Burning DVD with subtitles

• Hiya folks,

My vdr is up and running nicely. Since I live in Finland I've installed the subtitles-plugin (we don't overdub our tv-shows). The subtitles work just fine. Now, I'd like to be able to burn a DVD with a movie I've recorded, complete with subtitles and all. I don't need to be able to switch the subtitles on and off - they can be stuck on top of the movie.

I've fiddled around with utilities like ProjectX and transcode in order to be able to achieve this. Unfortunately I haven't yet succeeded. Could some kind soul try to tell me what to do, almost step by step! What should the transcode command line look like, what format shoud the .vdr-file be transformed into, and so on.

Thx in advance for any reply.

Mike

• Thx, mate, for the quick reply. I did some quick checkups on the burn-plugin, but didn't immediately see how the ProjectX is linked to it. Could you maybe tell me in more detail how to go about it?

Cheerio,

Mike

• Can you tell more to your system?

you must have java jre and projectx on the system (paths see in vdrburn-dvd.sh) and other programms to demux/mux the dvd - see the readme files witch came with the plugin.

If all is installed correct, burn will integrate subtitles automaticly if there in the *.vd stream, there is nothing to do.

• Hiya,

Well, actually I have the ProjectX installed, and working. I'll have a peek into the burn-plugin (install it and try to fiddle around). I'll get back to ya all if it doesn't work out.

thx,
    Mike

• Hiya,

Now I've downloaded burn, and fiddled around with the installation for a while. Verdict? Way too much work. Just compiling the required boost libraries took 60-90 minutes and gave me the final messages

...failed updating 8 targets...
    ...skipped 8 targets...
    ...updated 1265 targets...
    Not all Boost libraries built properly.

So, I'm just looking for a way to do it manually. All this advanced Linux geeking just bores me. I've managed to pick the vdr-file apart into one m2v-, one mp2 and one sup-file (using ProjectX 0.90.4), now I want to reassemble them into a file I can burn to a DVD. The subtitles should be included, and can be hardcoded onto the video stream. I have transcode (1.0.2), and I can use a command line. What should the next step be?

Wonders

Misha

• Hiya,

> Why you dont use the boost package from LordJaxom (the burn author) from here

Because I didn't know it existed before you told me.

And my system is Ubuntu 6.06, vdr is 1.4.0. Transcode is 1.0.2 and ProjectX is 0.90.4. And what I basically want to know is if ProjectX or transcode can convert my audio-video-subtitles-combo of files into one file (mpeg2-format). Both are installed and running, thus independent of my system. But I'll be more than happy to answer any other questions regarding it.

Cheerio,

Misha

• transcode cant extract subtitles (?)

ProjectX:
    load the vdr file
    in "Pre settings" (strg + s) or in the X.ini:

Code
    SubtitlePanel.SubpictureColorModel=YLE
    SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat=SON

SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat_2=SUP
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage1=149
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage2=150
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage3=777

Format SON for Finland TV Stations,
    Format SUP for german TV Stations.
    You can use both also at same time.

As "Action" use "demux"
    Then you become files:
    mpv or m2v = video stream
    mpa or mp2 = audio stream
    sup = german subtitle file
    son = finland subtitle file (not sure, ev other name)

Then i have test this files with gui_for_dvdauthor under windows xp

Under Linux i havent testet yet any more programs.

• Thx mate, that solved it! I already knew how to pick the file apart with ProjectX, but the gui_for_dvdauthor was new for me. Everything works like a charm right now. Thx ever so much, one headache less!

Mike

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!