yaVDR with ATI and nVidia display card

• Hi,

I have ATI HD4770 display card in the primary PCIe x16 slot of my Asus P7P55D motherboard and an nVidia GT220 display card in the secondary PCIe x16 slot of the motherboard.

I have dual boot with Windows 7 and yaVDR Linux.

Currently whenever I boot to yaVDR, I get no picture from either of the cards. Is it somehow possible to tell yaVDR (and Linux in general) to use the nVidia display card from the secondary PCIe slot?

• Zitat

Original von mbacon
    Currently whenever I boot to yaVDR, I get no picture from either of the cards. Is it somehow possible to tell yaVDR (and Linux in general) to use the nVidia display card from the secondary PCIe slot?

Mabe with the pci option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.yavdr, but nobody from our team has a setup like this.
    yaVDR makes no sense in a dual boot environment.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try this as soon as I have the time.

The primary use of the PC is to use it as a HTPC but for some very rare occasions it would be nice to use it for gaming. The ATI card is far more suitable for gaming than the nVidia.

I assembled the PC a few months ago and at that time I still had an office room. Now the room will become a room for my son so the PC will have to move to the living room and I have to get a laptop. It would be a shame to have all the power of 4-core Intel i5-750 and not to be able to play some modern game every now and then.

But I agree, it doesn't make sense to have dual boot with yaVDR. That doesn't mean that I don't want to do it anyway. :)

• I decided not to use tha ATI card at all, so now I only use the nVidia card and after some tuning I got HDMI audio etc. working.

However, I would not like to waste all the processing power my quad core processor offers, so I was wondering if anyone has installed X desktop to their yaVDR setup? Does anyone know of any tutorial of the matter or if there is none, could someone point me to the right direction how to install X along side with yaVDR? Is it a simple case of installing some .deb packages or is there some expert level configuring involved?

• Zitat

Original von mbacon
    is there some expert level configuring involved?

Yes, absolutely and the yaVDR team don't like this scenario. It will generate more support questions.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• Fair enough. :)

What about the other way around? If I install plain Ubuntu 10.04 and then install the yaVDR stuff from yaVDR repositories? As I understand it, then I would miss the fast startup (not an issue since I plan to keep the machine on 24/7) and yaVDR Web frontend. I would have to do a whole lot of VDR related configuring by hand. This shouldn't be impossible since I can see from the settings template system what kind of things the web interface sets and do it manually myself instead.

I understand that I shouldn't expect any support from you if I do this, but does this seem like something feasible?

• use only the vdr stuff from the repository, not the yavdr stuff and use the vdr-wiki for questions on configuration.

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!