Unable to Install YaVDR 0.3a

• Hi,

I bought acer aspire revo 3700 and I just got it today.
    I decided to install in it yavdr... this machine comes without a cdrom drive.
    I attached external cddrive but when I tried to install I got the error "Cannot read removable media, or no drivers found".

So I decided to install it from a usb-key.
    I burn the image from ubuntu 10.10 "USB Startup Disk Creator" but after I boot I got the error "vesamenu.c32 is not an COM32R image"
    I searched on google and found I should try to install it from the disk on key but to burn the image using windows.
    so I burned it from windows but then I got the error "Cannot detect CDROM drive" during the installation again.
    I tried to add to the grub the command "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" but then it complains it can't read some files.

please help.

thank you.

• Did you check the md5sum?

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• if the problem is with the cdrom, then why I can't install from a disk on key too? I tries 2 different disk on key just to make sure the problem is not with the disk on key.

when I try to install from the cdrom, the installation claims it does not have driver for the cdrom.
    I install ubuntu 10.04 & ubuntu 10.10 with this cdrom without a problem.

thanks.

• I did more research and I found this thread. it's says to run in the second terminal the command:

Code
    modprobe ide-scsi

the problem is that I get the error:

Code
    FATAL: Module ide_scsi not found.

If someone can guide me where can I download this module and how to load it from a usb key I will really appreciate it.

thanks.

• well, I used another comuter and attached the external drive to it. by using the command

Code
    dmesg

in terminal, I found that the driver I am looking for is ums-cypress. this driver is not found on the yavdr 0.3a installation disk and I can't find a working version for this drive too.
    can someone please give me a link to the kernel packages of yavdr? maybe I can found it there. usually it located in /lib/modules/2.6.version/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/

thanks.

• Zitat

Original von some1
    can someone please give me a link to the kernel packages of yavdr?

Nobody can do this, because yavdr doesn't use an own kernel. It is the standard ubuntu lucid kernel.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• sorry for the multiple posts.

I think I know why I can't load the driver from lucid kernel - it's because lucid have some kernel updates.
    In order to be able to load the right file I need to know what is the version of the kernel that yavdr 0.3a is based on.
    I already know it's from the branch linux-image-2.6.32-24-386 - the question is what's the sub version:
    linux-image-2.6.32-24-386_2.6.32-24.42_i386.deb?
    linux-image-2.6.32-24-386_2.6.32-24.43_i386.deb?
    something else?

thanks again.

• Zitat

Original von some1
    I found that for some people this solution OR this solution helped, but unfortunately not for me.

please help. thanks.

Just a suggestion: the second method will not solve your driver problem, ie. it cannot work with cdrom - so did you try it with a usb-stick? I think it should bypass the "not a com32 file" error you mentioned in your first posting.

Wer alkoholfreies Bier trinkt, wählt auch kompetenzfreie Politiker [frei nach Volker Pispers]

• I am not sure I understand what you mean.
    when I use usb stick I got the error "vesamenu.c32 is not an COM32R image".
    if I use the usb stick after I burn the image using windows software, the installation start but I get the error "no common cdrom detect" again.
    I can't find a ums-cypress.ko file that the yavdr kernel agree to load.

thanks.

• by the way, if I install ubuntu lucid using the desktop installation (and not the alternate), is there any way to make it to completely yavdr 0.3a? I mean. is there other way to install yavdr without using a clean installation?

thanks.

• No, not exactly. You can only install a stock ubuntu and then add additional package repos to get the yaVDR debs of vdr and xbmc.

Another suggestion: did you try loading the module with "modprobe -f"? This removes some of the kernel version checks and tries to force loading the module.

EDIT: Have a look at this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1494280

Gruß
    Holger

HTPC: yaVDR 0.5, M3N78-VM, Athlon II X2 240, 2GB, 2x TT S2-1600, Antec Fusion Remote, Harmony 650, LG 50PK550

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von pandel ()

• Zitat

by the way, if I install ubuntu lucid using the desktop installation (and not the alternate)

Zitat

Unable to Install YaVDR 0.3a

i dont understand you ????!!!!

youre not installing yavdr-0.3a !
    it is not supportet to install the packages to your desktop version !

but i dont want to stop you.
    but please change the threadname to : " Unable to Install vdr"

ok then install your lucid-desktop version
    add the yavdr repos to your sources.list

stable-vdr

apt-get update
    apt-get install vdr

further questions please in "debian und derrivate" section.

if you want to install yavdr use this :
    http://www.yavdr.org/download/

• I DO INSTALL YAVDR!

I burned the yavdr 0.3a image and this whole topic is about the errors I get with this image installation.

the question about the lucid is just because no one have solution for my problem. I didn't try to install lucid with vdr packages yet because It's not the same as install yavdr from the official image.

about the "modprobe -f" suggestion, I don't think it will work because I should use insmod to load this drivers, but I will try it. thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!