Importing XML TV Guide / EPG ?

• Hi all,

I currently use the OTA EPG for my VDR but would like to use an XML based source so that I can have a guide further into the future.
    What is the best way of importing this information into VDR ?
    I see there are many plugins and an old one called xmltv2vdr but that doesn't seem to be maintained any more..

I can easily grab the data from XMLTV, just need to know how I can import it :)

Thanks!

• Hi,

I'm using xmltv2vdr for a couple of years now (only for the local Belgian TV). It works fine.

The freesat epg is being handled by dingo's eepg-plugin. This is one of my favourite VDR plugins.

Greetings,
    Steven

VDRserver : Asrock n3700 + 8 GB ram + HDD Toshiba 3 TB (video) + 2 x 500 Gb (home) + Sandisk SSD 64 GB (OS) + Digital Devices Octopus Cine S2 + DD DVB T/T2-Operating System : Ubuntu Server (headless) 14.04 64 bit mit stable yavdr ppa

VDRclient : Wetek Hub mit Libreelec (8.2 community build von kszaq)

• Well I had a play with this tonight, and ran into some problems :(

I have pulled down the xmltv data and checked the XML - all looks good.
    I have copied my channels.conf into the directory where I've saved the xmltv2vdr script and added the XMLTV names to the end of the channels in channels.conf eg; :news.bbc.co.uk etc..

Next I ran ./xmltv2vdr.pl -x tvguide.xml -c channels.conf (with VDR running)

But after reloading XBMC (I'm using this as a client) it hasn't updated any of the missing information for channels that are present in the XML..
    (XBMC forces a refresh of the EPG each time it is started, so what I'm seeing should represent what is in VDR)

I've tried running xmltv2vdr with 'sudo' but still doesn't make any difference.. have I missed something ? (I'm running VDR 1.7.8)

Thanks.

-Edit, I should probably mention - xmltv2vdr exits after around 15 seconds with no output on the screen.. is this normal or should it display some message?

• Hi Swifty,

This is a small howto for xmltv2vdr I posted (post nr. 5) a while ago (it's in German) :
    By the way, VDR needs to be running when using xmltv2vdr.

xmltv2vdr howto

I suggest using Dingo's eepg-plugin if you need for example full Freesat epg :
    If you're using a Debian based VDR than you can use the deb's of this plugin (packaged by Hepi), this plugin is also included in the ppa of the VDR-Team.

Extended epg thread

Ubuntu ppa VDR Team

Greetings,
    Steven

VDRserver : Asrock n3700 + 8 GB ram + HDD Toshiba 3 TB (video) + 2 x 500 Gb (home) + Sandisk SSD 64 GB (OS) + Digital Devices Octopus Cine S2 + DD DVB T/T2-Operating System : Ubuntu Server (headless) 14.04 64 bit mit stable yavdr ppa

VDRclient : Wetek Hub mit Libreelec (8.2 community build von kszaq)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von steefjeqv ()

• Hi Steven,

Thanks for your post, I translated and ran through it but it's still not working for me :(

I'm going to pull down the eepg package tonight and try that out as it's Freesat channels that I want to get guide information for so hopefully it will do the job :D

• Hi,

Is it possible to download some channel.conf file for Astra and Hotbird that already include the xmltv names ? Matching manually the channel names with the channel names is quite boring ane exhaustive, especially on DCB-S since there are regular dvb frequency and transponder updates.

I found "linowsat", but this is not what I need but iot does not includes all the xmltv names for the most commonly used xmltv grabbers ( from xmltv.orfg, mc2xml, kazzer.org )

Please advise if someone is maintaining such information.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!