

Any information on this is greatly appreciated.

• I'm getting tired of having to decompress and apply patches to Nvidia's driver so if nouveau vdpau works then I'm willing to give it a try.

I don't understand why you have to do this? What benefit do you get from this semi stable kernels?

I believe the most of us here prefer to use a not so recent kernel and have an easy installation with the Nvidia drivers.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• I didn't say semi-stable kernels, I said semi-recent stable kernels. In other words, stable kernels that have been released semi-recently -- say in the last few months. Why someone would want to use a newer kernel as opposed to an old one is obvious I would think. Newer kernels may contain fixes and/or regressions of patches that were merged that actually broke something. For more info you should read the kernel changelogs. I'd really bad to assume nobody has a need to use a `newer` kernel. What most people do doesn't really matter if it doesn't apply to "you", right? Maybe a user has a kernel issue. Maybe they just want to test something new. Maybe it's some other reason. Regardless, I don't think anyone needs an excuse to try/do something new or not what "most of us prefer".

Btw, I don't agree that most people opt for older kernels. From what I read on various linux forums, including Nvidia's own linux support forum, the truth seems to be quite the opposite.

• jinx

No, this is all your personal single opinion. The majority of users want to have a stable running system, whatever the kernel version is underneath, VDR is afaik still developed w/ kernel version 2.6.3x.

There are are lot of people in the field, like you, doing "interestings" things, like forcing updates for the update will. So, it's your pitch if the rest of the world does not speed up with "your needs", what ever they are. The situation is as they is, the Nvidia closed source drivers are proven and stable with all features, perfect picture quality. Contrary to the other vendors, Nvidia does deliver a driver package to use all features of Nvidia graphics card what the user has paid for.

If Nvidia is terrible for you, I would strongly suggest, to sell it to any user who's aware of that value and switch to either VA-/VPP-API for Intel SNB, IVB or HSW GPUs or to the open source VDPAU support for AMD graphics.

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Hey Jinx

... and NVIDIA has allready released his Driver in their FTP space for Kernel 3.10. It works for me perfectly. So what else do you want?

(I'm not at home the next days. So I can not give you the URL or Version number. But you will find it)

Greets
    msv

• Ubuntu does deliver 319.32 & 319.60 within development branch Saucy Salamander, based on kernel 3.11.0 ....

• And I can understand that there are people who do not want to use closed source drivers ....

Me too, but not with that reasoning from up above. It's like buying a car with known specs and than to argue with the vendor about them.

And how stupid is it to thieve firmware files from vendors binary packages to make the drivers usable, same idiocy as with the AMD VDPAU solution ... wow, that's really open source ... :rolleyes:

Regards
    fnu

• No, this is all your personal single opinion. The majority of users want to have a stable running system, whatever the kernel version is underneath, VDR is afaik still developed w/ kernel version 2.6.3x.

Of course most users want a stable system. What does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to claim that stable kernel releases aren't stable? Are you trying to claim that newer kernels don't contain fixes and regressions of merges that turned out to be bad? And what exactly do you think is my single opinion?

Zitat

There are are lot of people in the field, like you, doing "interestings" things, like forcing updates for the update will. So, it's your pitch if the rest of the world does not speed up with "your needs", what ever they are.

Your comment is pointless. What do you think, that I speed ahead of the entire world? That's ridiculous. Forcing updates for the update will? Who said anything about that? You have no clue what I do or what my needs are and why I use kernel X on one box and kernel Y on another. You're just making a very stupid assumption about it. My advice to you is it only makes you look foolish to make claims about someone when the truth is you have no idea what you're talking about in regards to that person.

Zitat

The situation is as they is, the Nvidia closed source drivers are proven and stable with all features, perfect picture quality. Contrary to the other vendors, Nvidia does deliver a driver package to use all features of Nvidia graphics card what the user has paid for. If Nvidia is terrible for you, I would strongly suggest, to sell it to any user who's aware of that value and switch to either VA-/VPP-API for Intel SNB, IVB or HSW GPUs or to the open source VDPAU support for AMD graphics.

Who said anything about Nvidia driver stability, or other vendors? Nobody. Did I say anything remote close to Nvidia drivers being `terrible` for me? No. Did I ask for a list of alternatives to Nvidia vdpau? No. I don't know why but you're acting like an Nvidia driver dev who got offended I asked about nouveau.

And btw, you're wrong when you claim Nvidia drivers are fully stable and have perfect picture quality. Don't take my word for it, go to Nvidia's own support forums and read all the posts about problems and bugs yourself. Not even the Nvidia devs, who actively post on the support forums, pretend like their drivers are perfect.

Hey Jinx

... and NVIDIA has allready released his Driver in their FTP space for Kernel 3.10. It works for me perfectly. So what else do you want?

Thanks for your reply msv. However, I didn't ask anything about Nvidia drivers or Kernel 3.10.x. My question was regarding using the nouveau driver vdpau with softhddevice.

Ubuntu does deliver 319.32 & 319.60 within development branch Saucy Salamander, based on kernel 3.11.0 ....

I don't use Ubuntu and my question has nothing to do with the Nvidia driver anyways so please stop going on about the Nvidia driver in my thread.

• Anyway to answer his question:
    Yes its possible to use softhddevice with nouveau vdpau !
    And I can understand that there are people who do not want to use closed source drivers ....

THANK YOU Helau! You're the first person to actually answer the question I asked, and you didn't try criticizing me for asking. Do you happen to have further information on how to actually do it?

Thanks again.

• Me too, but not with that reasoning from up above. It's like buying a car with known specs and than to argue with the vendor about them.

And how stupid is it to thieve firmware files from vendors binary packages to make the drivers usable, same idiocy as with the AMD VDPAU solution ... wow, that's really open source ... :rolleyes:

Regards
    fnu

What the hell are you talking about? How exactly is any of this "like buying a car with known specs and than to argue with the vendor about them"? That's absolute nonsense. Further, nobody needs to justify their reasoning to you for wanting to do anything. Nobody needs your approval for for anything. This thread IS NOT about Nvidia drivers, but you keep going on and on as if it were. Additionally, you're taking more offense to my question that Nvidias own devs do when someone on their own support forum asks about nouveau! How stupid is that?!

If you can't stay on topic then I ask that you PLEASE don't pollute this thread with comments that have nothing to do with the question being asked. If you want to rant about people, their reasoning, their choice of kernel to use, their want to try something different, or anything else, please start a new thread and do it there. As a reminder of what the topic is, and the only question I asked: "Is anyone using softhddevice vdpau with the nouveau driver? ... Any information on this is greatly appreciated. "

• THANK YOU Helau! You're the first person to actually answer the question I asked, and you didn't try criticizing me for asking. Do you happen to have further information on how to actually do it?

Thanks again.

Most important thing is to build mesa with nouveau support.
    But anyway nouveau has problems with deinterlacing, watching channels using 1080i is not really smooth :(

• Most important thing is to build mesa with nouveau support.
    But anyway nouveau has problems with deinterlacing, watching channels using 1080i is not really smooth :(

Hopefully that's something they'll address sooner rather than later. But, it does put my plans on hold since smooth 1080i is a requirement, preferably using the temporal-spatial deinterlacer.

• I didn't say semi-stable kernels, I said semi-recent stable kernels. In other words, stable kernels that have been released semi-recently -- say in the last few months. Why someone would want to use a newer kernel as opposed to an old one is obvious I would think. Newer kernels may contain fixes and/or regressions of patches that were merged that actually broke something.

Fixes are backported by the distributors of most Linux distributions. Maybe you should give their Changelog a chance.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• Zitat

I think this is bearable. In former times cards had ROMS on it containing all that firmware stuff. Nowadays they would need to be much bigger and firmware wouldn't be as simple to upgrade. The firmware is uploaded to the card while it is initialzed and the driver is no stub handing over all functionalty to the firmware. The fimrware from amd is even available from fdo and is afaik freely distributable.

The other way around If we would argue about firmware not placed on the hardware itself: It's the same problem for many dvb cards, wlan cards, powerful nics and so on....

Back to topic:

As fas as i know video acceleration should work but deinterlacers are also problematic with nouveau. I'm no exact expert on this but I think the deinterlacers on nvidia hardware are shader programs too and not available.

If you decide to give nouveau a try please report back, I would be interested in your results.

- HTPC mit zerbasteltem Yavdr 0.6 , Origen ae X15e, MCE Remote, Asus P5N7A-VM, 1x Digibit R1, Kodi und vdr an Pana 46PZ85E
    - Diverse HTPCs im Umfeld bei Familie und Freundenm die sich vor mir fürchten, mit allen möglichen gruseligen Konfigurationen.
    Auch gern Debian, aber wehe jemand kommt mir mit Suse.

• Fixes are backported by the distributors of most Linux distributions. Maybe you should give their Changelog a chance.

Aside of the fact this thread isn't about kernels, that's fine IF you use a distro kernel and IF the fixes you need have been backported already and IF there isn't some other problem/issue with the older kernel you're trying to use. You're the first person I've ever seen make the suggestion you did btw. I suppose if you're dealing with embedded linux it makes more sense.

Btw, I don't pay attention to distro kernel changelogs because I don't use pre-compiled distro kernels. I suppose now I can expect posts from people going on and on and on about how distro kernels are fine for most people, questioning why anyone would have any need or want to patch a kernel, why anyone would need or want to compile their own kernel, and blah blah blah blah blah. ;)

• As far as I have understood so far, a functionality like deinterlacing is something, which comes as a precompiled binary adapted to the graphics shader unit hardware. Having been firmware formerly it is now buried in driver code blobs. So it is not a chip turnkey functionality, it is a downloadable program.
    So if you do not have it, the only alternative seems to be to shift that task from the GPU to the CPU, which my be too difficult at 1080i.

So if Noveau does not support interlacing, how should that functionality magically appear?
    I once tried to find something on the net, looking for ready OpenGL/SL in terms of adaptive or motion-compensated but had no success.

Intel seems to be a bit of an exception, they seem to have some support in there GPUs, whereas nVidia and AMD have to use shaders to accomplish it.
    So i doubt you would be getting satisfactory results with anything else than the proprietary drivers.

Asus M3N78-VM/Athlon II X2 250, Mystique Satix S2 V2, Atric IR, yaVDR 0.5 (prod)

• I inquired about this with some nouveau devs and the response was that no post-processing is support at this time. Support is possible but will only be implemented if one of the devs has a need for it, or if a user adds support and submits patches. So, the goal isn't to create the most robust driver for users, it's to create a driver that serves the devs needs only. That's disappointing to hear but pretty common in the linux world so not surprising either. Ironically, I got the same response when I asked about nouveau supporting vdpau a long time ago so I guess that can serve as a glimmer of hope that at some point it will still happen. But, it's not a great idea to hold your breath waiting.

• Only Open Source driver related:
    So general state of development is that with all major chip vendors, hardware accelarated video decoding becomes available in the past few months (vdpau with AMD hardware, vdpau with nouveau, something else with intel) - all of them lack any further postprocessing - most importantly for us : Deinterlacing in a good quality. AMD and NVidia might not want to publish and so does Intel not publish how to use the MFX. If that last step is taken we can get rid of the closed source drivers. Reasoning for open source drivers would be for me kms-Support and not "compiling" in any way.
    What fnu tried to say i believe: You get best value for the money w/ nvidias closed source driver and related hardware at the moment. The rest is not at the same level yet. If you want substandard deinterlacing, your best choice would be intels latest CPU/GPU combination with latest development.

To respond to your last post: Best would be to convince these DEVs to try VDR or any TV solution and make sure they are able to receive a couple of interesting interlaced HD and SD TV stations, they want to watch regulary ;). Backdraw could be, they waste their time watching TV instead of developing ;) :P .

VDR User: 87 - LaScala LC14B - LG/Phillipps 6,4" VGA Display | Asrock H61/U3S3 | G630T | 1x 16GB Mobi Mtron 3035 1x WD 750GB 2,5" |1x L4m DVB-S2 Version 5.4

• To respond to your last post: Best would be to convince these DEVs to try VDR or any TV solution and make sure they are able to receive a couple of interesting interlaced HD and SD TV stations, they want to watch regulary ;). Backdraw could be, they waste their time watching TV instead of developing ;) :P .

One of the devs I spoke with who helped add vdpau support already does dvb-s. But, he said "the interlace looks fine for me so I don't need to bother with deinterlacing". None of the 3 devs I spoke with showed any sign of interest in pursuing it. Collective they basically said they didn't care but I can feel free to add support myself and submit patches to them. Typical case of `linux-not-my-problem` :wand

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!