[SOLVED] Hi to all - Here I am and a question about Ubuntu upgrade in Yavdr 0.3

• First of all I do introduce myself. I'm writing from Vicenza, Italy and I'm using an Acer Revo (32 bit, so I can't use the newest YaVdr...) with YaVdr 0.3 that's working quite well, with Sk* Italia also in Hd with a Technisat Usb Hd, a Scr dish and a Lg 42".
    The only problem I have is with the remote that is not working. I think is not a problem with Vdr or Xbmc, but with the system itself, that hangs when I try to use the remote. So I think it maybe the dvb driver: I had to recompile new v4l because driver for my Technisat was build in kernel after 2.26.38 or 39 (I don't remember) and YaVdr 0.3 has 2.26.32.
    Can I upgrade only the system, from Ubuntu 10.04 to the first one that has kernel 2.26.39? Some months ago I tried installing only the new kernel but... It was a disaster and I don't want to damage the good system that is now working.

Many thanks
    Stefano
    Vicenza, Italy

Ps: the system does see ir receiver in Technisat receiver. But if I try to use it (also with Vdr shut down) it hangs.

• Acer Revo

What kind of Acer Revo do you use? A Revo 3600/3610 and later models should be fine runnung 64-Bit operating systems.

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• The first Acer Revo has an Atom N270 which has no 64 bit support.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• The first Acer Revo has an Atom N270 which has no 64 bit support.

I don't know now because I'm not at home; I'll search this night. But Acer service - with the serial number of the Pc (Acer Revo 3600) - wrote me this morning it hasn't 64 bit support. I fear it's an Atom N270, but maybe it's a 330 that has basic support for 64 and they want to be precise...
    I'll let you know

Stefano
    Vicenza, Italy

Ps: If I do remember right, sending the mail to Acer with a form, it told me it was bought in 2008, but I don't know because I had it last year from the bay...

• Can I upgrade only the system, from Ubuntu 10.04 to the first one that has kernel 2.26.39?

I didn't got it. Why do you want to upgrade to a system with kernel version 2.6.38+?

Is it inconvenient to use "v4l-dvb-dkms" or you want to prevent the usage of a driver package like that at all and only use nativ kernel modules?

Regards
    fnu

HowTo: APT pinning

• I didn't got it. Why do you want to upgrade to a system with kernel version 2.6.38+?

Is it inconvenient to use "v4l-dvb-dkms" or you want to prevent the usage of a driver package like that at all and only use nativ kernel modules?

Thanks for the answers.
    I need to upgrade because the v4l drivers for my Technisat do work as dvb drivers, but they didn't for remote. Reading your answers, I realize one thing: I compiled v4l drivers from scratch, so now I think this isn't much OK for a "debian" based system. Maybe something went wrong in compiling & installing. Do you think that if I install deb package it will overwrite the installed one? Or will I make it worse?
    Meanwhile, I discovered that my Acer Revo maybe have an Atom 230 Cpu, so it will work with 64bit YaVdr 0.4... As I am a newbie in Dvbs (but not in Linux...) I love YaVdr that semplifies a lot of things...

Thanks
    Stefano
    Vicenza, Italy

• Do you think that if I install deb package it will overwrite the installed one? Or will I make it worse?

You will have to uninstall your self-compiled modules properly, simply overwriting them with files from the v4l-dvb-dkms will most likely make it worse...

Also because of the changed remote configuration in yaVDR 0.4 and up you will most likely benefit if your remote receiver is working either as a rc-core or HID-device

• You will have to uninstall your self-compiled modules properly, simply overwriting them with files from the v4l-dvb-dkms will most likely make it worse...

"Make uninstall" in the right dir where I did "make install", right?

Will I find the v4l-dvb-dkms in reps?

Thanks
    Stefano
    Vicenza, Italy

• "Make uninstall" in the right dir where I did "make install", right?

AFAIK that's the way to go...

Will I find the v4l-dvb-dkms in reps?

Yes, this package is in stable-vdr for lucid ( https://launchpad.net/~yavdr/+…59/+listing-archive-extra ) and should be easy installable for example via a Shell/Terminal:

Code
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install v4l-dvb-dkms

• Fantastic! This night I'll try (but I risk on a divorce...).
    I have to say that since I begun using YaVdr, I returned to use terminal and... thats not bad! But I put on gnome-terminal, more performing than the "old" xterm...

Many thanks, I'll let you know how it went out

Stefano
    Vicenza, Italy

• You can check for 64 Bit compatibility with 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'. You will find your Processor model and check it. If you can see the flag 'lm' it should be 64 Bit capable.

In this case you could give installing yaVDR 0.4 on a second partition a try.

• Well, it does work, finally... The problem was with v4l drivers I compiled instead of install them via apt-get. But it was a struggle indeed. After replacing drivers, the system didn't hang using the remote. First step, because the mapping wasn't working. Change a lircd.conf, change a remote.conf, nothing at all. Suddenly it began working and Vdr started the learning process, though the mapping (verified with irw...) was working. I think that Vdr has to map the remote's codes to his own commands.
    Then I realized that... the remote shipped with my Technisat Usb Hd was trash, because it only has keys for a "tv set" not for a video recorder.
    So now I'll try with another remote I have (One for All, that should be universal...).
    Anyone know what kind of standard Technisat uses?

Thanks again for help you all gave to me
    Stefano
    Vicenza, Italy

Ps:

Zitat

You can check for 64 Bit compatibility with 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'. You
    will find your Processor model and check it. If you can see the flag
    'lm' it should be 64 Bit capable.

Yes, thanks, I found that it has Atom 230 cpu that is 64 bit capable.

• Anyone know what kind of standard Technisat uses?

According to http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/IRMP#Einleitung it should use the RECS80EXT protocol - probably there are some profiles predefined on your remote which fit the requirements to be recognized....

Can you post the output of this command (there have been some changes within newer drivers - may be it's run via ir-core/rc-core with the new drivers):

Code
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!