VDR - nothing displayed

• Hi

I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to Linux but can normally get by for basic stuff. I recently bought a HP micro server and put EXSI on it to run some VM’s. One of these VM’s is Ubuntu Server. I have installed VDR and XVDR plugin and done an initial scan which picks up correct channels etc. I use XBMC to receive the TV stream via XVDR addon. XBMC displays the list of channels and what current shows are on but wont display the program. I have enabled all clients on the network access to the stream.

OS/Kernal: Ubuntu Server 13.04 x64/ 3.8.0-27-generic
    VDR Version: 2.0.1
    XBMC XVDR Addon: 0.9.8.20130430
    Hardware: HP Microserver N54L
    ESXI Version: 5.1
    USB DVB-T: PCTV Systems DVB-T2 290e nanoStick
    XBMC: Frodo 12.2 (install on OSX Mountain Lion - 10.8.4 - mac mini)

My process:

Setup VM in EXSI:
    ---------------------------
    2 GB RAM
    20 GB HD
    1 Processor
    Added a USB Controller
    Added USB device - 3.8.0-27-generic

Install Ubuntu
    --------------------
    Set IP address and DNS: sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    Install Open ssh: sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client
    Install VMware tools
    Install VDR using this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...stallation
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yavdr/unstable-vdr
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install vdr dvb-apps
    sudo apt-get install vdr-plugin-xvdr
    sudo nano /var/lib/vdr/plugins/xvdr/allowed_hosts.conf (here I edited my allowed hosts)
    sudo scan -x 0 -o vdr -a 0 /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/ukCrystalPalace > /var/lib/vdr/channels.conf - this successfully scans channels
    I then used this http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/VDR to allow VDR to be a service – sudo nano /etc/default/vdr

# Change to 1 do enable vdr's init-script
    ENABLED=1

sudo /etc/init.d/vdr start

Everything starts up fine. I go into XBMC after installing/enabling the XVDR plugin. Channels and information show up in the tv list as well as a time bar of how much of the show is left. I select a channel and it starts to display the program. After a short amount of time the video freezes. I press stop on my remote and am back at the channel list view. Select another channel and nothing happens. Select another channel and nothing happens again. The syslog in Ubuntu seem to suggest the channel switching etc but cant figure out what the problem. It takes a reboot of the Ubuntu server for XBMC to receive tv again and the whole thing happens again. I have also tested this using VLC as the client receiving the stream but still don't get a picture either.

Here are logs of XBMC and my syslogs. Again im not a linux guy so hopefully I have included enough information for any help

XBMC Log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=42307
    Syslog Log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=42308

Many thanks

Please note I have also posted this on the XBMC board @ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170571

• How is your client connected to the server? This might be an indicator for an instable network connection:

Code
    Aug  4 20:36:40 TV-Server vdr: [1522] XVDR: Client with ID 2 seems to be disconnected, removing from client list
    Aug  4 20:36:40 TV-Server vdr: [1543] TS buffer on device 1 thread ended (pid=1498, tid=1543)

Also have you tried to run the vdr outside the VM - using USB devices in a VM can be quite annoying if the driver does time critical operations.

OS/Kernal: Ubuntu Server 13.04 x64/ 3.8.0-27-generic

Why are running something like this with a very short support duration (only until January 2014) on a server? If you choose Ubuntu 12.04 LTS you will get support until 2017 (and you could use the yaVDR Packages directly without messing around using EXSI and usb device integration...

yaVDR-Dokumentation (Ceterum censeo enchiridia esse lectitanda.)

• Thanks seahawk1986

The connection goes like this:

Ubuntu VM - ESXI switch - Cat5E - Asus wireless router - Cat5E - Mac Mini

I will try with 12.04 tonight. VDR needs to be inside a VM as my Microserver hosts other vm's such as Synolody and Windows 7 running backup software and I don't have any more hardware.

• I tried with a x86 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS tonight and the same thing happens

Sys log says

XVDR: timeout. signal lost!
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2735] cLiveStreamer stream processor thread ended (pid=2651, tid=2735)
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2733] XVDR: LiveQueue stopped
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2732] buffer stats: 22748 (0%) used
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2738] TS buffer on device 1 thread ended (pid=2651, tid=2738)
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2737] buffer stats: 22372 (0%) used
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2737] receiver on device 1 thread ended (pid=2651, tid=2737)
    Aug 6 00:02:28 TVServer vdr: [2675] XVDR: Client with ID 4 seems to be disconnected, removing from client list
    Aug 6 00:02:30 TVServer vdr: [2675] loading /var/lib/vdr/plugins/xvdr/allowed_hosts.conf
    Aug 6 00:02:30 TVServer vdr: [2675] XVDR: Client 192.168.1.64:23252 with ID 5 connected.
    Aug 6 00:02:30 TVServer vdr: [2963] XVDR: Welcome client 'XVDR Client' with protocol version '5'
    Aug 6 00:02:30 TVServer vdr: [2963] XVDR: Preferred language: eng,dos / type: 1
    Aug 6 00:02:30 TVServer vdr: [2963] XVDR: --------------------------------------

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!