You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to VDR Portal. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 6th 2012, 7:19pm

TV as VDR client

Hi,

I am about to buy a new LED HD TV and I am wondering if it is possible to use a DLNA enabled TVs as streaming client for a central VDR server to watch live TV. The ideal setup would be: turn on TV -> watch live-tv immediatly. Idealy, it would be as easy as using the internal TV tuner. Every solution I have found so far uses a dedicated PC as streaming client.

Sorry if I missed another dedicated thread - if so, please direct me in the right direction.

Thanks...

Wednesday, June 6th 2012, 7:23pm

If you want to use the internal tuner and watch tv immediately, just connect yout antenna or satellite cable to the tuner and turn the TV on. ;)
- VDR: Thermaltake DH 102 mit 7" TouchTFT * Mystique SaTiX-S2 Dual * Debian Wheezy/vdr-2.1.5/graphtft/MainMenuHooks-Patch * Intel Petium G3220 * DH87RL * Zotac GT630 * 1 TB System HDD * 4 GB Corsair Vegance * Harmony 900 (39-44W)
- Server: Zotac H55-ITX WiFi, Core i3 540, 4GB RAM, 4x4TB 3.5" WD RED + 1x500GB 2.5", Cine S2, vdr-2.1.6
- vdr-theme-darkred: https://github.com/TheChief79/vdr-theme-darkred

Wednesday, June 6th 2012, 7:38pm

Thanks for making the effort to answer, but let's try again:

Any TV out there which can work as a VDR client?

Wednesday, June 6th 2012, 8:03pm

I am about to buy a new LED HD TV and I am wondering if it is possible to use a DLNA enabled TVs as streaming client for a central VDR server to watch live TV.

That what you seek is the vdr-plugin-upnp. What kind of a VDR distribution you installed?

Albert

Signatur

HD-VDR | yaVDR 0.5.0 | Cooltek AH-01 | Intel DH67BL | i3-2100 + Kozuti | 4GB | Zotac GT630 | 60GB SSD + 1TB 2,5" | L4M-Twin S2 6.2 | Harmony ONE+ CIR | Samsung UE40C6200
SD-VDR | yaVDR 0.3.2 | MSI Hermes 845GV | P4 2,53 | 2GB | 250GB | TT Premium S-2300 RGB + TT-budget | SCR/Unicable | ausgeborgt
HD-Win. | DVBViewer Pro | Bluechip MT tuned | Core i7 | 16GB | ENGT430 passiv | 240GB SSD + 1TB | TT S2-3200 | X10

Thursday, June 7th 2012, 9:38am

I am still experimenting to get the right system-setup. Currently I am working with ubuntu (11.10) and the newest vdr available in the repositories. Hoever, I am open for any other combination of linux/vdr versions as I will have a dedicated headless vdr server.

With the UPnP plugin installed, does the TV directly control the vdr-server (i.e. switch channels start server-side recording, play recordings, timers, epg, ... vie TV remote = the usual PVR functionalities)?

Thursday, June 14th 2012, 4:20pm

Hi,
I first bought the TV and I am now trying to do the same... I have an LG 42LM660s "SmartTV" with an internet browser and DLNA client on board. So far I have a MediaTomb server running with streamdev URL entries for each channel I want to view and this works with some limitations (speed, comfort etc. ) quite ok. Next level would be to use the ffnetdev plugin that always streams the actual channel to the TV and switch the channels somehow on the TV.
I have also downloaded the SDK and some examples. Unfortunately I am no web app developer and so I am almost lost when I try to modify one example application to suit my needs. But from what I have seen it is possible to write an application that runs on the TV that displays the ffnetdev stream, implements the OSD into a graphical overlay and captures the remote buttons to switch the channels or edit timers etc. But this is still a dream...

Cheers Darkstar.
Hardware: Seagate Dockstar@1500MHz, PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB, emdebian, Streamdev-Server
Videoausgabe: LG 42LM660