HVR-4000 and dvb-t

• HI,

I have an HVR 4000 running with VDR. The system is a quite a bit outdated and is pre DVBAPI 5.5 but it does its job quite well. The only problem that I have with it is that in its current state both dvb-s and dvb-t are not usable, because iirc for that I need DVBAPI 5.5 plus vdr >=1.7.32. So my question is: If I update the system with current VDR and kernel will dvb-t be usable? I searched the forum and the only info that I got was that the driver does not support this.

• I'm running a HVR-4000 with DVB-S2 and IR and it's running out of the box, more or less - you have to place the firmware file.
    On my old box I'm running VDR version 1.7.18.

As far as I know VDR cannot switch DVB-S and DVB-T and vice versa on this card while running. VDR has to be stopped, the driver has to be reloaded with the intended function (-S/-T) and then VDR has to be started again. That's because the HVR-4000 is supplying a single frontend only for both tuners.
    MythTV for example is able to switchover "online".

HW VDR: Thermaltake DH102 | Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 | AMD 270u | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD System + 3TB HDD Daten | L4M Cine CT V6 + Flex S2 | Zotac GT630 | Futaba MDM166A | Atric IR-Einschalter Rev. 5 | NEC P553 | SEDU + 96 PIX | Pioneer SC-LX85 | Jamo S606
    SW VDR: Debian Wheezy | Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 | Mate 1.6 | VDR 2.2.0 | nVidia 331.79 | LIRC 0.9.0 | media_build_experimental | Plugins: permashift 1.0.3, softhddevice 0.6.1rc1-git, menuorg 0.5.1, skinnopacity 0.1.3, tvscraper 0.2.0-git, seduatmo 0.0.2-git, mplayer 0.10.2-hg, fritzbox 1.5.3, vdradmin-am 3.6.9, femon 1.7.19, targavfd 0.3.0, span 0.0.7, dvd 0.3.6-cvs, graphtftng 0.4.10-git, extrecmenu 1.2.4-git, epgsearch 1.0.1-git, block 0.1.2-git, cpumon 0.0.6a, ac3mode 0.1, HD-- 1.0.0-hg, u. v. a. ...

• Hi,

Has the driver been updated for the HVR-4000? If there's only one frontend-device it should report its capabilities with the ENUM_DELSYS ioctl. And then a recent vdr can switch the frontend. vdr reports the detected caps to syslog.
    But if there are two frontend-devices (one for S and one for T), then the problems starts...

Lars.

• Lars is correct. Since DVBAPI v5.5 was introduced and version 1.7.32 of VDR, VDR can handle such devices. However the problem is that the kernel module has to be updated also. If the driver is updated than you should have only one frontend.

My machine runs kernel 3.6.2 and I have 2 frontends.

<kein>, could you please tell me what kernel are you using and what is the output of the above command?

Thanks,

• At the moment I don't have access to the machine, I can add the data in the evening.
    Anyway, the machine is running Debian Lenny with stock kernel 2.6.26.

But the same card was running in the beginning in the new machine from my signature with Debian Wheezy and Kernel 3.2, but only DVB-S2.

HW VDR: Thermaltake DH102 | Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 | AMD 270u | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD System + 3TB HDD Daten | L4M Cine CT V6 + Flex S2 | Zotac GT630 | Futaba MDM166A | Atric IR-Einschalter Rev. 5 | NEC P553 | SEDU + 96 PIX | Pioneer SC-LX85 | Jamo S606
    SW VDR: Debian Wheezy | Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 | Mate 1.6 | VDR 2.2.0 | nVidia 331.79 | LIRC 0.9.0 | media_build_experimental | Plugins: permashift 1.0.3, softhddevice 0.6.1rc1-git, menuorg 0.5.1, skinnopacity 0.1.3, tvscraper 0.2.0-git, seduatmo 0.0.2-git, mplayer 0.10.2-hg, fritzbox 1.5.3, vdradmin-am 3.6.9, femon 1.7.19, targavfd 0.3.0, span 0.0.7, dvd 0.3.6-cvs, graphtftng 0.4.10-git, extrecmenu 1.2.4-git, epgsearch 1.0.1-git, block 0.1.2-git, cpumon 0.0.6a, ac3mode 0.1, HD-- 1.0.0-hg, u. v. a. ...

• You need kernel 3.2 or later for DVBAPI 5.5, so it is certain that you have 2 frontends. Mine is 3.6.2 and I have 2 frontends. I was hoping that someone with a more up-to-date kernel could say something.

• Hi,

If you don't have any T-channels in your channels.conf then vdr will never try to access frontend1 and hence you will not get any error.
    The problem exist only if you want to mix S and T or only want to use T.

Workaround for "only T": disable frontend0 either with vdr-parameter "-D1" (so it's only using device 1, number has to be adjusted if more frontends are present) or if you're using dynamite with a proper udev rule.

Lars.

• Problem is that ideally I would like to be able to use both dvb-s and dvb-t and I want to find out if it is worth the trouble updating the machine before actually doing it.

• Maybe you should contact the v4l/dvb-mailinglist. Every now and then somebody is asking for an update of the driver but nothing happens.
    Manu Abraham was the initiator of the ENUM_DELSYS stuff but didn't post patches for all drivers. He publishes patches whenever he likes to...

Good Luck!

Lars.

• Hello, what's current status of support of this card? I plan to use it as dual DVB-T card, but if it's possible, I would use it as DVB-S2 + DVB-T tuner. Because it's dual tuner, is it possible to use one tuner as DVB-S2 and the second one as DVB-T? If not, does it card works as dual DVB-T tuner?

• Unfortunately, I don't have an HVR 4000 card and therefore don't know if it works as DVB-S2+DVB-T tuner in parallel. However, if you find out that it does not work, maybe the DVBSKY T9580 is an alternative that could work for you. I use that DVBSKY card for exactly this scenario (DVB-S2 to receive German TV via Astra, DVB-T to receive Luxembourgish and French programs via terrestrial antenna) and it works flawlessly.

[EDIT] Note, that the DVBSKY card works as DVB-S2+DVB-T in parallel (as described above), but dual-DVB-T is not possible with that card.

• Yes, that's why I edited my posting to make sure it's not misunderstood.

Do you have the HVR 4000 card already? Then you could simply give it a try. However, the information on https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/i…/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000 seems to indicate that it cannot be used to receive from two sources at the same time.

Would two cards (maybe one of them USB if your case or board is limited in the number of PCIE slots) be an option for you?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!