Linux driver problem of TBS Quad tuner card

• Hi,
    I am considering purchasing the TBS6984 Quad DVD-S2 card for
    deployment in a system running Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) or 11.04 (Natty
    Narwal). I have looked through the readme files in the Linux driver RAR
    archive for this card and I can't find any reference to the TBS6984.

Please can anyone confirm that the rar file does in fact include the
    appropriate drivers?

Also, are they any specific instructions for getting this card
    working with MythTV (possibly Mythbuntu) since I see the MythTV logo on
    their official website.

Thanks in advance

Cody

• hi Cody,

TBS 6984 has fully functional Linux driver that will work in any of the two distribution you mentioned - in fact you already have customers using TBS 6984 to build embedded Linux system with it. there is no README file in the Linux driver RAR archive, because it's already flooded with READMEs and they contain all the necessary information - for example steps to install the driver are the same no matter of the model and the rest of the READMEs is how to use some common DVB tools in Linux like 'szap-s2', 'scan-s2', etc which don't depend on specific hardware either. so, basically, you can use any of the READMEs files for

TBS 6984. also, you can check for yourself the driver is present in the
    archive:

linux-tbs-drivers/linux/drivers/media/common/saa716x/saa716x_tbs.[c|h]

also, TBS 6984 drivers for Linux use the standard Linux DVB API version
    5.x (aka S2API) and thus it has support in any Linux DVB application
    including MythTV - there are is nothing specific in the installation and
    it's done as any other DVB device.

Hope that answers your questions. ?(

• Hallo Cody,
    because I'm considering to buy this quad-card also I would ask you to give an field report about your experiences with this card.
    How fast is this card (switching time between broadcasters)?
    Are there artefacts in pictures?
    Are there other points of criticism?

What is positive?

regards
    VD

PS: Are there alternative DVB-S2-Cards with three or four inputs?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vdvogt () aus folgendem Grund: Uebersetzung

• Hello VD,

Actually,There are a number of things that can affect the speed of changing channels – system hardware, TV card, TV card driver, TV software, media codecs, etc. It also depends on where you take the measurement. The following results are taken from the TV Server logs, and indicate the time it takes for the TV card to switch channels.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.buydvb.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/115.jpg
    Very impressive, with all tests sub-second, except DVB-S to DVB-S2 switching which takes a little longer.

My only criticism is that such a high-end card should be matched with a high-end remote. I think the best solution is a white box version of the product so the user can choose their own remote.

As for positive, The channel change speed tests speak for themselves; that, combined with the solid driver and excellent build quality, makes the 6984 an excellent choice for anyone looking to build or expand an HTPC. In fact, unless you’re certain you won’t need more than 2 tuners, I would say just go straight for the 6984 because you’ll end up saving money in the long run.

I didn't have too much experience of other DVB S2 multi-tuner card. I am afraid I can't offer any further suggestion.

Regards!

Cody

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!