TV as VDR client

• Hi,

I am about to buy a new LED HD TV and I am wondering if it is possible to use a DLNA enabled TVs as streaming client for a central VDR server to watch live TV. The ideal setup would be: turn on TV -> watch live-tv immediatly. Idealy, it would be as easy as using the internal TV tuner. Every solution I have found so far uses a dedicated PC as streaming client.

Sorry if I missed another dedicated thread - if so, please direct me in the right direction.

Thanks...

• If you want to use the internal tuner and watch tv immediately, just connect yout antenna or satellite cable to the tuner and turn the TV on. ;)

- Client1: Thermaltake DH 102 mit 7" TouchTFT * Debian Stretch/vdr-2.4.0/graphtft/MainMenuHooks-Patch * Zotac H55-ITX WiFi * Core i3 540 * 4GB RAM ** Zotac GT630 * 1 TB System HDD * 4 GB RAM * Harmony 900 * satip-Plugin

- Client2: Alfawise H96 Pro Plus * KODI
    - Server: Intel Pentium G3220 * DH87RL * 16GB RAM * 4x4TB 3.5" WD RED + 1x500GB 2.5" * satip-Plugin
    - SAT>IP: Inverto iLNB

• I am about to buy a new LED HD TV and I am wondering if it is possible to use a DLNA enabled TVs as streaming client for a central VDR server to watch live TV.

That what you seek is the vdr-plugin-upnp. What kind of a VDR distribution you installed?

Albert

• I am still experimenting to get the right system-setup. Currently I am working with ubuntu (11.10) and the newest vdr available in the repositories. Hoever, I am open for any other combination of linux/vdr versions as I will have a dedicated headless vdr server.

With the UPnP plugin installed, does the TV directly control the vdr-server (i.e. switch channels start server-side recording, play recordings, timers, epg, ... vie TV remote = the usual PVR functionalities)?

• Hi,
    I first bought the TV and I am now trying to do the same... I have an LG 42LM660s "SmartTV" with an internet browser and DLNA client on board. So far I have a MediaTomb server running with streamdev URL entries for each channel I want to view and this works with some limitations (speed, comfort etc. ) quite ok. Next level would be to use the ffnetdev plugin that always streams the actual channel to the TV and switch the channels somehow on the TV.
    I have also downloaded the SDK and some examples. Unfortunately I am no web app developer and so I am almost lost when I try to modify one example application to suit my needs. But from what I have seen it is possible to write an application that runs on the TV that displays the ffnetdev stream, implements the OSD into a graphical overlay and captures the remote buttons to switch the channels or edit timers etc. But this is still a dream...

Cheers Darkstar.

Hardware: Seagate Dockstar@1500MHz, GSS Box DSI 400 SAT>IP Server, VDR 2.1.6 mit Streamdev-Server
    Videoausgabe: RaspberryPi mit MLD-4.0.1-RPi an LG 42LM660

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!