VDR + USALS and EPG update

• Hello,

I'm using VDR 2.2. I have a motorized/rotor dish with DVB-S2 card and everything is working fine (USALS settings). The problem is, that VDR triggers EPG scan on my system every 5 hours (the default settings, which is fine) and then VDR start to move the dish back and forth for channels on different satellite position, so my dish is constantly moving between 6 configured satellites.

1) I can disable this only if I set EPG update to 0, but then no EPG is updated. Is there something I can do to prevent VDR to use USALS for EPG update, and update EPG only for the satellite where it is tuned in at the moment of the update is triggered?

2) If the above is not possible, could you implement this update in the next release of VDR that would control EPG update with USALS rotor/motor systems to prevent constant dish movement and update only channels on the satellite where the dish is pointed, just like any enigma STB would do, or any other STBs.

Thank you!

Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Clients: notebook, netbook, desktop, Pi2, WP
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380

• +1 for adding this to VDR, so that it only scans EPG on the current satellite position.

• Bumping up the thread, any chances to see this feature introduced soon? Thanks

Server: Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB HD, 160GB 2.5" system drive, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W, Ubuntu Server Trusty, VDR 2.2.0 + Live, streamdev, epgfixer, epgsearch, restfulapi, vnsi-server
    HTPC1: ASRock 330 ION, 2GB RAM, 32GB 1,8" SSD, Chieftec IX-03B + picoPSU 90W, Kaze Slim 100mm cooler, OE 5.95.4 DualAudio Build + VDR vnsi-client
    Harmony 515 Remote, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Sony STR-DE 585 5.1 DTS, 78 Triax + Inverto Black LNB + Powertech S380

• Sorry for bumping up again, maybe it is not in the correct thread? It would be so good to have an answer from devs about this issue as it is very important for those of us who use motorized systems.

I wonder what does others do with EPG update and motorized dish? I don't want my dish to move back and forth constantly just to upgrade EPG when idle. But I would love to use my motor setup as it is really great. Maybe a patch or something?

• Thanks. And you have epgscan set to 0 in setup.conf?

This way all the channels will be updated and the rotor will move to all the satellites configured?

• Yes. It is a while since I set it up. Presumably "epgscan set to 0" is EPGScanTimeout...

Code
    vdr ~ # grep ^EPG /etc/vdr/setup.conf
    EPGBugfixLevel = 3
    EPGLanguages = eng
    EPGLinger = 0
    EPGScanTimeout = 0

I also have channels.conf sorted by sat position, except for a few channels at the beginning that I watch. And in fact those positions will usually be scanned by my satip tuner. So, 6am vdr wakes up, tunes to BBC R4, and the remaining tuners start scanning for epg data.

vdr: 2.5.6, NUC8i5BEH, MANJARO, OctopusNet-Max DVB-S2 Unicable 8 Slots
    samsung tv: ue46d7090

• If you use BBC = freesat = eepg Plugin, then access to the EPG data is much "easier" for VDR. It gets the full freesat EPG from each (or one) transponder whereas classical EIT epg will not cross the transponder border. So less transponder tuning is necessary to still have a fully blown freesat EPG without any missing data. Other channels might lose on EPG data if their transponders are not being visited frequently.

Cheers,
    hepi

• To avoid moving the dish you could try something like this:

In cEITScanner::Process() get the Device's positioner and check if its LastLongitude() is the same as the Position() of the Channels's source.

Here's a quick hack how this might look (untested and not even compiled):

Code
    if (const cPositioner *Positioner = Device->Positioner()) {
       if (Positioner->LastLongitude() != Channel->Source().Position())
          continue;
       }

Add this right after the line

if (Device->Priority() < 0) {

in cEITScanner::Process() (file eitscan.c) and see what happens.
    Let me know if this works, then I'll add it to the VDR sorce.

Klaus

• Thank you! I will try this out Klaus. Not sure if I understand exactly how to do this, but will check and see.

This should prevent moving the dish and scan only the channels on the satellite where the dish is pointed to?

I need to add this to the source and compile again or edit the installed VDR?

EDIT: kls I'm using the latest 2.2.0 master from http://projects.vdr-developer.org/git/vdr.git/
    May I ask you to please send me the eitscan.c file with the added code as I'm not with too much experience with editing source, and once I have the new eitscan.c file from you I will compile again VDR and see what does it do. I'm not sure about how to indent and syntax in the source, don't want to do something wrong.

EPGScanTimeout doesn't need to be 0, correct?

Thanks!

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• Yes to both of your questions.

Just insert the 4 lines after the one I mentioned. Indentation doesn't matter.
    Then recompile and restart VDR.

Don't be afraid of editing the source. Think of it as just plain text (which it actually is) - It won't bite you ;-).

Klaus

• Hi, it will not compile here with the error:

Here is the diff I use:

• I tried too (Ubuntu Server Trusty), and got the following error immediately at the beginning:

EDIT: Hopefully now with proper indentation.

Here is the modified eitscan.c file:

I hope we can resolve this Klaus! Let me know what to do, I think both Crow and myself will be glad to do the testing.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von fnu ()

• You should put code into code blocks, the file you posted is nearly unreadable without indentation.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• Sorry, edited the post, hope its fine now.

• Sorry, edited the post, hope its fine now.

No, somehow the indentation is completely lost.

Gerald

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1230, 12 GB RAM, 3xWD red 2TB im RAID 5, 2xSundtek MediaTV Home DVB-C/T, L4M TWIN-C/T, Ubuntu Server 14.04.1, Plex Media Server
    Samsung UE55H6470

• :modon

Code Block should be ok now, but it might be better to re-paste the code again into the code block to get the paragraph indent back ...

They have been destroyed by using Quote blocks ...

:modoff

HowTo: APT pinning

• Done, I believe it is fine now.

You can delete the last few post to clean up the topic, sorry for messing with this...

• Nope, that talk is part of this thread.

HowTo: APT pinning

• gurabli: look at the code you posted. You added the lines from Klaus two times, at least partly, one closing brace is missing from the first copy, that is why you get the second error. Why didn't you see that?

Starting from line 153 the formatting of the file is seriously broken, how did you manage that?

The first error shows that Klaus might have done something wrong. Source() returns a variable of type int (and not of type 'in t' like you have shown us). So it can't have a Class-Member Position() as it is no Class.
    So we have to wait for Klaus here.

Gerald

Samsung UE55H6470

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!